R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Offical Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree18Likes

Old 10-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #991
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Same here, screw just stripped as I was threading it in. Had to get a new set of hexes. Was not too pleased with that purchase. Truck is good though so i'm not too upset.
I am running the plastic ones for now. Waiting for JC or someone to release a better hex. Worst case, I will drill out the plastic hex and grub screw it, so it does not fall off when removing tires.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #992
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdanger View Post
You can go wrong with SMC batteries! Great price and excellent performance!

http://www.smc-racing.net/
I have noticed others mentioning smc batteries. They are like half the price of Reedy and the like. Are they that similar?

Thanks everyone for the input on upgrade parts. I think I'll grab the titanium turnbuckles. Other than that we will build it and see what he breaks!
JHKracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #993
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
So...I am having issues with the rear hexes. It appears one of the hexes stripped out, even though I was extra gentle with it, since I heard people were breaking screws. Does anyone else make a better rear hex? Has anyone tried a longer screw? If so, how long?
I had the same thing happen. I read about the issue earlier in the thread so I was extra careful when putting them in. It seemed like the screw barely started to grab then it just slipped.

Do you think AE can get these fixed or offer a replacement program? I'm not sure if someone makes a similar sized screw with bigger threads.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #994
Tech Prophet

It is a 2mm screw. I was wondering if a longer screw that engaged more threads was called for. I only ever tightened my enough to keep it from falling off. Often was I having to snug it down a little more, because it kept coming loose. The manual says it is a m2x4. Maybe a m2x6 would be best
Old 10-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #995
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
It is a 2mm screw. I was wondering if a longer screw that engaged more threads was called for. I only ever tightened my enough to keep it from falling off. Often was I having to snug it down a little more, because it kept coming loose. The manual says it is a m2x4. Maybe a m2x6 would be best
The screw is actually a 1.6mm

I bought some online that are 1.6x6 seemed to work better
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #996
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeRayls View Post
The screw is actually a 1.6mm

I bought some online that are 1.6x6 seemed to work better
ok. thx. I am unsure why they went so small. the B4 generation had 2mm screws I am pretty sure
Old 10-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #997
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHKracing View Post
I have noticed others mentioning smc batteries. They are like half the price of Reedy and the like. Are they that similar?
Never having tried Reedy batteries, I couldn't tell you, but the SMC has higher Mah and a higher C rating (if you care about proprietary, non-industry standardized numbers) for $7 less.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #998
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdanger View Post
Never having tried Reedy batteries, I couldn't tell you, but the SMC has higher Mah and a higher C rating (if you care about proprietary, non-industry standardized numbers) for $7 less.
my SMC packs always puffed pretty easily. That was my main issue. And the IR numbers are not great.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #999
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Carpet setup

Looking for some help on setup. My local track will be switching from a dirt/clay to a carpet track. I've never driven on carpet and don't know much other than what I've seen at Yatabe. Track size is medium about 80x60. I'm running a 10.5 motor. I currently run a ball diff and have added the brass front rear block (c or d). And would love to hear on some setup for this type of traction surface. Please no front wing on a truck! Lol
kbish76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #1000
Tech Addict

Quote:
my SMC packs always puffed pretty easily. That was my main issue. And the IR numbers are not great.
The 4600 shorty is the only one I've seen swell. Mainly because it is the biggest mah you can cram in a ROAR sized case. Your IR and swelling issues maybe user related, or maybe just bad luck. I've got 14 various smc batteries. The only other brand that has held a low IR is venom, and I can't afford those.
vfrninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #1001
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrninja View Post
The 4600 shorty is the only one I've seen swell. Mainly because it is the biggest mah you can cram in a ROAR sized case. Your IR and swelling issues maybe user related, or maybe just bad luck. I've got 14 various smc batteries. The only other brand that has held a low IR is venom, and I can't afford those.
yeah, the 4600. And it arrived in the mail swelled.... lol
Old 10-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #1002
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I am running the plastic ones for now. Waiting for JC or someone to release a better hex. Worst case, I will drill out the plastic hex and grub screw it, so it does not fall off when removing tires.
Tap them out and put a bigger screw in
Old 10-30-2015, 06:54 AM   #1003
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure that Fantom and SMC sell the same lipos. For the money the SMC is excellent. They don't even sell the 4600 anymore.

The lowest IR that I've experienced in a pack is/was actually a new 100C Protek....the packs with the 5mm bullets. They pull some great numbers on the charger and feel good on the track as well. I was hesitant to buy them because of my past experiences with the Protek lipos but their new packs seem to be as good, or better, than the Trinity packs which cost twice as much.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:02 AM   #1004
Tech Regular

I've got my kit on order. This will be my first SCT. I have a question...

Do you cut the tire foams?

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:32 AM   #1005
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

Quote:
ok. thx. I am unsure why they went so small. the B4 generation had 2mm screws I am pretty sure
Brand new set, same issue, it looks like the anodizing is getting into the threading cause when I tried to thread in the screws it went in pretty easy, then just stopped, but was nowhere near fully threaded on. Tried some Yokomo screws that were longer and same issue. Only on the 8.5mm hexes, all others thread in just fine.