Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diff mesh problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bds81175
Whatever we can do to help keep you and your son out and enjoying time together, let us know. I've never heard of this brand before so I can't really comment on them. I can't even see a distributor for them.
They are based in France of what I can find out...

https://www.facebook.com/hobbytech.rc?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

They use a wholesaler in Australia : http://www.acehobbyaustralia.com.au/

I bought them through my local rc shop, He has one he uses himself along side his HPI Vorza... He was very happy with it's performance handling along side the more expensive HPI car... And as first time RC owners @ $500 Aus a car it fitted into our budget well.
Would of loved to buy 2 x hpi Vorza cars (and maybe I should have) but as first timers we are learning I guess. If this is the only major problem we have and it gets solved with some good customer service, for $500 a car I will be most happy.

Hobbytech also have a good list of upgrades... from shocks to towers etc including Diff crown/ pinion gears set... hmmmm...
Old 03-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by slim jim
I always try to seal the diff cases with a light coat of black rtv to keep a dab of grease in and dirt and grit out.
Slim, I have some Gel seal and also some RTV ultra blue... was going to try Gel seal on one car and the Ultra blue on the other.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:05 AM
Tech Initiate

At the local RC shop this arvo, got some Losi silicone fluid 10000cst for the front and some 15000cst for the center and rear.

Haven't done a lot of research into which cst silicone oils for which. Will start with this I suppose and see where we go.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:06 AM
Tech Initiate

At the local RC shop this arvo, got some Losi silicone fluid 10000cst for the front and some 15000cst for the center and rear.

Haven't done a lot of research into which cst silicone oils for which. Will start with this I suppose and see where we go.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Got some good news this arvo, Hobbytech warranty claim on the pinions is successful.

Looks like the customer service from my Local RC shop all the way to Hobbytech is customer friendly.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Tech Initiate

New pinons showed up today, as well as a list of other things I ordered. I have also bought the upgrade kits for the diffs, "CNC Machined Spiral cut hard treatment" pinions and crowns.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:49 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Look out!!!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bds81175
Look out!!!
Now the learning starts... I have to practice getting diff mesh setup right... And having 2 styles of diff gears to do, well learning curve here we come.

I am going to set 1 car up with the standard pinions, and the other one with the spiral cut diff gears.

I think first I will shim it up tight, then shim it loose. That way I know the 2 extremes, then from there I will have some idea by feel where "just right" is.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Well my son's car is back together and seems to be running well, I have put 2 batt packs through so far. I will do another 2 then pull them apart again to check my work.

I ended up having to use a 4mm instead of a 5mm wide bearing on the outer side input shaft , and 4 x .2mm shims behind the inner bearing to get the pinon depth right. I used 5 x .2mm shims on the crown wheel to get the diff mesh right.

I used 15000cst in the front and centre diffs and 10000 in the rear. I put a fair bit marine wheel bearing grease on the pinon / crown teeth area. Hope all is good in there now.