R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree35Likes

Old 01-29-2017, 09:54 PM   #2191
Tech Adept

Picked up a sc5m roller a while back. I am getting ready to put the aluminum c & d braces/blocks in. It currently has the plastic ones installed. How do I know what pill configuration to use to get the same setup I have now?
freezeframe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:09 AM   #2192
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thinking of getting back into the mix. My son has an SC10 RTR and I have a SC10.2. I'm thinking of retiring the RTR and building up the SC5M for the boy. It seems like the 3-gear is definitely the way to go. Can anyone sum up what's necessary for the 3-gear tranny? Do I just need the motor plate and tranny case?

Also can't believe there's still not a FT version of this with the 3-gear, aluminum hexes, etc. SMH
Old 01-31-2017, 08:20 AM   #2193
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
Thinking of getting back into the mix. My son has an SC10 RTR and I have a SC10.2. I'm thinking of retiring the RTR and building up the SC5M for the boy. It seems like the 3-gear is definitely the way to go. Can anyone sum up what's necessary for the 3-gear tranny? Do I just need the motor plate and tranny case?

Also can't believe there's still not a FT version of this with the 3-gear, aluminum hexes, etc. SMH
This is what I did when I bough the kit. You just forgot the gear cover. The kit comes with all of the internals but you wont use one of the idler gears.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:51 AM   #2194
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr524 View Post
This is what I did when I bough the kit. You just forgot the gear cover. The kit comes with all of the internals but you wont use one of the idler gears.
Excellent - thanks!
Old 02-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #2195
Tech Fanatic

Just picked one of these up... what do I need to use the FT hexes on the front and rear? I'm also picking up the parts for the 3-gear tranny... any other must-haves? Are squares or shorties better suited?
Old 02-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #2196
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Quote:

Its been a few years since AE did any "factory team" cars. For the most part their cars have been pretty awesome right out of the box and the other stuff has just kind of been upgrades down the road and tuning options. Not all tracks and drivers really benefit from the 3-gear setup and things like the brass c-block and stuff like that, just gives you more options instead of releasing an entire new car with those things that might not benefit in EVERY situation. I do agree with the hexes though, they should just do away with the plastic ones all together.
mxnickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #2197
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Just picked one of these up... what do I need to use the FT hexes on the front and rear?
The front axle has an integrated hex so you would only need the rear set.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #2198
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I put a laydown transmission in this truck and boy did it make a difference. AE really needs to think about rereleasing it with the b6 laydown tranny in it I bet it would sell really well.
cameronspruill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #2199
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

picked one up last week, went thru it and fixed a few problems I found and some stuff I didn't like. Rebuilt the shocks, put it back to the manual setup, going to be running mod on an indoor med to high bite track, with a 8.5 motor, any suggestions as to battery placement (shorty) will only have the springs that came on it to stat with white/white and the recommended 32.5 oil in shocks. or other adjustments I should do to start with.
Braxamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #2200
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Braxamus;14824344]picked one up last week, went thru it and fixed a few problems I found and some stuff I didn't like. Rebuilt the shocks, put it back to the manual setup, going to be running mod on an indoor med to high bite track, with a 8.5 motor, any suggestions as to battery placement (shorty) will only have the springs that came on it to stat with white/white and the recommended 32.5 oil in shocks. or other adjustments I should do to start with

If you don't have the gray front springs or a front sway bar or drilled 3rd hole in the front arm... I would recommend using 35-37.5 oil in the front.
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:34 PM   #2201
Tech Rookie

Default It's an option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronspruill View Post
I put a laydown transmission in this truck and boy did it make a difference. AE really needs to think about rereleasing it with the b6 laydown tranny in it I bet it would sell really well.
I have 2 sc5m. One with 3 gear standup, and one with 3 gear laydown from Shapeways. I really can't tell much difference. About all you really get is more front weight bias, and that can be achieved with a lipo weight. It's an option, but not the holy grail.
rlm996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #2202
Tech Rookie

AeRayls

Do you know anyone running the 3rd hole in the front arms? I'm interested in this....
rlm996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #2203
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlm996 View Post
AeRayls

Do you know anyone running the 3rd hole in the front arms? I'm interested in this....
I ran the 3rd hole forever until, front sway bars came about. I still always run the 3rd hole on the T5 and so just add 1-1-5mm more droop
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #2204
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlm996 View Post
I have 2 sc5m. One with 3 gear standup, and one with 3 gear laydown from Shapeways. I really can't tell much difference. About all you really get is more front weight bias, and that can be achieved with a lipo weight. It's an option, but not the holy grail.
I installed the shapeways laydown tranny in it expecting less roll (carpet racing) can't tell the difference. Still rolls @ same spots/speeds I lowered it a bit more and thats what makes the biggest difference.
czrlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:56 AM   #2205
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr524 View Post
The front axle has an integrated hex so you would only need the rear set.
Which ones of the clamping ones do I need for a direct change with the stock plastic ones without changing the offset?

#71014 (8.5mm)
#71034 (6.0mm)
#91609 (5.0mm)
#91610 (7.0mm)

I'm a bit confused...
Hasi is offline   Reply With Quote