R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-10-2017, 01:54 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Tekno RC SCT410.3 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DirkW
Welcome to the SCT410.3 Wiki!

7.26.17 - BB
In order to run the recommended team setup, you need the following optional parts:
TKR6106 Orange LF Springs
TKR6114 Green LF Springs
TKR6018 composite shock caps (built to emulsion) OR TKR8702 Aluminum Emulsion Shock caps
TKR8027 Shock Stand Offs
TKR6051 8x1.3 pistons(drilled to 1.4mm)
TKR8104 .4 bellcranks
TKR8100 .4 ackerman
TKR5545B HRC Hubs
You also need the Aluminum C Block (others can stay composite)

What option parts should I consider buying with a new kit?
None are required but we recommend the following:

TKR5161 V2 Adjustable Hinge Pin Brace A block, 7075 CNC, EB/NB/ET/NT/SCT) - Helps to improve durability on hard crashes.

TKR5163 V2 Adjustable Hinge Pin Brace C block, 7075 CNC, EB/NB/ET/NT/SCT) - Helps to improve durability on hard crashes.

TKR5545B HRC Rear Hubs (L/R, CV or uni, SCT.3/SL) - Improves stability of the rear on mid to corner exit. Allows harder acceleration on corner exit.

TKR6146 - CNC Delrin Shock Cartridge Set

TiNi Shock Shafts
-TKR6004T (front)
-TKR6017T (rear)

What spare parts should I keep on hand?
TKR5020 Hinge Pins (inner, front/rear)
TKR5516 Front Suspension Arms and TKR5515 Rear Suspension Arms
TKR5542 Spindle Carriers - TKR5541B Spindles
TKR6009 Shock O-Ring and Bladder Set (for 2 shocks)

Tips and Tricks

List of Vehicle Setup Adjustments and Build Tips can be found here. There are several videos and articles detailing the building of shocks, diffs, camber links, etc.

Setup Sheets:
Setup sheets for all Tekno RC vehicles can be found here. Please be sure to try our recommended setup. It works very well on most tracks.

Warranty Policy:
Tekno RC is the only company in the industry that will give 50% off of parts if returned to them using the General Warranty return policy found on their website. The parts can be lightly used or completely abused, as long as the part is still being produced it's covered!

Piston Drills:
Some of our setups recommend using pistons that are enlarged. For instance 4x1.9 or 3x2.0. To drill the pistons we recommend the following:
GMK Supply Piston Drill Set
16PC Metric Bit Set Metric Sizes 2.00 to 3.00 MM.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree83Likes

Old 10-25-2015, 05:01 AM   #2401
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coombes View Post
??? For you guys out there are you allow to race with 17mm wheel hex on your tekno like buggys wheel or you not allow too
I have never heard of any rules that prevent it. Usually the only restrictions to your chassis in this regard is wheelbase width and of course the fact the wheels them selves are in fact the SCT type and not the buggy variant. The durango trucks come standard with 17mm hubs and wheels.

Last edited by Josh L; 10-25-2015 at 05:16 AM.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:33 AM   #2402
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ok what rims can you Uesd and what type off Tyers can you Uesd can you post links for me atm i am uesding buggy rims and tyers
coombes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:17 AM   #2403
Tech Addict

Quote:
Ok what rims can you Uesd and what type off Tyers can you Uesd can you post links for me atm i am uesding buggy rims and tyers
There are to many companies to list to choose tires from. They just have to be (SC) short course specific with an outer 3 and inner 2.2 offset.

These linked below are proline's SC tires
2.2/3.0 Tires

17mm short course wheels are not hugely popular but are gaining more ground lately. Here are two that I know of right off that will work.

DE Racing BORREGO SC WHEEL (ASSOCIATED SC8 / 17MM HEX CONVERSIONS)

ARRMA Black Star Senton wheel
Old 10-25-2015, 06:39 AM   #2404
Tech Master

So I can't Uesd buggy tyers on them rims you link
coombes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:46 AM   #2405
Tech Addict

Quote:
So I can't Uesd buggy tyers on them rims you link
That is correct. You cannot use buggy tires on those rims. If your local track allows you to run buggy tires and rims, It won't matter. But if you ever compete in any ROAR sanctioned events, or just run into typical track rules, then you will not be allowed to use buggy tires and rims and will have to have the specific SC types I linked.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:59 AM   #2406
Tech Rookie

Good info folks! Thanks for the advice on my pending purchase!
Billthebutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #2407
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

For those that have a lot of unmounted buggy tires and want to use them on a SC (but still have it look like a SC wheel) see if you can find a set of the HPI Apache wheels. They use buggy tires but include a rubber disc that you glue onto the outside wall of the wheel to get the right look. http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/107384
Old 10-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #2408
Tech Rookie

Default Carpet setup

Hi, badly need a setup for carpet high bite track. Need a filled setup sheet.
From Russia with love to TEKNO)))
varikoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #2409
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billthebutcher View Post
Good info folks! Thanks for the advice on my pending purchase!
You should reconsider that motor ESC choice, especially if your penny pinching. I have a hobbywing 4700kv with the SCTPRO esc, and I spank those tekin setups all day for half the cost. They also have a 4000kv Combo if you want lots of grunt. Pretty much anyone that has owned both HW and Tekin will tell you your paying a lot more for nothing.
Another great motor to consider is the SMC 4500kv motor if you want something in between KV ranges.

You can pay $191.99 for either of these hobbywing motor/ESC combos below.
Thats 172.99 savings over the tekin stuff you mentioned, and that will leave you with the money you definitely need for a much better servo than you have listed. These trucks need a dead minimum of at least 200 oz-in.
The Hitec HS-7955TG is within reason and has well over the minimum tourque requrement with 333oz-in. that you can safely get away with a nearly locked servo saver, which is what most people do to get the most out of the drive train.

Hobbywing Xerun SCT Pro Sensored Brushless ESC and 4700kV 4-Pole Motor Combo

Hobbywing Xerun SCT Pro Sensored Brushless ESC and 4000kV 4-Pole Motor Combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by varikoz View Post
Hi, badly need a setup for carpet high bite track. Need a filled setup sheet.
From Russia with love to TEKNO)))
You don't need a setup sheet... In mother Russia, racetrack dive you!
Old 10-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #2410
Tech Rookie

Thanks again, I am doing my research on HW now.
Billthebutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #2411
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Doesn't the Hobbywing SCT pro esc only support 6v BEC? Obviously you can run a dedicated BEC for more power or run directly off 2s lipo, if that's what you're running, but that's the reason I went with the Mamba Max Pro with the Hobbywing Xerun 4000kv motor which I love, wanted a little more juice for the servo and I do like the castle link software, although, it's not awesome having to carry a field programming card for the track and the CastleLink for home. Anyway, I run full Tekin Gen2 stuff in my EB48.3 and full Tekin Gen2 in my SCT410.3, BUT... I built a U4 Yeti and put the MMP and the HW Xerun 4000KV motor in there and it's extremely impressive. I'm constantly recommending that HW motor, it's really good.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #2412
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldDaMayo View Post
Doesn't the Hobbywing SCT pro esc only support 6v BEC? Obviously you can run a dedicated BEC for more power or run directly off 2s lipo, if that's what you're running, but that's the reason I went with the Mamba Max Pro with the Hobbywing Xerun 4000kv motor which I love, wanted a little more juice for the servo and I do like the castle link software, although, it's not awesome having to carry a field programming card for the track and the CastleLink for home. Anyway, I run full Tekin Gen2 stuff in my EB48.3 and full Tekin Gen2 in my SCT410.3, BUT... I built a U4 Yeti and put the MMP and the HW Xerun 4000KV motor in there and it's extremely impressive. I'm constantly recommending that HW motor, it's really good.
Yes, your right. The SCT pro only has a 6v 3amp BEC that will struggle with any HV servos.
I personally run a Futaba 9352HV servo, and the BEC could not deliver enough juice to keep it consistent until as you mentioned, I bypassed the ESC's BEC with the castle adjustable 10amp external BEC turned up to 7.2v.

However, I had already considered these factors before I posted a recommendation servo for Billthebutcher's consideration and cost requirements.
The 7955TG is not a HV specific servo, and can run reliably on as low as 4.8v or as high as a direct wired to a 7.4v 2S pack.
The specs don't post info past 6v, but if anyone has doubts on this, a call to Hitec customer support will confirm it's ability to run direct and unregulated to a 2S pack.

Here are the listed specs

Hitec HS-7955TG
Motor Type: Coreless
Bearing Type: Dual Ball Bearing
Speed: 0.19 / 0.15 sec @ 60 deg.
Torque: 250 / 333 oz.in (4.8v/6v) 18 / 24 kg.cm
Size: 1.57" x 0.78" x 1.45" 40.00 x 20.00 x 37.00mm
Weight: 2.29oz 65.00g

Give or take a half volt or a slight amp indifference from the SCT Pro's BEC ratings, this servo should produce a minimum of no less that 300oz-in of torque and never mush out or glitch, thus not needing an external BEC and saving him even more money initially.

If money wasn't an object, I would suggest the new XERUN XR8 plus ESC from hobbywing, as they now have an HV BEC that carries a switchable 6-7.2v with 15 amps. That should have plenty of current to manage any HV servo you could throw at it! But he won't really need the external BEC with the servo I recommended to do it's job very well.

As a side recommendation - I highly recommend running a glitch buster style capacitor in your setups, as I do with literally every setup I own.
Not because it has to have it to combat any glitching issues (although if you run spektrum it's not a bad idea), but simply for the piece of mind of knowing you are taking a lot of resistance strain off your electronics under initial loads and smoothing out any current ripples that will vastly help in the consistency of feel in steering throughout the range of pack drain. They are cheap, weigh next to nothing and virtually never need replacing.

Last edited by Josh L; 10-26-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #2413
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
Yes, your right. The SCT pro only has a 6v 3amp BEC that will struggle with any HV servos.
I personally run a Futaba 9352HV servo, and the BEC could not deliver enough juice to keep it consistent until as you mentioned, I bypassed the ESC's BEC with the castle adjustable 10amp external BEC turned up to 7.2v.

However, I had already considered these factors before I posted a recommendation servo for Billthebutcher's consideration and cost requirements.
The Hitec HS-7955TG is not a HV specific servo, and can run reliably on as low as 4.8v or as high as a direct wired to a 7.4v 2S pack.
The specs don't post info past 6v, but if anyone has doubts on this, a call to Hitec customer support will confirm it's ability to run direct and unregulated to a 2S pack.

Here are the listed specs

Motor Type: Coreless
Bearing Type: Dual Ball Bearing
Speed: 0.19 / 0.15 sec @ 60 deg.
Torque: 250 / 333 oz.in (4.8v/6v) 18 / 24 kg.cm
Size: 1.57" x 0.78" x 1.45" 40.00 x 20.00 x 37.00mm
Weight: 2.29oz 65.00g

Give or take a half volt or a slight amp indifference from the SCT Pro's BEC ratings, this servo should produce a minimum of no less that 300oz-in of torque and never mush out or glitch, thus not needing an external BEC and saving him even more money initially.

If money wasn't an object, I would suggest the new XERUN XR8 plus ESC from hobbywing, as they now have an HV BEC that carries a switchable 6-7.2v with 15 amps. That should have plenty of current to manage any HV servo you could throw at it! But he won't really need that with the servo I recommended to do it's job very well.
I agree with the statement above 100%.
This is my servo recommendation for those that are on a budget and want a servo that will preform well with any ESC you throw at it.
The most Bang for your buck is:
-HW SCT ESC
-HW4700KV Motor
-Hitec 7955TG
-SMC7200mah battery
-and A radio of your choice is the most budget friendly and reliable system to date.

If you have a little more money to spend:
-Tekin RX8 GEN2
-Tekin Pro4 4300KV HD
-Highest DT2100, Hitec 7955TG, or Protek 170s Chad Bradley edition.
-SMC 7200Mah
-and A radio of your choice.
Tel: (858) 997-0833
ZERTA RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #2414
mkl
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
I have never heard of any rules that prevent it. Usually the only restrictions to your chassis in this regard is wheelbase width and of course the fact the wheels them selves are in fact the SCT type and not the buggy variant. The durango trucks come standard with 17mm hubs and wheels.

For those that have them How have the M2C Racing 17mm adapters been working? I asked over on the SCT410 thread and got one good reply. Thought there might be a bit more activity on this thread so maybe more people might have them.
I would really like to swap to 17mm hex. with the power available 12mm hex wheels tend to round out (yes, my wheel nuts are tight ).
I have several unmounted tires so I would use the DE Racing Borrego wheels.
There was also a conversion using Traxxas 17mm hex for the e-Revo and Tekno axles for the 48.3SL. That looks good as well.
Any thoughts by those that know?
Old 10-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #2415
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZERTA RACING View Post
I agree with the statement above 100%.
This is my servo recommendation for those that are on a budget and want a servo that will preform well with any ESC you throw at it.
The most Bang for your buck is:
-HW SCT ESC
-HW4700KV Motor
-Hitec 7955TG
-SMC7200mah battery
-and A radio of your choice is the most budget friendly and reliable system to date.

If you have a little more money to spend:
-Tekin RX8 GEN2
-Tekin Pro4 4300KV HD
-Highest DT2100, Hitec 7955TG, or Protek 170s Chad Bradley edition.
-SMC 7200Mah
-and A radio of your choice.
Why the 7955tg over the protek 130t? The protek is significantly faster and over 350oz torque? Also, the protek is a teeny bit cheaper? Protek 130t at 7.4v = .08 and 355oz for $89. The Protek 170s is kind of overkill @ .07 and 550oz @ $159.

Looking at bang for buck, the protek 100t is pretty amazing value at $49 and .14 and 215oz @ 6v.

I can't really attest to the toughness of the Protek servos, I do know that my 2 hitec 7955tg's I've ran for 60+ packs are tough as nails, major hits and tight servo savers and still tight and accurate. I guess that would be my biggest question on recommendation the Proteks, although I have good luck with Protek batteries and other items they brand.

Tags
sct410, sct410.3, short course, short course 4x4, tekno