R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Offical Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree18Likes

Old 11-26-2016, 05:29 AM   #2011
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
Longer than an hour....Take your time and make sure to get it together right the first time. Should take a few good hours of assembly.
Totally agree, especially if this is your first time building a kit. Follow the instruction manual step by step, lay out all the parts from each step, and take your time to understand how it all goes together. You will thank yourself later when you have a better understanding of how it all works. I've built a lot of kits and I will say AE has about the best instructions of any I've built and if you know what you are doing they seem to just fall together. No counting electronics or painting the body, I would say expect to spend about 4-6 hours getting the chassis built, another hour or two for electronics and soldering, plus the painting the body which is an hour if you are doing a single color.
mxnickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #2012
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduffy77 View Post
Is anyone running front sway bars, rear sway bars, or both?
Running on high bite clay with no sway bars. Camber set at -1 and no traction rolls. Kinda squirly down that straight tho.
beansor2bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #2013
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I got my kit and started putting it together. Everything is going smoothly. I ordered what I thought was everything to convert to a 3 gear transmission. (3 gear plate, 3 gear case) It appears the Top Shaft is not long enough. When you try to put the slipper nut on the shaft there is now way (even with a decent amount of force) to get the threads started. So for the time being a undid everything and put the 4 gear transmission in to advance on the build.

What is the part number for the top shaft that I need for the 3 speed gearbox?

Lastly, as I started the build all the directions had the correct letter corresponding to the bag. Once I proceeded past bag labeled D the letting was off. No big deal as the bags are still labeled and say whats in them. Just curious if anyone else ever noticed this as well.
tylem28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:57 PM   #2014
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylem28 View Post
I got my kit and started putting it together. Everything is going smoothly. I ordered what I thought was everything to convert to a 3 gear transmission. (3 gear plate, 3 gear case) It appears the Top Shaft is not long enough. When you try to put the slipper nut on the shaft there is now way (even with a decent amount of force) to get the threads started. So for the time being a undid everything and put the 4 gear transmission in to advance on the build.

What is the part number for the top shaft that I need for the 3 speed gearbox?

Lastly, as I started the build all the directions had the correct letter corresponding to the bag. Once I proceeded past bag labeled D the letting was off. No big deal as the bags are still labeled and say whats in them. Just curious if anyone else ever noticed this as well.

Did you squeeze the spring? If so then something must have been off on your assembly. The top shaft works for both the 3 and 4 gear transmission.
sluther343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #2015
Tech Regular

It does? I tried squeezing the spring with a pair of pliers. I was watching a video on youtube that was for a B5M, I couldn't find out for a SC5M. But in the video it says you need a different top shaft. I figured the SC5M would be the same as the B5M as for a the shaft.

So whats the trick other than compressing the spring? Does anything change as far as the slipper clutch pads, shims, spacers, etc? Does anyone have an exploded view of the 3 gear transmission or a write up / video?
Old 11-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #2016
Tech Regular

According to the thread listed below the bearings are different? Is this correct? Requires 5x10x4mm bearings, #91560. Could this be my problem? Also what about the shims? ASC1733? Where do they go?

https://www.rcten.com/threads/what-p...my-sc5m.16565/
Old 11-26-2016, 10:28 PM   #2017
Tech Adept

Quote:
It does? I tried squeezing the spring with a pair of pliers. I was watching a video on youtube that was for a B5M, I couldn't find out for a SC5M. But in the video it says you need a different top shaft. I figured the SC5M would be the same as the B5M as for a the shaft.

So whats the trick other than compressing the spring? Does anything change as far as the slipper clutch pads, shims, spacers, etc? Does anyone have an exploded view of the 3 gear transmission or a write up / video?
Yes it's the same top shaft in the sc5m for a 3 or 4 gear. Look up the b5m lite manual for instructions on the 3 gear. I think you may not have had the slipper pads or plates aligned properly and that was the hang up.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:34 PM   #2018
Tech Adept

Quote:
According to the thread listed below the bearings are different? Is this correct? Requires 5x10x4mm bearings, #91560. Could this be my problem? Also what about the shims? ASC1733? Where do they go?

https://www.rcten.com/threads/what-p...my-sc5m.16565/
The 5x10x4 bearings are what came in your kit. Diff shims are listed in the b5m factory lite but I'm not sure if they are needed. Put it together and check side play.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:37 PM   #2019
Tech Regular

Also could my problem be with using the 84T Spur Gear? Do I need to use the 78T with the 3 Gear?
Old 11-26-2016, 10:38 PM   #2020
Tech Regular

I will check out the B5M lite manual, Thanks for all your help!!!!
Old 11-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #2021
Tech Adept

Quote:
Also could my problem be with using the 84T Spur Gear? Do I need to use the 78T with the 3 Gear?
Spur isn't going to effect this.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #2022
Tech Adept

Quote:
I will check out the B5M lite manual, Thanks for all your help!!!!
I'm glad to help.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #2023
Tech Regular

In looking at the diagram for the B5M Lite, I think i found another difference / problem why it wasn't working. In the SC5M manual for the 4 gear it has 1 slipper pad (9603) not used in the B5m Lite and also the B5M lite doesnt use the VTS slipper housing (91176) and the B5M lite doesn't use a VTS Slipper Plate (91178).

Taking off those items will definitely free up some space. So to be clear just set up the slipper assembly exactly as its pictured on the B5m Lite breakdown and I'll be good to go? Thanks for all the help!
Old 11-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #2024
Tech Regular

First pic is the SC5m and Second is the B5M Lite for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Offical Team Associated SC5M Thread-1.png   Offical Team Associated SC5M Thread-2.png  
Old 11-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #2025
Tech Adept

Quote:
In looking at the diagram for the B5M Lite, I think i found another difference / problem why it wasn't working. In the SC5M manual for the 4 gear it has 1 slipper pad (9603) not used in the B5m Lite and also the B5M lite doesnt use the VTS slipper housing (91176) and the B5M lite doesn't use a VTS Slipper Plate (91178).

Taking off those items will definitely free up some space. So to be clear just set up the slipper assembly exactly as its pictured on the B5m Lite breakdown and I'll be good to go? Thanks for all the help!
The VTS will not cause you to have too little room for the nut. Somewhere the VTS might not be assembled correctly causing your space issue.