Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Off-Road Beginners car

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Off-Road Beginners car

Hey all. I was looking at getting a HPI RS4 Pro2, but since they don't make it much and since I live on a dirt road, I think I'm gonna go with an off-road vehicle. I was wondering what some of you would recommend: I want something with good speed, part availability, and something that won't break real easily. I'd like to try a Nitro, but I'm used to electric, and I've heard Nitro is a big job to run. I'm gonna go bye my local Hobby shop tomorrow and see what they have, but, until then, what would you recommend?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if you want to have fun then go electric if you havnt run nitro befor it will make you get crazy eyes
Old 10-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'd say go with an associated T4 or Losi MF2. Either truck will be fun to run and durable. Nitro is a ton of fun, but can be a hassle when you're new to it and especially if you don't have anybody to teach you about it. Although I'd say 90% of people's problems with nitro is using a pull starter.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Rookie

What about this or this?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

I agree a Associated T4 or Losi XXXTMF2 would be an excellent choice it you go electric. I have a T4 and it is great. Haven't any trouble yet. But it you wanted a good nitro that is kind of userfriendly I would try a Traxxas Revo, I have one as well and it is awesome. Very easy to setup and tune, and can take a beating. And the parts can be found everywhere. Same as the T4 and XXXTMF2. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RadRacer
What about this or this?
Those 2 are great chocies as well, I had a original RC10 and it was awesome, and currently have RC!8T which is the just like the 18MT, and it is one tough truck
Old 10-12-2005, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

if you want nitro.....

i definitly recommend a Hyper7 RTR, some kits include a starter box aswell. Will set you back about $400 to gest started. Its cheap buggy, but as strong as nails.

i'd say u'll get pretty bored of an electric buggy soon, especially if you are not racing.

Cheers
Old 10-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If your going to be mostly just racing the B4 would be a great choice, but if your going to be doing more than track running I would definately go with a stadium truck. They have alot more ground clearance and suspension so they can hanlde bigger jumps and such. The RC10T4 or XXXT are both awsome choices, the chassis' are very high quality and are very easy to work on. Plus they are both very race worthy.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:55 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the info guys. Like i said befor, I'm gonna go by my hobby shop today and see what they have, but looks like i might get the RC18MT
Old 10-13-2005, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

or a cheaper option would be a tamiya desert gator! that thing looks awesome
im going to get one, for club days and start at the lowest class, when i win i move to the nex class will i make it to mod
Old 10-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Problem with my raptor.

alright lads, I have a raptor 27 monster truck and i've got a problem. when it's ideling it revs up and backs off. But it will stick somethings. It doesn't stick at high revs just low.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Went to the hobby shop today, and the only thing they have is the T-Maxx, which I would like to get, but since you guys said Nitro will be a pain, I don't think I will. The price was abit out of my range as well. Anyways, I talked to the owner and he said that if I found what I wanted, to give him a call and he will order it for me. He also said that he can order any parts that I might need, so I don't need to worry about that. I was hoping he would carry parts for the RC18MT, but he doesn't....not for ANY car. His shop is mostly for planes/trains, but, like I said befor, he said he would be happy to order any part I might need. 'm gonna look abit more and see what I find, but I think I'm set on the RC18MT

Last edited by RadRacer; 10-13-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Tech Rookie

What about the Traxxas Rustler or Stampede? Are they any better than the RC18T or RC18MT? I'd like to have something 4WD, but something like a stadium truck since it's smaller, and better for racing. I'm thinking the RC18T looks the best, but what do you guys think?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The RC18MT is very very small, I personally would never buy one becuase I just dont like the way those tiny trucks are built, and I dont imagine they would deliver the driving exprience a 1/10th scale truck does. The Traxxas trucks are not bad, they are definately a good price, but the quality is no where near something like the RC10T4. The transmissions in the traxxas truck are terrible and they dont come with bearings on the wheels, plus the motor and speed control they come with arent very good. I would recommend the RC10T4 RTR SE personally, but its up to you, get whatever you think you will be happiest with.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Go with the T4, not only is it a good beginner vehicle you can take it to a track one day and be on par with the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.