Wiki Posts
Search

Motor timing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Motor timing question

I've got a B5M running a speed passion 8.5T and an x-car 60a esc. The motor has adjustable timing and is set in the middle(5* I think) and the esc has timing adjustment also.

I don't know what timing to set the esc at, default is 18* which seems like a lot.

Any recommendations would be be helpful.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tbone17
I've got a B5M running a speed passion 8.5T and an x-car 60a esc. The motor has adjustable timing and is set in the middle(5* I think) and the esc has timing adjustment also.

I don't know what timing to set the esc at, default is 18* which seems like a lot.

Any recommendations would be be helpful.
In most cases, you want to put most of your timing in the ESC rather than the motor. Increasing motor timing creates more heat than putting it in the ESC. 18* in the ESC is not a lot of timing.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andy Koback
In most cases, you want to put most of your timing in the ESC rather than the motor. Increasing motor timing creates more heat than putting it in the ESC. 18* in the ESC is not a lot of timing.
incorrect. Static timing set either in the ESC or the motor affect the motor the same. Dynamic timing is something entirely different.

OP. Set your ESC to blinky mode (0 timing). And put 10 or 15 degrees of timing on the can and see what you get. You need to monitor temps, feel, and most impotantly, lap times. The more timing you run, you will probably want to gear lower.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

The motor has 0-10* timing. I'll set the esc to 0 as a start and see how it runs
Old 03-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tbone17
The motor has 0-10* timing. I'll set the esc to 0 as a start and see how it runs
Also make sure you make small changes, like moving the degrees one at a time. If you can write down any changes you make so you know what is going to work for you and your driving style.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
incorrect. Static timing set either in the ESC or the motor affect the motor the same. Dynamic timing is something entirely different.

OP. Set your ESC to blinky mode (0 timing). And put 10 or 15 degrees of timing on the can and see what you get. You need to monitor temps, feel, and most impotantly, lap times. The more timing you run, you will probably want to gear lower.
This is what works for us oval boys on the rug.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

The motor I have only has timing adjustment from 0-10*.
So if I understand correctly my timing will be the total of the motor timing and the esc timing.
Any idea how much timing I'm likely to need? If it's more than 10* maybe I should set the esc to 5* or so and then adjust the motor from there?
Old 03-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

With a 8.5 turn in a 2wd buggy timing advance is not much of a matter of need, mostly just a tuning aid. It adjusts the powerband a bit, something one should experiment with to see what works for the track, traction, driving style, etc. Just don't try too much timing or too much of an increase at a time and keep tabs on temperatures, a 8.5 typically doesn't need or like a lot of timing.