R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Offical Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree18Likes

Old 10-27-2015, 06:38 AM   #976
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sargent View Post
I finished my kit and took it to the track for testing yesterday. Somehow, I had messed up the ball diff and the thing had zero traction. Many thanks to Mike at Hobby Town Lake In The Hills for diagnosing and repairing the car.
It ran great.
Nice. The whole team at LITH/Timewarp is awesome.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #977
Tech Rookie

Hi everyone. I am thinking of getting my son this truck for xmas. He has bashed around and is ready for his first team kit. I race the RC10B5M and love it. He has all the electronics and motor for the upgrade. (17.5/ Tekin ESC) Any suggestions for battery and upgrade parts? Thanks!
JHKracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #978
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHKracing View Post
Hi everyone. I am thinking of getting my son this truck for xmas. He has bashed around and is ready for his first team kit. I race the RC10B5M and love it. He has all the electronics and motor for the upgrade. (17.5/ Tekin ESC) Any suggestions for battery and upgrade parts? Thanks!
just titanium turnbuckles and the grey front truck springs.

Mugen Seiki/Yokomo Usa/Protek/Amain/R1 Wurks/Flashpoint/KW Raceway
robbie_gtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #979
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

im still needing some serious help with ride height. with the 5mm shock cups and 54 mm gray springs up front and the shock white 72mm springs in the rear my ride height up front is 40mm and the arms are flat across and the shock collars are 7mm. this is with a battery and all electronics. any clue what could be wrong? im seriously getting frustrated.
bo duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #980
Tech Regular

Quote:
Any suggestions for battery and upgrade parts? Thanks!
You can go wrong with SMC batteries! Great price and excellent performance!

http://www.smc-racing.net/

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:19 AM   #981
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
As far as the battery goes the SMC are great batteries!

But for upgrades I would for sure get titanium turbuckles, Lunsford makes a great kit or just the FT AE ones are good too. Then I would recomend getting a 3 Gear for it, it already comes with the V2 aluminum top shaft so all you need is the Trans case, gear cover, and 3 gear motor plate so a pretty cheap option that makes huge improvements.
Mxer210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:45 AM   #982
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo duke View Post
im still needing some serious help with ride height. with the 5mm shock cups and 54 mm gray springs up front and the shock white 72mm springs in the rear my ride height up front is 40mm and the arms are flat across and the shock collars are 7mm. this is with a battery and all electronics. any clue what could be wrong? im seriously getting frustrated.
If the arms are flat across your ride height is not 40mm, or you have some monster truck tires on..lol Where are you measuring ride height at? It is usually measured from the ground to the bottom of the chassis, just behind the kickup in the chassis.
ricerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:48 AM   #983
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Why are you guys recommending the Titanium turnbuckles? Have you been bending them. I have the kit turnbuckles on both my B5's, my T5m and my SC5m. Have not bent a single one.

Also, I am running the kit front springs with great success. Jumps amazing. Handles like a dream. I did lighten up the truck in some areas and added the brass blocks at the rear. Maybe that's why.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jjlove1217?feature=mhee
https://www.facebook.com/jim.hustins.rc.racer
Jim Hustins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:40 AM   #984

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I'm curious like Jim why folks are recommending the titanium turnbuckles. I've been running the kit turnbuckles on my B5M and SC5M for months now. I don't crash often (not that good...just pretty cautious). Maybe that's why.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:36 AM   #985
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
I'm curious like Jim why folks are recommending the titanium turnbuckles. I've been running the kit turnbuckles on my B5M and SC5M for months now. I don't crash often (not that good...just pretty cautious). Maybe that's why.
For me it's a strength and weight thing. I have seen the stock turnbuckles bend several times. I do wreck on occasion so I have always ran the titanium turnbuckles.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:55 AM   #986
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Upgrades

Titanium Turn Buckles:
This is an upgrade I always make for same reason as others, I don't crash often but sometime it happens not to our own fault. I would hate to not finish a race because of a broken turn-buckle. I know some have bent the stock ones on the trucks.

Front Spring:
This is really subjective to your type of track and other setup options. I personally like the Gray truck springs in the front as it really plants the rear of the truck. This can be really helpful if you are also running a 3-gear trans as I have been as well. It is a good idea to have this spring on hand as a tuning option rather than consider it an upgrade.

Brass Weight:
I have been running a Brass C block and and SMC 30g Brass Lipo weight at the back of the battery tray. I have felt my truck is amazing to drive and very planted without feeling pushy or loose. This combined with the 3 gear make for a great balance and it jumps perfect. Again not saying that this is a needed upgrade but again more of a tuning option.

Hope this helps...

Good Luck!
RC America - XRay - Hudy - Maclan Racing - Xpert Servos - Schelle Racing Innovations - AKA Racing Products - DE Racing - Sticky Kicks - Sanwa

Last edited by JFuel11; 10-28-2015 at 07:47 AM.
JFuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:37 AM   #987
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Apparently there are two different front gray springs. Which one is the one you all recomend?
Old 10-28-2015, 07:46 AM   #988
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Gray Truck Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLSPEED View Post
Apparently there are two different front gray springs. Which one is the one you all recomend?
I am only running the new Truck Springs from AE. Part Number 91637

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts...ay_4_45_lb_in/
RC America - XRay - Hudy - Maclan Racing - Xpert Servos - Schelle Racing Innovations - AKA Racing Products - DE Racing - Sticky Kicks - Sanwa
JFuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #989
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

So...I am having issues with the rear hexes. It appears one of the hexes stripped out, even though I was extra gentle with it, since I heard people were breaking screws. Does anyone else make a better rear hex? Has anyone tried a longer screw? If so, how long?
Old 10-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #990
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
So...I am having issues with the rear hexes. It appears one of the hexes stripped out, even though I was extra gentle with it, since I heard people were breaking screws. Does anyone else make a better rear hex? Has anyone tried a longer screw? If so, how long?
Same here, screw just stripped as I was threading it in. Had to get a new set of hexes. Was not too pleased with that purchase. Truck is good though so i'm not too upset.