R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree28Likes

Old 08-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #466
mes
Tech Fanatic

These may be handy if you are running on really loose tracks:

https://www.facebook.com/BezerkRc/posts/887538584670417

Do you think there will be issues with the rear bumper?

Last edited by mes; 08-07-2015 at 01:28 PM.
mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #467
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to HBRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes View Post
These may be handy if you are running on really loose tracks:

https://www.facebook.com/BezerkRc/posts/887538584670417

Do you think there will be issues with the rear bumper?
Dont think it would clear, or it will be very tight. Not alot of room in there.
#ocrcarmy
HBRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #468
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Finally got mine today.
Newbie Rc Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #469
Tech Rookie

Got mine today. Step 1. Missing steering rack. I have two of the longer steering bell crank arms though. :-(

Least my local hobby town has the part so I'll pick it tomorrow and call Team Associated Monday . I was really excited too. I haven't built a rc car from a kit in almost 17yrs. Lol
DrewF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #470
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Great build. All parts, aside from 1-2 3x12mm screws, which i have extra of in my parts box. No defective parts either . Also, the new "non shiney" ball studs are FREE in the cups. IMO, the changed the studs, not the cups. Free as can be. I used the Lunsford Super duty rods....and IMO, they are a bit too long. I dont like the smooth part of the rod going 1/8 in into the cups. Otherwise they are fine and should suit my 9 year old nicely. The spur also appears to be out of round. But I will replace with an avid slipper, once i order more pads. So, all in all 2 thumbs up on the build.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #471
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Picked up mine yesterday after work, had it built and doing laps in 3 hours. Box stock except for shock oils and locations. It is going to need some changes, but I didnt have time last night. Running a saddle pack with a reedy 9.5. Traction seems good so far but the ride height seemed a little high, or maybe it was just the body. My SC10 body fit perfect with just two new holes for the rear. running my SC10 wheels with Panther slicks, will be getting some Electrons and some Primes mounted up soon.

No missing parts and everything went together just as nice as my B5M and T5M. The ball stud issues are finally fixed which was real nice.

Driving it feels very similar to my T5M, which is set up pretty much the same way. I am extremely happy with it. Mods will come soon. I have a 3 gear in my B5M and the MIP in my T5M, so I will probably be swapping them around from car to car and see which one feels the best in which car. I am thinking the MIP would be better in the SCT and the 4 gear in the T5M which has an 8.5 in it. Also waiting for a Schelle motor centering kit to arrive which will probably go in the B5M and in the SCT if I notice a difference.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:23 AM   #472
mes
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBRob View Post
Dont think it would clear, or it will be very tight. Not alot of room in there.
That's what I first thought, but I haven't seen the SC5M myself yet. On the other hand, the car in the pic has 2x25 g mounted, which is a lot. I'll have a set of 1x25 g and 2x10 g as a 'just in case' option part and will see how many plates fit behind the rear bumper without modification. For the time being I'll be happy to try them in my T5M, which I'll rebuild from astro to dirt in the next few days; the joy of having different kinds of outdoor tracks within reach...
mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:46 AM   #473
Tech Regular

Default SC5M errors

got mine yesterday and began build. Manual did not match the parts bags from Bag C forward.

Missing one rear upright spacer, mismatched length rear bumper screws, and two under sized 2M screws for front bumper.

Will build shocks tonight. The chassis design is beautiful, like my B5.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #474
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG RIDER View Post
got mine yesterday and began build. Manual did not match the parts bags from Bag C forward.

Missing one rear upright spacer, mismatched length rear bumper screws, and two under sized 2M screws for front bumper.

I wonder if that's why the online manual isn't out yet. I saw the same thing. There was other errors too. Like some spacers called gold when they was silver. I made notes of the errors, but nothing that'll slow a person down at all.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #475
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 306 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG RIDER View Post

LOL, Yaaa, I had mis-matched hinge pin lengths.
k1ller rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #476
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

yeah, I noticed the bags not matching the instructions.....but never look at that, lol. I look at the picture and go find the parts. No big deal. but i have worked on the 5 series platform for over a year...
Old 08-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #477
Tech Rookie

I had mine out and running today around the yard and road on some Blockade's. With factory settings it handled great. Can't wait to get it out on the tracks. Have some Electrons and Badlands I need to get mounted up. Also need to paint the body. Totally stoked.

Now I need to learn more about 17.5T motors. Ended up running a 78T spur and 25T pinion to start with. Also have the end bell timing on my Tekin Redline turned to 0. The truck seems slow out of the gate compared to some other 2s cars I've driven. Top speed is as expected.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:36 AM   #478
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewF View Post
I had mine out and running today around the yard and road on some Blockade's. With factory settings it handled great. Can't wait to get it out on the tracks. Have some Electrons and Badlands I need to get mounted up. Also need to paint the body. Totally stoked.

Now I need to learn more about 17.5T motors. Ended up running a 78T spur and 25T pinion to start with. Also have the end bell timing on my Tekin Redline turned to 0. The truck seems slow out of the gate compared to some other 2s cars I've driven. Top speed is as expected.
Man, you need to turn that timing on the can up! 17.5 with no timing is like Molasses. You'll be surprised how much it wakes it up with a lot of timing! I don't use a Tekin motor, but to find the sweet spot on that motor, go to the Tekin thread and I'm sure Randy Pike or others that run the Tekin motor will be happy to help you find it!
Associated B5M, Hobbywing Just Stock/Reedy 8.5 Mod Just for fun
Home track OCRC & Home away from home SCVRC
ScottKelly911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #479
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 486 (100%+)

Tekin motors are a little different when it comes to timing. You need to tread lightly there. That being said, my SC5M, and my Kids, are still sitting unbuilt. I have 2 weeks untli the JBRL rolls through my track. No time, lots of stuff to do.

For you guys that built your trucks already, did you cut the cradle? Is that necessary? I'm still on the fence about modifying the truck before trying it stock.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #480
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
Tekin motors are a little different when it comes to timing. You need to tread lightly there. That being said, my SC5M, and my Kids, are still sitting unbuilt. I have 2 weeks untli the JBRL rolls through my track. No time, lots of stuff to do.

For you guys that built your trucks already, did you cut the cradle? Is that necessary? I'm still on the fence about modifying the truck before trying it stock.
Was happy with my build. My brother and I built ours side by side with matching set-ups for ease of tuning options, he can try something, I can try something and tuning should be easier that way. I did not cut the center cradle, using shortys with an eventual square pack. The build was good, you do get lost bag wise after bag c but all in all I was very happy with the build. The ball cups on these are so much smoother. Really impressed so far. Batteries charging and off to Sunday fun day at 702 R/C Raceway!
Axial scx10 rubicon kit Savox/speed passion/Shurr speed signature 17.5
FOURWHEELGURU is offline   Reply With Quote