R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Offical Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree18Likes

Old 08-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #691
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Everyone has had trouble with clamping hexes. All you have to do is clamp them down with some pliers and not go so torque crazy on the screw and it's fine.
NeedsHobbyMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:38 PM   #692
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoKY View Post
Very disappointed in Team Associates part quality. First I had two defective turnbuckles in my kit and now I find that one of the threads on the clamping axles (71013) is bad. So far their quality controls are not looking good.
Defective turnbuckles? How were they defective?

I stripped an axle cross threading the nut on one of my t5m front axles but other then that haven't had any issues with any of our 4 b5m's and my t5m amd sc5m.

Mugen Seiki/Yokomo Usa/Protek/Amain/R1 Wurks/Flashpoint/KW Raceway
robbie_gtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:24 AM   #693
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_gtc View Post
Defective turnbuckles? How were they defective?
The first one had grooved rings instead of threads (that is the only way I can describe them) and the other did not have threads at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsHobbyMoney View Post
Everyone has had trouble with clamping hexes. All you have to do is clamp them down with some pliers and not go so torque crazy on the screw and it's fine.
Clamping hexes are fine, it's the axle that is defective. The threads are not cut deep enough. The nut will not thread onto the axle.
GonzoKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:30 AM   #694
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAE View Post
Can anyone tell me how the sc5m handles compared to the losi 22sct or proline pro 2?
Just got to test them back to back last weekend. I hVe a 22 sct 2.0, that I have been racing for almost a year, and I just got my son the sc5m, he has been driving a tekno for about the last year and no 2wd. The sc5m is an outstanding truck. Within 1 pack I was as fast as my losi and my son who hasn't driven 2wd in a year beat me,,actually I got 3rd. 1st and 2nd were sc5m
mxturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:42 AM   #695
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstreelm View Post
I ran the truck at our local Wednesday night race lat night and ran into some problems...Had to exit the first qualifier because of an electronics issue...got that sorted and went into the second qualifier.

About 2/3 of the way into the race, my right front wheel came off. At first I just thought I hadent snugged up the wheel nut but when I got the truck after the race I looked at the wheel and the axel, inserts and bearing were all still attached to the wheel! The actual steering block had cracked allowing the inserts to pull out.

OK I thought, maybe it was a fluke, replaced it with the "hard" version...

Ran the A main, finished (and won!)

After the mains I was running a few laps, practicing and letting some other guys drive it...i took a jump a little off and the same wheel went flying off. The brand new hard hub shattered.

Not sure whats going on here, our track IS pretty hard on vehicles if you get landings wrong.

I thin my next step is going to get another set of the standard "soft" steering blocks and glueing the inserts in. I'm hoping that that will help to reinforce the part as a whole....

Also, after only 6 total runs, the screws holding the front bumper to the oval shaped brace completely pulled out, obviously from several hard impacts.

DUD.. it looks like your driving beet the *#$@*%! out of it.... Just saying
Tim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:09 AM   #696
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
I just sold my 22 SCT 2.0. The SC5M is a better truck. I had a hard time finding balance in traction from front to rear with the Losi. Other than that it was pretty good. However, within two adjustments from bone stock on my SC5M I was as fast as the Losi on a low/medium grip track that was dry, dusty, with wind blowing at 20+mph. It was a pleasure to drive.
Darn it! I've been waiting to hear about comparison results on low-medium
traction tracks since that's all I race on, hoping that the TLR would be just
as good... I need to upgrade my SC10 but didn't want to buy all new batteries!

LOL. Oh well... if I get the SC5M at least I can reuse my old tires I guess.

One last question bds81175... the other 22sct you tested... was it configured
for rear motor, which would probably have been optimal on your low grip track?
stelio279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #697
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
I just sold my 22 SCT 2.0. The SC5M is a better truck. I had a hard time finding balance in traction from front to rear with the Losi. Other than that it was pretty good. However, within two adjustments from bone stock on my SC5M I was as fast as the Losi on a low/medium grip track that was dry, dusty, with wind blowing at 20+mph. It was a pleasure to drive.
just curious what did you adjust or change
atvracer9m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #698

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Losi was mid motor as well. I'm a pretty firm believer that mid motor is just plain better. It can be as fast in the loose and will be faster in the high grip. And for me, it's funner to drive. I moved the rear arm shock mounting location out, changed the front shock oil to 35 and the rear to 30, and changed the roll center in the rear from -2 with 3mm of washers to +2 with 2mm of washers. I guess that's actually four changes if we are counting.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #699
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I ran mine last night on our outdoor loose and fluffy and it was awesome box setup !
Scottysspeedsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #700
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Losi was mid motor as well. I'm a pretty firm believer that mid motor is just plain better. It can be as fast in the loose and will be faster in the high grip. And for me, it's funner to drive. I moved the rear arm shock mounting location out, changed the front shock oil to 35 and the rear to 30, and changed the roll center in the rear from -2 with 3mm of washers to +2 with 2mm of washers. I guess that's actually four changes if we are counting.
Why are you running +4mm in the rear? That is a super low RC...

Proud To Represent: Fantom Racing - Schelle Racing - FastTraxx Hobbies
dbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #701

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Loose conditions and rough track. We don't really have anything approaching high bite around here so generally smart folks run a lower roll center and let the car roll a bit more. I see videos of folks trying to keep the nose of their cars and trucks down coming out of corners and I just can't imagine it. I'm not even sure I would want it. I kind of enjoy having to tune a bit to make a car handle well.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #702
Tech Rookie

All ready for practice tmrw night. Kit went together perfect and had no missing parts. Starting with the kit setup to see how it feels. I tried to post a pic but I guess i dont have enough posts or something.
sneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #703
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What Aluminum Hex's do you need front and rear to get ride of the plastic rear and fronts.
atvracer9m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:58 AM   #704
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Team Associated V2 pistons

I'm seeing reference to 2x1.5 Flat V2 pistons in some SC5m setups. Not finding them from AE anywhere. Are they just not out yet?

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...lieri_ROAR.pdf

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...i_Shootout.pdf
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:04 AM   #705
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
I'm seeing reference to 2x1.5 Flat V2 pistons in some SC5m setups. Not finding them from AE anywhere. Are they just not out yet?

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...lieri_ROAR.pdf

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...i_Shootout.pdf
They make blank pistons so you can create your own. Drill them out.

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/gmk-sup...-gmk0108/p7599

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote