Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Driver's Stand Design - Do you have one? >

Driver's Stand Design - Do you have one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driver's Stand Design - Do you have one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Default Driver's Stand Design - Do you have one?

I'm working with a local parks department that wants to build an outdoor R/C track similar to ones like at River City Raceway in Peoria, IL and Dirt Burners in St. Louis (see photos below). The parks department will own the track and racers will help take care of it along with their maintenance staff.

The Park Superintendent says that he would like to build something "nice" and " long lasting" that is "plenty big enough" and says he has budget for it. He liked these photos when I showed them to him. I took these several years ago.

Have any of you seen plans for a Driver's stand? Is there a forum out there where such a thing is discussed? I can drive to either track and measure them up, but each is 3 hours or more away.

Seems crazy to reinvent the wheel. Yes, I'm trying to get in touch with someone at each track to see what they might have left over from the construction of theirs.

Thanks!

Scott

Attached Thumbnails Driver's Stand Design - Do you have one?-rivercityraceway1.jpg   Driver's Stand Design - Do you have one?-rivercityraceway2.jpg   Driver's Stand Design - Do you have one?-dirtburners1.jpg   Driver's Stand Design - Do you have one?-dirtburners2.jpg  
Old 02-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Those are nice drivers stands, some of it will fall under your local building code. If it will be owned by a public park, check to see if you must be wheelchair friendly, if so you will need to add $ for the ramp. Talk to somebody local to see how strict regulations are, hate to see you build something and the local inspector says nope.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Seattle RC Racers community did exactly the same thing with the city that you are doing. For some great ideas of an attractive (and quite permanent) driver's stand, check out their thread right about here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/northwes...center-38.html

One great thing about this design, it is totally handicap accessible.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Those are some nice drivers stand but I would definitely try to have a handicap accessible ramp though.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not sure if you will be adding on-road or not but if you do you may want to consider your design to use the same stand for both on-road/off-road. One on each side of the drivers stand. I saw this at a couple of tracks, one the stand was only about 4 feet high off the surface with a single ramp handi-cap access out one side. The other was taller 6-8 ft and the ramp had a double loop back out one side. I wish I had pic to show you.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I thought it was a great idea that my local track used an old shipping container as a base and built the "stand" on top of it. It looks great and the container keeps all the track tools ETC.

It's certainly tall enough to see the entire track:

Old 02-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MasiisaM
I thought it was a great idea that my local track used an old shipping container as a base and built the "stand" on top of it. It looks great and the container keeps all the track tools ETC.
Nice stand and nice track! Where is this at?
Old 02-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mudcat981
Nice stand and nice track! Where is this at?
Yea they did an amazing job on it. The track is also at a park called Elings park in Santa Barbra CA. Next to it is a BMX track that is just as nice.

They have 2 tracks that use the stand. One side is the big track and the other is more intended for 1/10 scale.

Here is a video of the track using a drone.

Pretty cool stuff...
Old 02-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just a thought, but why not contact a local architect. They don't add much in terms of cost and you'll probably end up with something that looks nicer and had better functionality. In addition, they should know all the local building codes.

Another thought, contact a local school with an architecture department. I'm sure there are students that would love to be able to do some design work for a real project prior to graduating.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yea they did an amazing job on it. The track is also at a park called Elings park in Santa Barbra CA. Next to it is a BMX track that is just as nice.

They have 2 tracks that use the stand. One side is the big track and the other is more intended for 1/10 scale.

Pretty cool stuff...
Cool, my kind of track. Indoor is nice but this is my idea of off-road!
Old 02-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Tech Adept

Pretty cool stuff...
That is awesome!!
Old 02-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Ive raced at some pretty awesome places in my time. The Pit in AZ, The Farm II in NC, and just about every track in AZ, NC, PA, MD, VA and a couple really big races like PNB and Motorama. The last 2 don't count but outside is where I enjoy most of my time. A couple things I have seen around both good and bad...

Don't Enclose the stand. It "disconnects" the driver from the car. I like being able to hear my car whether its electric or nitro. Although in the heat of the summer, the A/C was nice.... even had one indoors and it still felt kind of uncomfortable.

Lights... Inside and atop the stand. Great for seeing at night, but the bugs, again, mainly in the summer can be a real pain in the neck (pun intended). Very annoying to say the least. If you have them, keep them to the sides of the stand and on the sides of the track and try not to point them at the stand itself. I bought stock in "Off" bug spray

Have 2 ways to get on the stand. Nothing suck than having to wait to get up and down when 15 people are trying to come and go, not to mention the next racers coming up. Up on one side, down the other... ONE WAY! Do Not Enter!

Wheelchair ramps are nice and considerate for those that are not able bodied. And us older folks with bad knees

PLACMENT. Please for the love of all that is holly.... Do not face the stand to the WEST. The sun sets in that direction and sucks when having to stare at it. North or south is about the best directions. Facing East isn't too bad, but shadows in the afternoon can be difficult as well.

A place between the drivers foot and the front wall. Nitro is loud and you may sometimes need to tap the foot of your driver to get his attention.

Some sort of display so the pit guys can see the leaders, race time, and the such as well as speakers so the drivers and pit guys can hear over the nitro engines.

Good luck
Old 02-11-2015, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

This is fantastic information guys. Thank you very much for your responses!

That stand built upon a shipping container in Santa Barbara is a great idea! And, they aren't that hard to get ahold of. Our local fire fighters use shipping containers for practice I've noticed.

I work with an architecture firm, so I think I can get the drawing time donated without any problem. But the design for something like this is typically "form follows function" and I've got limited experience. So, seeing what others have done is the best way to go I think. Drivers stands designed by racers is best.

I'm also very much aware of making sure that the stand is ADA compliant. We will meet with the local building inspector to make sure we satisfy that requirement for sure. Jerm13, I especially like your information. Well thought out and great ideas. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would see about live timing and scoring as well, this is really cool that they are letting you do this!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

one of our local outdoor tracks has the stand (similar to the first pictured) mounted to a trailer so they can move it between tracks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.