Search

BLS 551 in SC10.2 on Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default BLS 551 in SC10.2 on Lipo

Hey guys,

I bought a used BLS551 and wanted to use it in my SC10 running on Lipos. However, futaba says that this servo should only be used with NiCD receiver packs because of it's high current draw. I figure it should work fine on lipo, but I wanted to make sure.

Also, if I want to replace one of my s9551 servos, which would be the best to replace with the BLS551? The one in my SC10 like I mentioned above, or the one in my b4.2? I guess I'm asking which car will work best with the BLS551?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Your servo will get its power from the BEC in your speed control, which will provide plenty of power for your servo.

Something doesn't jive though, I believe the BLS551 came out long after the hobby had stopped using NiCd batteries, which provide far less current than lipo.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Davidka
Your servo will get its power from the BEC in your speed control, which will provide plenty of power for your servo.

Something doesn't jive though, I believe the BLS551 came out long after the hobby had stopped using NiCd batteries, which provide far less current than lipo.
That's what I thought also, David. Seemed odd that it would have that designation, but I thought I'd ask.

Do you have an opinion on whether it would work best in the SC10 or B4? I can't imagine it will make much difference, the specs are almost identical.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Tech Champion

If I remember correctly the warning was for the early small NiMH cells. Compared to the NiCd cells of the time many had a lot of capacity, but not much current capability, resulting in a lot of voltage drop.

For most all cases irrelevant for a standard electric setup as David mentioned. The BLS servos are pretty efficient, don't believe I've ever heard of an issue with one overloading a BEC. I have several of the standard size BLS451, getting pretty old and still work great, responsive, no slop I've ever noticed.

Since both options are low profile and similar specs like you mention, I think it's hard to choose too. If it was between standard and low profile I'd put the standard in the truck, because bigger tires.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the reply, Dave!