R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 10-10-2017, 01:54 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Tekno RC SCT410.3 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: DirkW
Welcome to the SCT410.3 Wiki!

7.26.17 - BB
In order to run the recommended team setup, you need the following optional parts:
TKR6106 Orange LF Springs
TKR6114 Green LF Springs
TKR6018 composite shock caps (built to emulsion) OR TKR8702 Aluminum Emulsion Shock caps
TKR8027 Shock Stand Offs
TKR6051 8x1.3 pistons(drilled to 1.4mm)
TKR8104 .4 bellcranks
TKR8100 .4 ackerman
TKR5545B HRC Hubs
You also need the Aluminum C Block (others can stay composite)

What option parts should I consider buying with a new kit?
None are required but we recommend the following:

TKR5161 V2 Adjustable Hinge Pin Brace A block, 7075 CNC, EB/NB/ET/NT/SCT) - Helps to improve durability on hard crashes.

TKR5163 V2 Adjustable Hinge Pin Brace C block, 7075 CNC, EB/NB/ET/NT/SCT) - Helps to improve durability on hard crashes.

TKR5545B HRC Rear Hubs (L/R, CV or uni, SCT.3/SL) - Improves stability of the rear on mid to corner exit. Allows harder acceleration on corner exit.

TKR6146 - CNC Delrin Shock Cartridge Set

TiNi Shock Shafts
-TKR6004T (front)
-TKR6017T (rear)


What spare parts should I keep on hand?
TKR5020 Hinge Pins (inner, front/rear)
TKR5516 Front Suspension Arms and TKR5515 Rear Suspension Arms
TKR5542 Spindle Carriers - TKR5541B Spindles
TKR6009 Shock O-Ring and Bladder Set (for 2 shocks)

Tips and Tricks

List of Vehicle Setup Adjustments and Build Tips can be found here. There are several videos and articles detailing the building of shocks, diffs, camber links, etc.

Setup Sheets:
Setup sheets for all Tekno RC vehicles can be found here. Please be sure to try our recommended setup. It works very well on most tracks.

Warranty Policy:
Tekno RC is the only company in the industry that will give 50% off of parts if returned to them using the General Warranty return policy found on their website. The parts can be lightly used or completely abused, as long as the part is still being produced it's covered!

Piston Drills:
Some of our setups recommend using pistons that are enlarged. For instance 4x1.9 or 3x2.0. To drill the pistons we recommend the following:
GMK Supply Piston Drill Set
16PC Metric Bit Set Metric Sizes 2.00 to 3.00 MM.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree86Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2015, 08:44 PM   #2461
Tech Elite
 
justpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NH, USA
Posts: 2,049
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Upside down shocks, without new extended shock caps, is not going to work as the shock cap won't be able to pivot in the arm.

Ages ago, lots of SCTE folks used to modify them to put 8th scale shocks on when going outside on 8th scale style tracks, but would generally put their normal shocks back on for indoors. Part of this is that the SCTE was designed with those smaller shocks, so that is how it works properly indoors. The Tekno was designed with the large shocks in mind. There is theory that super smooth tracks without large jumps can benefit from small bore shocks, but this is mainly due to how they can pack different for high speed compression during landing vs the slower compression of bump handling, rather than where weight is on the vehicle.

As for the higher unsprung weight, that is generally only helpful on rough tracks to help smooth out the momentum of the individual arms.

Again, please feel free to try smaller shocks if you have them, but I wouldn't expect them to be any kind of drastically better, since what we have is what the vehicle was designed for. SCTE suspension geometry is quite different because it was designed with different shocks and damping characteristics in mind.
__________________
"We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." -Aristotle
My wallet supports: TeknoRC.com, NorCalHobbies.com, SMC, Sanwa, and several tire/servo companies.
justpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:35 PM   #2462
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpoet View Post
Upside down shocks, without new extended shock caps, is not going to work as the shock cap won't be able to pivot in the arm.
Agreed, this is the purpose CNC cap I was referring to that would need to be made specific. But I was thinking more about specific arms, as to keep them more recessed to keep the travel the same without raising the body or towers from what they are stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpoet View Post
Ages ago, lots of SCTE folks used to modify them to put 8th scale shocks on when going outside on 8th scale style tracks, but would generally put their normal shocks back on for indoors. Part of this is that the SCTE was designed with those smaller shocks, so that is how it works properly indoors. The Tekno was designed with the large shocks in mind. There is theory that super smooth tracks without large jumps can benefit from small bore shocks, but this is mainly due to how they can pack different for high speed compression during landing vs the slower compression of bump handling, rather than where weight is on the vehicle.

As for the higher unsprung weight, that is generally only helpful on rough tracks to help smooth out the momentum of the individual arms.

Again, please feel free to try smaller shocks if you have them, but I wouldn't expect them to be any kind of drastically better, since what we have is what the vehicle was designed for. SCTE suspension geometry is quite different because it was designed with different shocks and damping characteristics in mind.
For us here in the central east coast, Rough tracks are the majority of what we have. Running primarily on such low grip rough is exactly what brought me to the inverted deal to start with.
And good point about the tekno design methodology and the larger shocks.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:43 PM   #2463
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,231
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rifraf Send a message via Skype™ to rifraf
Default

Tekno has already lowered ride height with the .3..Not understanding why we would want to lower any more ride height? too low will create more problems, lower is not always better. the other guy's are using different shocks to get to what Tekno did with the .3..just saying
rifraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:11 PM   #2464
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Tekno has already lowered ride height with the .3..Not understanding why we would want to lower any more ride height? too low will create more problems, lower is not always better. the other guy's are using different shocks to get to what Tekno did with the .3..just saying
I never said anything about ride height?
I think you are confused with my saying lowering the CG thinking back on what was said.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:20 PM   #2465
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,231
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rifraf Send a message via Skype™ to rifraf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
I never said anything about ride height?
My Bad..lol smaller size body.. That wouldn't work for me I run on outdoor blown out 1/8 tracks...need the extra fluid volume...
rifraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:10 PM   #2466
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
My Bad..lol smaller size body.. That wouldn't work for me I run on outdoor blown out 1/8 tracks...need the extra fluid volume...
Yeah, the smaller body shock was pertaining to indoor and highly groomed medium/small clay tracks from what I gathered. That's the thing with most of the pros that get the most attention. 99% of them are West Coast oriented and it seems like they have all the best tracks out there.
Leaves us other guys out in the rain sometimes on certain purpose designs within most chassis releases.
I personally think this is why Tekno has had so much success as a premier club racer's SCT.
By design, the 410 seems to carter more to the rougher stuff and just stays planted better stock for stock in such circumstances.
When I first started running my SCTE 2.0 the difference was outstandingly noticeable in chassis design characteristics and seemed to ride on top of the track while the 410's where planting down hard into the groove with little done to get a lot from them.
After loosening things up with my Losi however, I can give anyone a run for their money in terms of handling and speed.
But that doesn't mean anything, because I haven't gotten the chance to play with the 410.3. But I now have one built that is setting here staring at me just begging for some near future tune and test sessions.
I have always been a Losi fan over all, but I am impressed with how this thing went together and from the ones I run against perform already.
I decided to go very close in parts to my Losi.

Soon as it gets here this week it will have>
HW XERUN 4700
HW XR8 ESC
Futaba 9352 servo
Paired to an Airtronics M12S
Protek and Vant 100C 6500 batteries

For ups I have>
Carbon servo brace - just because
Alloy A,B,C,D blocks
Alloy split diff mounts
Alloy shock cartridges
Alloy 12mm clamping hex's
Several VRP shock pistons
and Pink springs, front and rear for starters.

The only thing I have left to get at this point is the alloy shock caps, drag/ackerman bar, and carbon towers if I want them.
I can't wait to compare the two trucks in real time testing.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:31 AM   #2467
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,061
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys I was thinking off getting rid of my tekin motor and trying one of these in my tekno has anyone try one it's aCastle Creations 2400kv sct motor
coombes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:33 AM   #2468
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coombes View Post
Hey guys I was thinking off getting rid of my tekin motor and trying one of these in my tekno has anyone try one it's aCastle Creations 2400kv sct motor
If I where you, I'd give the Hobbywing 4700 a go. It's stupid fast, really reliable, runs cool and cheap! Mine has run flawless and has no fear of any other motor I have ran against.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:02 AM   #2469
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,061
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

What about the 4000kv one what they like
coombes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:28 AM   #2470
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coombes View Post
What about the 4000kv one what they like
If you run smaller tracks you will probably like the 4000KV better.
The 4000 is better if you have short stop and go technical tracks.
It will get you up to speed very very quickly and will have that extra grunt for out of a corner jump clearing situations.
But if you run on tracks with moderate to long straightaway stretches and/or larger sweeping turns, the 4700 is ballistic fast and won't be run down by anyone if your getting good tire traction.
The only real difference is bottom end grunt vs top end speed.
So the short answer is
Small/Medium technical tracks = 4000KV
Medium/Large sweeping tracks = 4700KV

The more complex and detailed decision maker ultimately depends on what your running on and your driving style/aggression, traction conditions, ect.
A lot of people seem to think they can just gear a motor taller or shorter as they want to get optimum power bands, but that doesn't always agree with temps and can cause cogging and/or over revving, thermal lock your ESC and even puff your batteries from resistance.
More often than not, you will see a large KV motor under geared in attempt to get more bottom end grunt for example. But what is really happening is over revving the motor and eating up way to much juice. Hence over heating the system, which is caused by to much current draw resistance.
It would have been much better to run a lower KV motor with a taller gear than the other way around.
Consider these things and be realistic in what your doing with your SCT before you make the choice to jump on large numbers for the sake of thinking it means faster.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #2471
Tech Master
 
Lowe's48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,006
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
Yeah, the smaller body shock was pertaining to indoor and highly groomed medium/small clay tracks from what I gathered. That's the thing with most of the pros that get the most attention. 99% of them are West Coast oriented and it seems like they have all the best tracks out there.
Leaves us other guys out in the rain sometimes on certain purpose designs within most chassis releases.
I personally think this is why Tekno has had so much success as a premier club racer's SCT.
By design, the 410 seems to carter more to the rougher stuff and just stays planted better stock for stock in such circumstances.
When I first started running my SCTE 2.0 the difference was outstandingly noticeable in chassis design characteristics and seemed to ride on top of the track while the 410's where planting down hard into the groove with little done to get a lot from them.
After loosening things up with my Losi however, I can give anyone a run for their money in terms of handling and speed.
But that doesn't mean anything, because I haven't gotten the chance to play with the 410.3. But I now have one built that is setting here staring at me just begging for some near future tune and test sessions.
I have always been a Losi fan over all, but I am impressed with how this thing went together and from the ones I run against perform already.
I decided to go very close in parts to my Losi.

Soon as it gets here this week it will have>
HW XERUN 4700
HW XR8 ESC
Futaba 9352 servo
Paired to an Airtronics M12S
Protek and Vant 100C 6500 batteries

For ups I have>
Carbon servo brace - just because
Alloy A,B,C,D blocks
Alloy split diff mounts
Alloy shock cartridges
Alloy 12mm clamping hex's
Several VRP shock pistons
and Pink springs, front and rear for starters.

The only thing I have left to get at this point is the alloy shock caps, drag/ackerman bar, and carbon towers if I want them.
I can't wait to compare the two trucks in real time testing.
Its about time
M12s ????
__________________
Tekno Sct410.3-VRP,HW120 SCT-PRO,Pro4-4300kv,Hitec,LRP 8000/2s
Tekno SL.3-VRP,HW120 SCT-PRO,T8i-1950,Hitec,LRP 5000 4s
Weapon of choice : Airtronics M12
Home track : Coyote Hobbies,Ca
Lowe's48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #2472
Tech Master
 
Lowe's48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,006
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
Yeah, the smaller body shock was pertaining to indoor and highly groomed medium/small clay tracks from what I gathered. That's the thing with most of the pros that get the most attention. 99% of them are West Coast oriented and it seems like they have all the best tracks out there.
Leaves us other guys out in the rain sometimes on certain purpose designs within most chassis releases.
I personally think this is why Tekno has had so much success as a premier club racer's SCT.
Yes we do have the best tracks out here on the westcoast I have 5 tracks within1/2- 1.5 hours of driving from my house.....but somtimes i feel my self wanting loamy/rough track to play on
__________________
Tekno Sct410.3-VRP,HW120 SCT-PRO,Pro4-4300kv,Hitec,LRP 8000/2s
Tekno SL.3-VRP,HW120 SCT-PRO,T8i-1950,Hitec,LRP 5000 4s
Weapon of choice : Airtronics M12
Home track : Coyote Hobbies,Ca
Lowe's48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #2473
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1
Default Tekno

Hey Guys!!! I'm new the the forum but full of questions. So I've just gotten into sct racing and picked up a tekno kit 410.3 along with the rx8 esc and tekin pro 4 4600kv. But I don't know how to do proper setup for certain tracks or gearing. And my battery which is 8000mah barely makes a 5 minute main and I don't understand why. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Kohnen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #2474
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 138
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

my 6500mah Vant 2s lipo will run for about 9-10 minutes. An 8000mah battery should last you around 12-13 minutes I would imagine. What are your cell voltages after a 5 minute main? What pinion are you running? How are your temps? esc, battery, motor? Any binding? Check to see if it is rolling freely. How much drag brake are you using?
__________________
Tekno EB48.3, EB48SL, and SCT410.3
Team Associated B5M Lite
HoldDaMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #2475
Tech Adept
 
Barillms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
That being said, Losi is having great success with smaller shocks on the scte.
They already have small 12mm shocks on them stock. I really hate to discuss Losi in this forum to be honest. Why anyone would even consider changing shocks or flipping shocks upside down is down right ridiculous.
__________________
RC Juice
Dialed RC Hobbies
HobbyStar
Savox Servos
HRP - Hobby & Recreation Products
Barillms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
sct410, sct410.3, short course, short course 4x4, tekno


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (0 members and 6 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:25 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net