R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Offical Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree24Likes

Old 08-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #676
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLilPony View Post
Im building the new Kashima Shocks and was wanting to know if there is a difference in the Xrings vs the regular rebuild kit. Not really sure any help would be appreciated. Also what else do I need to rebuild the internal parts. The O-rings? Does the X-rings replace the red O-rings?
I would get the xrings with the rebuild kit. Why? Well, I have bent 4 rear shock shafts from people railing me from behind. When you bend the shaft, often the plastic "hat" bushing get ovaled out. And are ruined. Your LHS may not have that part, so I would install the xrings and keep the rest of the rebuild kit in my box.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:10 AM   #677
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I'm not sure if they are available yet but AEs new truck springs have part #'s now. Its a little weird as they only go 1 step firmer and one step softer and that's it. You can ID them as the fronts are 54mm and the rears 72mm. Just look in the manual and add or subtract 1 from the part #s for the kit springs and that will give you the #'s for the optional springs.
Looks like the end of August before they are available, so hopefully any day now
mhughesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:19 AM   #678
Tech Rookie

Default Battery Tray/Motor

Could someone measure the battery tray for me. I am looking at getting this for my 8 year old son and am trying to decide what battery to get. Any recommendations for a good battery are greatly appreciated. Looking to get a HK cheap one since this will be his basher so don't need anything fancy/ROAR approved. Also what KV range of motor do the masses recommend?
runsilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:25 AM   #679

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I don't want to dissuade you from purchasing a great truck but this is a race truck, not a basher. Nothing is mechanically waterproof and there won't be a ton of ground clearance. If you are planning on racing AND bashing, by all means pick one of these up. If you are not ever planning on racing and want him to have a blast without worrying about a barking diff, bent shock shaft, or bent turnbuckles...get him something else. 4wd...big tires....mad power...built like a tank...waterproof...bulletproof....able to leap small buildings in a single bound
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:33 AM   #680
Tech Rookie

Thank you for the insight. So if I were to buy a basher for my son what would you recommend? I am not opposed to him ever racing, but we have no ability to race at our current location (Italy) and will be here for a few more years. I want something that he can drive around the backyard/dirt road next to our house. If my wife would let me I would just build a homemade track at the house but that won't ever happen so we will have to stick to short grass lawn and dirt farm roads.
runsilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:36 AM   #681

runsilent, you are about to have a PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:02 AM   #682
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Yup that's them. I was trying to find some on eBay for cheaper bc I got my yellows on there for like $15 shipped, but there isn't any cheaper.

Proud To Represent: Fantom Racing - Schelle Racing - FastTraxx Hobbies
dbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #683
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

AE had the optional springs in stock for like a day last week. I got the email notification and ordered them, so I scored gray fronts and green rears. I also did the 4 Alu hexes and front axles. Waiting on a new esc (black box), and it'll be ready to rock.
Considering Ti screw kit and milled motor plate to shave some weight, but everyone seems to pretty much love it already, so it might be overkill??
Old 08-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #684
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Anyone want to start posting pictures of their finished SC5M?

atvracer9m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:18 PM   #685
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysdaddy View Post
AE had the optional springs in stock for like a day last week. I got the email notification and ordered them, so I scored gray fronts and green rears. I also did the 4 Alu hexes and front axles. Waiting on a new esc (black box), and it'll be ready to rock.
Considering Ti screw kit and milled motor plate to shave some weight, but everyone seems to pretty much love it already, so it might be overkill??
May I ask where you got the alum hexes from? Thanks!
NovaCX12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #686
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCX12 View Post
May I ask where you got the alum hexes from? Thanks!
AE site had 8.5 rears, 6.0 fronts and the required axles, along with springs all in stock one day last week. Ordered it all at once
Old 08-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #687
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysdaddy View Post
AE site had 8.5 rears, 6.0 fronts and the required axles, along with springs all in stock one day last week. Ordered it all at once
saw them to...just didn't act...doh!
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #688
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Very disappointed in Team Associates part quality. First I had two defective turnbuckles in my kit and now I find that one of the threads on the clamping axles (71013) is bad. So far their quality controls are not looking good.
GonzoKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #689
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me how the sc5m handles compared to the losi 22sct or proline pro 2?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #690

I just sold my 22 SCT 2.0. The SC5M is a better truck. I had a hard time finding balance in traction from front to rear with the Losi. Other than that it was pretty good. However, within two adjustments from bone stock on my SC5M I was as fast as the Losi on a low/medium grip track that was dry, dusty, with wind blowing at 20+mph. It was a pleasure to drive.