Search
Like Tree6Likes

Team Durango DEX8

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 04:21 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Looks like rain this Saturday so no getting to run my DEX8 one last time this year.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

that sucks. sorry man.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello erveryone.
Iīm new to that forum.
I bought a DEX8 a month ago and did some runs with it.
I have to say from the build up I was really unhappy with the adjustment of the centerdiff to the fixed motor. Itīs really bad to adjust and to setup the correct play and lineup of the gears.
I also read about the problem with the plastic centerdiffmount to flex.
I bought the M2C Racing diffmounts but didnīt install them right now.
As I am an technical engineer and work with CAD I thought there must be a better way to solve all that unlucky things. So I created my own diff and motormount with a fixed diff position and adjustable motor. Itīs a one piece part.
Unluckily I canīt post pictures right now.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Tech Legend

be curious to see it. M2C basically did the same thing and also did a chassis. Was a small run on them and they have it up on ebay right now.

As for the spur issue the new steel spur will take care of that in my opinion.

Shame as the car when tuned had potential.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not sure how people are having problems with mesh and spur gears. And are so concerned about the design of the center diff adjustment. Just set it tighten it and go. Do your normal screw checking and maintenance! I ran a dex8 and desc10 for 2 summers now and not had a single issue. On side note my 10 year old son pounded on the desc10 too.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by Iggy 102
Not sure how people are having problems with mesh and spur gears. And are so concerned about the design of the center diff adjustment. Just set it tighten it and go. Do your normal screw checking and maintenance! I ran a dex8 and desc10 for 2 summers now and not had a single issue. On side note my 10 year old son pounded on the desc10 too.

Agreed ran for two summers and still have the original plastic spur.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I had all four of the cars (the dex8, dex8t, dnx8 and desc10) and while I had minimum issues with the mesh, I have to agree that the system is the crappiest one in the rc market IMO. I understand why they did it thit way (keeping the motor static, preserves the weight bias rather than just moving a lighter center diff) but the traditional system just works. I had the most issues with the dex8t with stripping spurs and secondly the dex8. In AMS 7.0 race I stripped 2 spurs. I bent two shock towers as well. And the wear on the outdrives is just terrible. I ran the car for 18 months and replaced the center diff outdrives three times, the F/R outdrives twice and the shaft pins (using the mugen tool and pins) once. Don't get me wrong, the car is fast and performs well, but the quality of materials is just not to par with say like a TLR, Tekno, Mugen, Kyosho, etc... That's why out of the 9 Durango's I had at the beginning of this year I only have two left. Haven't got rid of them because I have every exotek upgrade on them plus lunsford and TD which means $$$ and now days durangos don't sell very good.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:26 AM
Tech Legend

Yeah same boat here. I became pretty OCD checking the screws for proper mesh. To be honest, if durango had done something that allowed you to do both the sliding mesh and lock it all down easily (like 2 screw easy), I think it wouldn't have been much of a deal. But for the love of all things, seriously needed that steel spur up front, especially when your spurs are $10 a pop. Or at least, don't make a spur that has to cost $10 a pop because of that insert thing I am thinking. Make it so I could just replace the actual spur itself.

But I still think steel spur should have been default as seeing other systems that had the motor on chassis setup, any kind of odd flex can alter the mesh.

I will say this though, I was pretty impressed with how well the Traxxas XO-1 pinions worked on the vehicles. They seemed to mesh quite well, maybe even better than the long shank Durango pinions. And dirt cheap too, like $4 a pinion.

All in all though, whatever happens if they continue to run with any products, they seriously need to invest in quality of the parts in question. Anything that has current high wear characteristics, take a queue from other companies like Tekno (heck, the Sworkz car I got to check out looked very nice quality wise and handled excellent) and beef up that part.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

I took a close look to the SOAR 998 TD1 EP and that car look and screams high quality. And I've seen Gene Hickerson performance and its just amazing. I am waiting on the next shipment to come in to dialed rc to order mine. That's what I will be running in 2017. I am still in a little debate if I will get back into nitro this year, but only time will tell. On a side note, my dex410v5 and desc210r have been holding on pretty strong to my surprise.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:18 AM
Tech Legend

yeah 4wd 1/10 buggy has grown a lot here. Its darn near like an HB D413 spec class lol with so many of them but the dex410v5 works quite well. I may hold off on a diff vehicle till I see what Tekno comes out with. I figure by that time AE's one shoudl have some bugs shaken out too.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:59 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

If anyone is looking for a really nice DEX8 I used for 3 races I will sell mine. Not because of issues to be honest but more like I won't be 1/8th scale racing as I will be fly fishing. I have lots of parts if interested and nicely painted body. I have the VRP pistons in it as well. Those expensive 75 dollar a set of 4 ones. I just won't be running it or I would not sell it if I was. Its not beat as I drove like a 1/10th buggy so it was babied. It will be a roller unless you want the Castle Monster Max setup I have it with the 2100kv motor. Fits and looks awesome. $200 as roller and $300 with everything but servo.

If interested shoot me a PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It just seems to me like lot of people on this forum would complain if there ice was to cold.!! Just saying!!
Old 12-17-2016, 01:42 AM
Tech Rookie

How many post will it take until I can post pictures?

Maybe I can send someone of you a pm with the links of the uploads if that works?

What I also donīt like technical wise , is the long front outdrive of the centerdiff. It will put more stress on the diff and bearings.
I already saw a solution useing the Arrma steel spur and the short rear outdrive combined with the rear 110mm UJ shaft from the DNX8. Did anyone try this?

Last edited by ProjectJDM; 12-17-2016 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:37 AM
Tech Legend

the armma steel spur is a modification that was done a few times to improve spur gear durability.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iggy 102
It just seems to me like lot of people on this forum would complain if there ice was to cold.!! Just saying!!
That's why this forum is here for, to bring up concerns and questions about a product. And yes... ice is too damn cold sometimes... LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.