Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree84Likes

Team Associated SC5M Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon
Honest opinions for a racer on a budget:

Is the SC5M worth the cost over a dialed in SC10.2? I'm on medium bite tight indoor track with many 180's and the 10.2 is doing fine. I'm after a "set it and forget" all-purpose setup. Is the SC5M really going to be better in this regard than the SC10.2? Please only respond if you have experience with both trucks. Thank you!
I have only raced the sc5m once so far. But for me is felt a lot smoother all around. Is it faster? i don't know yet but i think once I get used to it a little bit it will be a better over all truck.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default I would say yes

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon
Honest opinions for a racer on a budget:

Is the SC5M worth the cost over a dialed in SC10.2? I'm on medium bite tight indoor track with many 180's and the 10.2 is doing fine. I'm after a "set it and forget" all-purpose setup. Is the SC5M really going to be better in this regard than the SC10.2? Please only respond if you have experience with both trucks. Thank you!
I have ran my SC5m on a smaller 40x80 indoor track that I would consider Medium Grip at best and I feel it is faster than my SC10.2. I TQ and win at our club level with my SC10.2 and had no problem winning with the SC5m. I don't know if I can tell you it was faster but it felt faster and for me it feels much closer to my B5m in the way it drives, jumps and lands now. Plus we have a small sweeper that I can drive through so much harder then I ever could with the rear motor truck. I am still tuning on the SC5m but I have no plans of looking back. I was also running the 3gear trans in it and loved the truck all around with that setup.

I don't think you can go wrong but it may depend on how comfortable you are with a mm vehicle over a rm vehicle.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Alan
Old 10-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

I just built my new SC5M and tested it on a loose track. What springs are people going to from the kit springs? I am really happy with the truck out of the box. I upgraded to clamping hexes all around. Brass C plate, Ti turnbuckles and an aluminum front hinge pin brace. I also swapped out the 4 gear for the 3 gear tranny.

I am running a Novak Pulse V2 Vulcan 7.5t powerplant with a Reedy saddle pack. So far so good.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TomErickson
I just built my new SC5M and tested it on a loose track. What springs are people going to from the kit springs? I am really happy with the truck out of the box. I upgraded to clamping hexes all around. Brass C plate, Ti turnbuckles and an aluminum front hinge pin brace. I also swapped out the 4 gear for the 3 gear tranny.

I am running a Novak Pulse V2 Vulcan 7.5t powerplant with a Reedy saddle pack. So far so good.
It's my understanding that you can use any of the big bore springs. You might need to change your cups to get the right height you want.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Gray Front

Originally Posted by TomErickson

I am running 35 Weight and Gray Truck Springs in front, 30 Weight with White Trucks Springs in back and the truck is amazing. Love the 3 gear trans as well. If you are on really loose conditions you may want to consider going back the the 4 gear if you need a little more traction right when you are picking up the throttle out of the corners.

I am running the Bras C Plate and a 30 Gram SMC Battery Weight in the back of the truck and it is very good on Low to Medium Conditions.

Good Luck!
Old 10-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

On wet dirt I'm running an MIP 3 gear, green truck springs, brass c mount, and a square pack. I was running the same exact settings on high traction bluegroove with grey fr/rr truck springs (Kyosho yellow fr and the stock rears till I got the truck greys). I'll lower the shock oil tomorrow....I've been short on time. The truck is pretty good but not as good as the SC6 was right out of the box. Personally, I think its a little too light. That being said, I'm a believer in the new B5 series and I'm sure that I can get it right. Its not like I'm finishing last....2nd last weekend.

I don't think the truck is really any "faster" than any other but I like it none the less. Cars aren't faster per se, people are faster, track time makes people faster. I don't want to insult anybody but its kinda of dumb thinking that a new rig is going to make you faster. So, just to reiterate, set up, practice, and good choice of tires make you faster....and some people are lucky enough to be naturally more coordinated (not me).
Old 10-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

oops. the search does work.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I apologize for asking what has probably been discussed many times, but what gearing are you guys using for 17.5T?
The supplied 78t spur gear doesn't provide room for a pinion higher than 27t. Probably why the manual recommends that pinion size...

The motor is a brand new Reedy 540-M3 Spec, stock timing. Indoor clay track.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

78/26 should be about right. If your motor is a short stack you may want to start with a 25 pinion.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
78/26 should be about right. If your motor is a short stack you may want to start with a 25 pinion.
Ok, will give her a go! Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To the guy's running the 3 gear tranny. Are you all running 17.5 motors? Is anyone running that tranny in the modded class?
Old 10-23-2015, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ALLSPEED
To the guy's running the 3 gear tranny. Are you all running 17.5 motors? Is anyone running that tranny in the modded class?
I run mod with mine 7.5t and I really like the way it runs. Now I've never ran mine with a 4 gear tranny so I don't know the difference. I used Cav's setup because they always work well for me and he runs a 3 gear.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Gpeters66
I run mod with mine 7.5t and I really like the way it runs. Now I've never ran mine with a 4 gear tranny so I don't know the difference. I used Cav's setup because they always work well for me and he runs a 3 gear.
OK I'll install it and try it out. See what happens.

Also has anyone tried the gear different in this vehicle? I'm having trouble with the ball and thinking of switching it out. I just want to know the opinions of those who tried it already.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dnt know if this was asked yet the setup sheets dont metion it at least from what ive seen the shim on the rear arms where is everyone putting them the manual says towards the front of the arm but what will it do if i put it at the rear of the arm
Old 10-27-2015, 05:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

I finished my kit and took it to the track for testing yesterday. Somehow, I had messed up the ball diff and the thing had zero traction. Many thanks to Mike at Hobby Town Lake In The Hills for diagnosing and repairing the car.
It ran great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.