Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Trinity SS DQ'd from JC Stock Nationals? >

Trinity SS DQ'd from JC Stock Nationals?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity SS DQ'd from JC Stock Nationals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

People have got to learn that you need to check your stuff before any race that does serious tech. I have three Reedy rotors sitting on my bench right now. All three are the exact same ROAR approved part number. Two are perfectly legal, one would get me DQ'ed in the blink of an eye because it is .2mm too long. In fact, it might also be .1mm too big in diameter depending on what you use to measure it with. Yes it's ROAR approved and all that junk but it will not be in my car for any race that techs motors.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Kraig
This is the rule from their page that I posted earlier.

Please remember despite approval, all motors are subject to pre race inspection to ensure legality.
Call a spade a spade and this didn't happen.... Pre-race is not after the mains.

It's not a ROAR race so what it really boils down to is a bunch of terrible planning, biased tech and bullshyt.

Think of the impact this is going to have on motor sales for a certain company. It went from the hottest motor to a zero now for competitions.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig
This is the rule from their page that I posted earlier.

Here are the new rules as it relates to the length of the stator from their website.

I underlined the continued inspection piece for your reference.

March 25, 2015
ROAR has made a change to the spec motor rules. We would like to make our racers aware of this change. All motors that have been submitted up to this point for approval have satisfied this specification, despite it's absence in the rules.

This is a change to the minimum length of the stator, to align ROAR rules with other major sanctioning bodies. There was no current minimum.

Original language (8.5.4.2): "The overall stator length parallel to the motor shaft shall be a maximum 21.0 mm"

New language: "The overall stator length parallel to the motor shaft shall be minimum length 19.3mm, maximum 21.0mm"

Please remember despite approval, all motors are subject to pre race inspection to ensure legality.

Mason and Gene...

Where does tech start, and where does it end?

Must be a ROAR approved motor, that passes a ROAR tech inspection and rules - however the Reedy 3900 batteries all the team AE drivers were using wasn't ROAR approved...

To use the roar name, I assume they have to pay royalties, so instead they'll pick and choose from the rule book what they want to enforce.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
People have got to learn that you need to check your stuff before any race that does serious tech. I have three Reedy rotors sitting on my bench right now. All three are the exact same ROAR approved part number. Two are perfectly legal, one would get me DQ'ed in the blink of an eye because it is .2mm too long. In fact, it might also be .1mm too big in diameter depending on what you use to measure it with. Yes it's ROAR approved and all that junk but it will not be in my car for any race that techs motors.
I get what you are saying but a lot of people who run stock don't have the knowledge or tools to be checking their motors. It seems quite obvious the manufactures are unable to produce the same parts to exact specs each time. It would seem logical to have a tolerance on the specs +/- especially since most tools have a tolerance on them as well. I know I would be really mad if I bought a motor from my hobby shop and later got DQ'd by them because the motor was not legal. The rc racing industry is too small for all issues that come up, and if it continues it will shrink vs grow.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Honestly this wouldn't be as big of an issue had it been checked before racing instead of after the mains.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

This entire scenario is suspect. And a lot of folks damning the motor manufacturer way too quick with too little evidence.

I'd like to see pictures of the DQ'd stators with at least two
Different calipers used to measure them. Just to cut through the speculation and conjecture.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

If tech dq'd a motor for being out .01mm with a pair of calipers they're crazy. You can't check something accurately to that level with a pair of calipers. Especially in a non temp controlled environment.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
It is not the size that matters....lol. Reedy cleaned up with non special motors. They dont even make special 17.5 certified whatever motors, lol.
You're dreaming if you don't think the top guys with the reedy's weren't hand picked.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod
If tech dq'd a motor for being out .01mm with a pair of calipers they're crazy. You can't check something accurately to that level with a pair of calipers. Especially in a non temp controlled environment.
Agreed, when was the last
Time they were calibrated. And where's the cert. there should of been a +\- 1mm for the caliper.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ClayMoreJosh
I understand that, but its value is diminished when non-sanctioned bodies can "market" themselves as using "ROAR Rules", and then interpret and enforce them as they please. Kinda defeats the purpose don't you think? You play backyard football, but don't call it NFL rules? If you tried to start your own league, you would not be able to say you use NFL rules? If you held your own football event and wanted to say your were using NFL rules, I bet the NFL would want you to use their officials. (as if they would even consider it) And that again roles back to my initial statement that the RC community would have to pay significantly more for such governance.

To some degree it is a failure of the community itself. If you value the effect the sanctioning body has on the industry, then you have to support it and not the non-sanction activities. That means not going to these self-proclaimed "national" & "regional" etc.... events that say they are teching using ROAR rules.

One other idea, (I kinda like this one, simple, and should be effective)
Add verbiage to the rule book that says that the "motor tech rules" cannot be used to DQ at a non-sanctioned event. And that approved means approved except in obvious cases of tampering. Manufacturing defects cannot be used to DQ at a non-sanctioned event.(even for pros).
I am not disagreeing with what you are saying at a technical level. The reality is no one will put forth the effort at this point to go to all that trouble. Financially its unfeasible. There have been a few other sanctioning bodies over the years and motor specs were different for them. How many different specifications of stock motors do you want to buy going forward just to race this one off or that one off. That's self defeating in a hobby. I have been in a few pairs of shoes in the industry and have written up series rules. Like ROAR there's only so much volunteers can do or afford.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Socket
Mason and Gene...

Where does tech start, and where does it end?

Must be a ROAR approved motor, that passes a ROAR tech inspection and rules - however the Reedy 3900 batteries all the team AE drivers were using wasn't ROAR approved...

To use the roar name, I assume they have to pay royalties, so instead they'll pick and choose from the rule book what they want to enforce.
Socket, i was not at the race nor do i control how they enforce the rules. The events stipulations should have been available by the time sign up started or if for some reason changed after but before the event should have been made available. Personally i think motor tech should be at the start of the day and sealed. It really boils down to staffing and equipment. Perhaps they chose to manage what they could with the resources at hand. What I am seeing is people wanting/expecting Formula 1 scruteenering at a non-sanctioned event. Are you guys checking stator length and inductance each week at the Club Champs? Highly doubt it unless somebody won the lottery and had a few bills to spend on certified mics and lcr as well as the education to properly use it.

If anything this event just proves the point that its time to slow down stock motor speeds to the point that joe serious steps up to mod.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Antimullet
This entire scenario is suspect. And a lot of folks damning the motor manufacturer way too quick with too little evidence.

I'd like to see pictures of the DQ'd stators with at least two
Different calipers used to measure them. Just to cut through the speculation and conjecture.
The funny thing is Matt was selling trinity based motors. Not sure if he still is though.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BRSracing
I get what you are saying but a lot of people who run stock don't have the knowledge or tools to be checking their motors. It seems quite obvious the manufactures are unable to produce the same parts to exact specs each time. It would seem logical to have a tolerance on the specs +/- especially since most tools have a tolerance on them as well. I know I would be really mad if I bought a motor from my hobby shop and later got DQ'd by them because the motor was not legal. The rc racing industry is too small for all issues that come up, and if it continues it will shrink vs grow.
I don't see how a tolerance changes anything. It just moves the discussion to the new limit. Some would push the new limit with tolerance with the same predictable results.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

first for those who weren't around or aren't familiar with the D3.5 fiasco, let me set the trinity-haters and their revisionist history straight...

when ROAR tests a motor, they keep/archive the motor. trinity sent a D3.5 in for testing and it passed their test. some time later, ROAR purchased a new machine that they use to test the motors. with this new machine, the wire in the D3.5 was deemed to be too big. it WASN'T that a new batch of motors had new, bigger wire as has been intimated or even stated in this thread. ROAR confirmed that the wire in newly produced motors was the same wire that was in the original motors sent to ROAR. this is a simplified version of the story and obviously there's a bit more to it (like ROARS ambiguous rule stating the wire has to be 20AWG OR .831mm or whatever it was. how can it be either or?). of course trinity "forced a favorable settlement". they, along with their customers, got screwed!

the SS obviously passed ROAR's testing. so now during tech at "the nationals", they all of a sudden aren't passing? and not only do they not pass them, they do it after quals and before the main? this doesn't raise red flags? and we're not talking about the "team drivers" motors where one could surmise they're getting the best of the best and thus motors closer to or right at the passable limits. these are off the shelf motors that weren't passing. I'm willing to wait and hear more about this situation before completely passing judgment, but at the very least, this situation seems fishy.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
I don't see how a tolerance changes anything. It just moves the discussion to the new limit. Some would push the new limit with tolerance with the same predictable results.
Agreed. The maximum number is the tolerance. There is plenty of tolerance inside/under whatever that number is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.