Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree84Likes

Team Associated SC5M Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Well my 2wd SCT is capable of pulling similar lap times and can stay with any 2wd buggy at my track, except on windy days where the truck can parachute a little bit. It really depends on how you setup the truck, it can be almost as nimble as any 2wd buggy with a shorty pack and some tuning. I am hoping the new SC5M will be even more tunable with the battery placements locations over my DESC210
Old 07-30-2015, 11:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Release Date

Does any one know for sure if they are going to release on the 4th of August at least Amain preorder. I want to start ordering electronics but if its delayed I will hold off. Thanks in advance
Old 07-30-2015, 11:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The One They Call Dirty
If you think they drive like crap, you obviously have never driven a good one or can't make it work yourself. We have a very competitive class here in Illinois/Wisconsin, and we know how to make them work. Most of our trucks are almost as fast on the track as the buggies, usually running a half lap off their pace.
I dont like them because they dont drive like buggies, that is all. I dont like the high cg, how wind effects them and how they dump over. On super high bite, they are very edgy and like to roll over in the corners if you carry any speed. I is cool if you guys love them and it is a much less serious class in club racing. Many of the guys that do run the class here do so because hardly any of the super fast guys run that class. It is more of the avg joe class or novice class truck. I race indoors so wind is a non issue. But they will still parachute unless you hack up the body. The worst part about the SC class is the god awful sound they make. Sounds like garbage cans being kicked around the track.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I dont like them because they dont drive like buggies, that is all. I dont like the high cg, how wind effects them and how they dump over. On super high bite, they are very edgy and like to roll over in the corners if you carry any speed. I is cool if you guys love them and it is a much less serious class in club racing. Many of the guys that do run the class here do so because hardly any of the super fast guys run that class. It is more of the avg joe class or novice class truck. I race indoors so wind is a non issue. But they will still parachute unless you hack up the body. The worst part about the SC class is the god awful sound they make. Sounds like garbage cans being kicked around the track.
So basically from what I hear is, you could possibly like them if you didn't expect it to drive like a buggy and take into account that it handles like a completely different platform. Everything you mentioned is exactly the "fun" parts to combat about the class while still trying to be fast.

That's what makes it exciting now is that for us who race a T5M or B5M there will be lot's of good tried and true methods transpiring through the classes to help tune, and give us options. I make it a point to get rid of the unnecessary body noises and so long as I land flat the rig is still quiet, so that is just a matter of the person driving it.

We get it though, simply you just do not like them and we think that's cool too.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Now what are you going to do when your son beats your B5M with his new SC5M?

SC's and buggy's are different is all - we can agree to that. Neither are for everyone.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by celt
Now what are you going to do when your son beats your B5M with his new SC5M?

SC's and buggy's are different is all - we can agree to that. Neither are for everyone.
My daughter..not son. And i will take her out for ice cream. Then get her a buggy, so she can become a good driver, lol
Old 07-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My daughter..not son. And i will take her out for ice cream. Then get her a buggy, so she can become a good driver, lol
Wait a minute.. A good driver? So people who drive SC's aren't good drivers? Since we're talking about opinions, I believe that it is just as hard or even harder to drive a Sc in stock and be competitive. A good driver can come from any class, Sc, St, or buggy.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by kbish76
Wait a minute.. A good driver? So people who drive SC's aren't good drivers? Since we're talking about opinions, I believe that it is just as hard or even harder to drive a Sc in stock and be competitive. A good driver can come from any class, Sc, St, or buggy.
The smile face was implying sarcasm....lol
Old 07-30-2015, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would agree. Anybody can drive a car that is super easy to drive. Something that is small an nimble is easy to drive. Something large is hard to drive. Why do you think a special drivers license and maritime license is required to drive a big rig truck or a container ship, instead of just a normal car or a speed boat.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ridered4life250
I would agree. Anybody can drive a car that is super easy to drive. Something that is small an nimble is easy to drive. Something large is hard to drive. Why do you think a special drivers license and maritime license is required to drive a big rig truck or a container ship, instead of just a normal car or a speed boat.
He's baiting us fellas, that SC5M he's got pre-ordered isn't for his daughter, it's for him.

She's going to get one of his old buggy's.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I race, and paid for my sc5m today. 0 shame here.

Go ahead and tel Cav that the Sc5m isn't for racing..
Old 07-30-2015, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MyLilPony
Does any one know for sure if they are going to release on the 4th of August at least Amain preorder. I want to start ordering electronics but if its delayed I will hold off. Thanks in advance
I got a call today, and I should have mine by sat. Sounds like they will be in Lake Forest tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by celt
He's baiting us fellas, that SC5M he's got pre-ordered isn't for his daughter, it's for him.

She's going to get one of his old buggy's.
rofl....no. But I will drive it a little. If it does not suck, maybe more than a little.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yes, to the b5m, no to the t5m. That is my opinion. I have "raced" sc and st before. SC drive like crap. They look cool and that is where they end. For me, they just dont have that on rail feeling of 2wd and 4wd buggies. And it you talked to most of the Pro level drivers, I am sure they pretty much all prefer and focus on buggy. SC and ST are side show classes. The reasons I am getting the sc5m have nothing to do with the race-ability of the truck and everything to do with Pros/Cons for my 9 year old. If you love SC "racing" cool. To each their own. You should not take offence, just because someone has a different opinion than you.
I'm first and foremost a buggy racer. Both 2wd and 4wd. It's interesting that before others chimed in, I simply asked if you considered the other vehicles that share 90% of the parts with the SC5 to be race vehicles, and you indicated that one was and the other was not and that I shouldn't take offense. I didn't.

What I think strikes a chord with many here is that:
A. Many buggy drivers (myself for example), enjoy 2wd SCT as second, third or if your a champ, fourth class to run and enjoy the technical hurdles of it. Because Traxxas makes entry level SCTs it gets a bad rep as a basher only class.
Other people who don't run SCT tend to give it this rep because a lot of new drivers start in that class. Many also start as I did with a 2wd buggy. One is not superior to the other when you start out.

B. This is a thread for a new race truck. Regardless if you race 2wd SCT or think it sounds like a garbage can rolling down the driveway, it's still meant to be raced and shares the same parts and race geometry as the B5M. When you come in to a thread and say "I won't race this because I don't consider it a race vehicle" and then follow that up with "but my 9yr old kid might love it" it comes off as insulting and elitist to those that like to run the class as adults and take it seriously.

I think you know this as you seem to not be new to the hobby nor racing, which leads me to believe that stirring the proverbial pot may have been the intention since you wouldn't need to ask SCT drivers if a kit car would be good for a kid. A Traxxas slash might be better actually.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:12 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by likea45
I'm first and foremost a buggy racer. Both 2wd and 4wd. It's interesting that before others chimed in, I simply asked if you considered the other vehicles that share 90% of the parts with the SC5 to be race vehicles, and you indicated that one was and the other was not and that I shouldn't take offense. I didn't.

What I think strikes a chord with many here is that:
A. Many buggy drivers (myself for example), enjoy 2wd SCT as second, third or if your a champ, fourth class to run and enjoy the technical hurdles of it. Because Traxxas makes entry level SCTs it gets a bad rep as a basher only class.
Other people who don't run SCT tend to give it this rep because a lot of new drivers start in that class. Many also start as I did with a 2wd buggy. One is not superior to the other when you start out.

B. This is a thread for a new race truck. Regardless if you race 2wd SCT or think it sounds like a garbage can rolling down the driveway, it's still meant to be raced and shares the same parts and race geometry as the B5M. When you come in to a thread and say "I won't race this because I don't consider it a race vehicle" and then follow that up with "but my 9yr old kid might love it" it comes off as insulting and elitist to those that like to run the class as adults and take it seriously.

I think you know this as you seem to not be new to the hobby nor racing, which leads me to believe that stirring the proverbial pot may have been the intention since you wouldn't need to ask SCT drivers if a kit car would be good for a kid. A Traxxas slash might be better actually.
I am an elitist and dont think I could ever buy a slash. And I helped a buddy try to work on his slash. Might be a good basher, but crap for the track. I would never spend 400 for my kid to jump curbs and drive in puddles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.