R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree28Likes

Old 11-01-2016, 05:30 AM   #1936
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsK View Post
2 guys at our track run the YZ2 3 gear laydown in theres. The B6 box i have not seen yet.
I considered it on my old B5m, and went with the YZ2 gearbox instead because of the work involved. You can run the shocks in front of the arms with the YZ2 gearbox on the buggy if you use the YZ2 tower and B6 arms. In my SC5m I used the Shapeways ACRC 3 gear laydown and the 2 piece battery hold down with fan mount. It drops right in with no drilling, and It's been super reliable after about 4 months of racing on carpet.
Associated T5M
Scott R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #1937
Tech Adept

I just got a used roller. It was only run a few times and everything looks pretty good. It does have the buggy shock tower mod and the MIP 3gear. I was wondering if any of you run the 3gear and how do you like it? The truck didn't come with the std tranny, so I am kinda stuck with it.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #1938
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Guys I need a little help, I am 95% sure my wife is getting me a SC5M for Christmas. I got back into RC in the fall with the RC8B3E and RC8T3E after quitting in 2004. This brushless motor stuff I am not fully understanding. I went with the Hobbywing XR8 plus ESC and 1900kv/2250kv motors for my !/8 scale. For the SC5M I am looking at the XR8 SCT Pro ESC (I wanna stick with HW as I have the LCD programmer) and a 4000kv HW motor to run mod class. Does this sound about right? From looking around a 8.5T is like 4050kv. One more question to run stock (17.5) or pro stock (13.5) class do I just grab a motor to that spec?
Old 11-03-2016, 11:06 PM   #1939
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

That esc is overkill, it's more for 8th scale and 4x4 short coarse. Get the hobbywing xr10 pro or the v3.1 both of those wil handle a modified motor good. You can get the xr10 with a motor combo like this. www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywing-xr10-pro-sensored-brushless-esc-v10-motor-combo-7.5t-hwa38020218/p520603
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:11 PM   #1940
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Regarding your 17.5 and 13.5 question, yes pretty much just make sure where you're racing if they are using roar rules to make sure the motor meets those specs which most do. Gearing will be different for the motors but a simple search should get you in the ball park. If you plan on running stock in your sc hobby wing has a new xr10 pro stock spec v4 esc that should handle down to a 13.5 in short coarse I hear maybe more in a lighter vehicle as well.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:50 AM   #1941
Tech Adept

Thank you Eli.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:28 AM   #1942
Tech Adept

Just seen that MIP discontinued some of their stuff for this truck and the T5M dropped in price at Tower. New 6 versions coming soon?
Old 11-08-2016, 05:41 AM   #1943
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

hey guys, quick question about shocks. My track that I run on is pretty high bite clay but they race oval on Saturday and build the offroad track with steel ramps on Sundays. Some of them have a pretty steep takeoff to them and I have been having trouble with the back of the truck bottoming out and slapping on the takeoff which causes a pretty drastic nose-down attitude in the air. I bumped the rear shock oil up from 30 to 32.5 which helped a little bit but was wondering if there was something else I was missing.

I am running the Cavalieri setup from the AE site with the only change being that shock oil change and moving the rear shocks to the inner hole on the tower and rear camber link to the inner hole on the hub. https://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/c...lieri_ROAR.pdf
mxnickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #1944
JsK
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnickj View Post
hey guys, quick question about shocks. My track that I run on is pretty high bite clay but they race oval on Saturday and build the offroad track with steel ramps on Sundays. Some of them have a pretty steep takeoff to them and I have been having trouble with the back of the truck bottoming out and slapping on the takeoff which causes a pretty drastic nose-down attitude in the air. I bumped the rear shock oil up from 30 to 32.5 which helped a little bit but was wondering if there was something else I was missing.

I am running the Cavalieri setup from the AE site with the only change being that shock oil change and moving the rear shocks to the inner hole on the tower and rear camber link to the inner hole on the hub. https://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/c...lieri_ROAR.pdf

Stiffer rear springs and /or more antisquat.
JsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #1945
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

on a "normal" jump, this is called butt slap.

More (maybe 1mm or less) rear ride height is the normal fix, IF the rest of the RC's setup is good.

If the jumps don't have a radius or enough radius leading from the level surface to the middle of the jump surface. You will need to adjust your driving to fit the jump.

As you can see it can be done. The track owner had just watched >> LIVE << the Robbie Gordon's Stadium SUPER Truck race in St Pete, FL. And wanted the same racing at his track.

RC10GT2-E, SC5M, RC10T2, Spec-R S2, FX10

Last edited by tmail55; 11-08-2016 at 10:36 AM.
tmail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #1946

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

You could also try running the 3 x 1.4 pistons in the rear.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #1947
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnickj View Post

Hey Nick, Not sure if you saw my truck in the mains but it was really good. I'm also basically running the Cav setup as well. The changes I've made were raised ride height to 29mm front 27mm rear and -1 camber all around.
I also removed the under battery weight since I have it set up for 17.5 SCT.

I'll be at the track tonight trying to get this B6 dialed in. I can take a look at yours if you're going to be there or grab me on Sunday.
sduffy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #1948
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduffy77 View Post
Hey Nick, Not sure if you saw my truck in the mains but it was really good. I'm also basically running the Cav setup as well. The changes I've made were raised ride height to 29mm front 27mm rear and -1 camber all around.
I also removed the under battery weight since I have it set up for 17.5 SCT.

I'll be at the track tonight trying to get this B6 dialed in. I can take a look at yours if you're going to be there or grab me on Sunday.
Yea I will be there tonight. I was thinking of trying to take the battery weights out and move the battery farther back and see what that does.
mxnickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #1949
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Im currently building a stock racer and have received tons of tips from the local fast guys.

Now I would like to see what suggestions you guys have for the musts of building a stock 17.5 SCT racer?
atvracer9m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #1950
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

What are you guys doing to help with the chassis roll? My track is high bite clay and I've got Cav's SRS setup on it but the truck still has a ton of roll. I did make it better by adding the 3rd hole in the front arm. This helped a lot but the truck is still a handful at times. I've heard some adding B5m rear shocks and tower but I figured that is just for carpet.
I have thought about adding the front sway bar that walliebuilds offers.
RC8.2e
Sticky Kicks RC - Voodoo Racing Cells - Dialed Hobbies
twindad98 is offline   Reply With Quote