R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Offical Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree24Likes

Old 09-06-2015, 07:22 PM   #796
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow1000rider03 View Post
Using the jconcepts one on mine. Very nicely done.
Thanks! I went ahead and ordered one
Old 09-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #797
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ96 View Post
Ran my Sc5m for the first time this weekend, the grey front springs made a huge difference, along with an oil change to the shocks. Still tends to step out a little in the corners on exit. I almost want to try a blue spring up front. other than that, this truck rips!!
I don't see an SC5m blue spring. Just green, white and grey.
islandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #798
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandscott View Post
I don't see an SC5m blue spring. Just green, white and grey.
part# 91330
AntiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #799
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiM View Post
part# 91330
That's the old front spring and they don't follow the same ratings. They are wound totally different.

Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #800
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)

As far as I can tell they are only going to have 3 different spring rates available for now. When I go to order them there's only soft/stock/firm. The rates they list for the soft and firm are 3.75/4.45lb and 2.2/2.6lb. Like I've said before, I'm 100% convinced that they are the same the Kyosho SC6/RT6 springs. The clear X rings are identical to Kyosho's as well.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #801
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Just built my sons shocks. Can't wait to see his truck in action.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:15 AM   #802
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeRayls View Post
That's the old front spring and they don't follow the same ratings. They are wound totally different.
My bad, I had the Associated page up and posted without a clue. So the "new" springs are 91635-91641?

I'm trying to read and learn without asking a lot of dumb questions, but sometimes I hit a snag. I'm assuming for a high bite, slicks running, indoor track like SRS or Warehouse 3 (for Phoenix locals) my options are stick with the stock whites or try out the grays or grays up front only? Cavalieri's set-up sheet just listed AE white truck for springs at SRS. Thanks.

One other question. Should a newbie even be looking at Cavalieri's set-up or stick with stock until he can run around the track without hitting something?
Old 09-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #803

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Disclaimer: this is only my opinion!!
The top drivers show up at big events with a mod buggy, a wheeler, possibly a stadium truck, and a short course truck. They have limited track time and have to prioritize their tuning time to 3 possibly 4 platforms. From what I have heard, 2wd short course is almost always last on the list. I personally would stick with the kit setup but change the front oil to at least 35 wt along with a stiffer spring. If you have a sweeper on your track, you might also want to consider adding a sway bar to the front as well (see Ray Munday's thread and posts). I have also shortened the wheelbase up all the way for the tracks I run on (medium/high grip outdoor). Hope this helps.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #804
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Twotan

just Ordered my SC5M. Where do I get a chassis skin from?
Old 09-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #805
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
Disclaimer: this is only my opinion!!
The top drivers show up at big events with a mod buggy, a wheeler, possibly a stadium truck, and a short course truck. They have limited track time and have to prioritize their tuning time to 3 possibly 4 platforms. From what I have heard, 2wd short course is almost always last on the list. I personally would stick with the kit setup but change the front oil to at least 35 wt along with a stiffer spring. If you have a sweeper on your track, you might also want to consider adding a sway bar to the front as well (see Ray Munday's thread and posts). I have also shortened the wheelbase up all the way for the tracks I run on (medium/high grip outdoor). Hope this helps.

Hey, at this point any info is helpful, thanks for taking the time. The more I can learn before I actually get it on the track the better. I'll add the heavier fronts to my (ever growing) shopping list. My main concern with following a pro's set-up was getting a truck that was fast, but hard for a rookie to learn on. Couple of more paychecks and I'll start quizzing the guys at the local tracks for specifics.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #806
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Got to turn some laps last week at OCRC. Gear diff with 10k, white front/green rear springs with 35/32.5 oils. Very stable, but lots of push, and it nose dived a bit off jumps if you didn't keep some throttle on. Overall, it was good, but I've decided to go 3 gear and not mess with the 4. 3 Gear coming soon...
I will also be dropping the 10k down, I'm sure it was a bit thick..
Old 09-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #807
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)

Although I modified the heck out of my truck at the point in build, the one thing that I don't have and have never heard of is push with the SC5M. I bet the 10k is way too much. Go to 3 or 5k and stock springs. That's hard to believe. clearly something is not right. There's so much traction at OCRC there's no way you should any push....are you on the right tires?
Old 09-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #808
Tech Regular

OCRC, My first practice was Thursday, my first race was Sunday. Qualified 6th in Rookie and finished 7th. I ran pretty much stock set up, with the 17.5 motor. I was getting annoyed that everyone was smoking me on the straight. After checking the manual, I am embarrassed to say I blew the gearing, I installed 27t pinion with a 84t spur, I was supposed to go with the 78t spur. Just a little under geared, I am such a new; P
Overall the car was easy and fun to drive, I had blast and my lap times have been slowly dropping.

I have to go back soon, It just has to feel so much better with the 78t spur; )
Old 09-09-2015, 08:06 AM   #809
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
Although I modified the heck out of my truck at the point in build, the one thing that I don't have and have never heard of is push with the SC5M. I bet the 10k is way too much. Go to 3 or 5k and stock springs. That's hard to believe. clearly something is not right. There's so much traction at OCRC there's no way you should any push....are you on the right tires?
I'm pretty sure the 10k is way too thick as well, but with all the hype of the 3 gear, im just gonna do it and then make changes from there. I have a second gear diff that will be getting 5k when the 3Gear goes in (ordered parts yesterday). Tires were good.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #810
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysdaddy View Post
I'm pretty sure the 10k is way too thick as well, but with all the hype of the 3 gear, im just gonna do it and then make changes from there. I have a second gear diff that will be getting 5k when the 3Gear goes in (ordered parts yesterday). Tires were good.
Every time I've added a gear diff it has caused the vehicle to push a little more. I prefer a ball diff but that's just me.