R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #1696
Tech Addict

Bring back the SC8.2! I freaking love that truck.

SCT was NEVER intended to be what it is. Want to see what SCT is all about? Look at the Traxxas Slash, Hyper 10SC, SC104X or Turnigy Trooper (surprisingly good truck that once a few mods are done I will school you with lol)

It's been said before but 2wd SCT are iterations of the 2wd buggy and Stadium truck. The 4wd SCT should be based on the 4wd buggy. Parts can be shared due to common platforms... Ect ect ect.

Where these ebuggy based trucks came from... Honestly I can't remember. Who fouled first? Was it Tekno or TLR?
Alan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #1697
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank Traxxas for coming out with the Slash.
That's the birth of modern short course. Losi tried to create a "Heavy Metal" class with a truck body on the XX4 but it never took off. I liked it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_r View Post
Bring back the SC8.2! I freaking love that truck.

SCT was NEVER intended to be what it is. Want to see what SCT is all about? Look at the Traxxas Slash, Hyper 10SC, SC104X or Turnigy Trooper (surprisingly good truck that once a few mods are done I will school you with lol)

It's been said before but 2wd SCT are iterations of the 2wd buggy and Stadium truck. The 4wd SCT should be based on the 4wd buggy. Parts can be shared due to common platforms... Ect ect ect.

Where these ebuggy based trucks came from... Honestly I can't remember. Who fouled first? Was it Tekno or TLR?
fredswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #1698
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

does anyone know if the arrma motor mount is a drop in? I hate gear changes with the desc10, a real pain. with the metal spur the truck can handle 4s easily. I pit a 1700 t8 in it and a 18 pinion, and it moves.
If your not spitten clay,
you ain't racing either
platgof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #1699
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 232 (100%+)

from what I recall you can run the center diff itself but then need different cups, etc. If you want to run the armma setup see what M2C offers as I think they did a motor mount full chassis conversion that doesn't use the sliding mount system.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:49 AM   #1700
Bri
Tech Initiate

I am racing at an outdoor parking lot track with some jumps (5 minute races) and was wondering which motor you would recommend on 2s. The options are either a 3500kv or a 4300kv 550 4 pole motor. Some claim 3500kv has more low end torque and more power overall, in which case I could go larger on the pinion gear and possibly advance the timing some. Or do you you think a 4300kv would be the better choice? Using a smaller pinion gear and possibly decrease the timing some if I need more low end torque. The main concern since it is a heavy 4x4 SCT, is to get really good acceleration without being too hard on the electronics.

Best regards,
Brian
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #1701
Tech Legend

don't run timing.

The gearing range of the DESC10 from what I recall was sufficient enough that I didn't feel the need for a lower KV motor thank my standard 4000kv-ish motor.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #1702
Bri
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
don't run timing.

The gearing range of the DESC10 from what I recall was sufficient enough that I didn't feel the need for a lower KV motor thank my standard 4000kv-ish motor.
Thank you for the info. Why do you say not to run timing? I find it helpful to change the esc timing if I am in between gear ratios. For example, if I am running a little cool, I go up one setting on the esc timing to get a little more speed instead of going up a tooth on the pinion gear which may be too much.

Best regards,
Brian
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #1703
Tech Legend

Personally the only time I have used timing was when the vehicle had issues with keeping the motor cool (SC10 4x4) relative to the gearing (similar to what you describe) and then I would run very little timing (5 degrees at most) with a gearing change to gain back top end as I would go with a smaller pinion when doing this.

However, the reason I say don't run timing is that most people end up fighting with timing and the heat issues that can come along with making adjustments. Its better to get the vehicle running properly without timing if you can first.