Wiki Posts
Search

Battery Advice and questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Battery Advice and questions

Recently, I just sold my race batteries in hope of trying out some new ones.I have some good practice packs so right now I am looking for Race ones only.I will be racing a T4 in Stock,and possibly some mod or 19t.These would all be club 5 minute races.I want to spend somewhere around $100-120.

My question is would it be better to get 3 Promatch 1.175's 3300's or 2 Promatch 1.19's 3800's ?
Would there be a noticable difference in the quality of these in offroad?

For 38's I was looking at the 1.190-1.194 for $54 each
http://www.promatchracing.com/IB3800.htm

So I could get two + battery bars for roughly $110

For 33's-The 3pack of 1.175-1.179
http://www.promatchracing.com/gp3300.htm

I could get these 3 + battery bars for $110

I am leaning towards the 38's because I would only use two for racing(3qual +1main=4 batteries/2runs on each) and practice only with my other packs.Any opinions or guidance would be great.

Thanks
Steve

Last edited by Stevietd14; 10-04-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

I love our GP 3300's. We bought 10 or so and torture them every weekend. They have been bruised and batteret but still work like a champ. We should probably look into re-zapping and re-matching them, but that's after the season is over.

I can not tell you anything about the 38's as I have never raced them, but what I can tell you is that I beilieve that they have slightly higher internal resistance.

I am not sure about how much punch they will have, but at 1.90-1.94 I think they will definatly outpunch most everyday GP3700's no problem. The price on those 38's is outstanding! I don't think I have seen a better deal for such voltage before.

I would say go with what gives better punch. In this case it looks like the 38's are the best way to go, but we have had tremendous success with our GP cells. We were running some older batteries. The best of which being a 3000 pack. After the season closed and I built my new Bandit we decided to go with some new batteries. We bought 10 matched packs and wired them up right. The voltages were average to above average, and the runtime was great. The first official day of racing my new Bandit won 7 out of 8 Pro-Stock Stampede races. I used a new speed control, a new radio, new internal components and new aluminum, but I took the motor out of the car I was racing. The car with the new GP33's flew!

Normally, I would say go for the GP's, but in this case looks like the 38's are the way to go. That voltage is absolutly insane and that price is just unbeilievable.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Platinum-Thanks for all the helpful info and advice.Right now I am leaning strongly towards the 38's.Since I sold my other batteries in hopes of upgrading.It makes more sense to make a big upgrade instead of a smaller one.Thanks
Steve
Old 10-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

So far from what I have heard, the IB3800 are the cells to get.

I remember Danny, from SMC mentioned he doesn't carry GP3700 cells because he feels that IB3800 cells are better. I'm pretty sure that the advantage of IB3800's over GP3300's would be greater then IB3800 over GP3700's.

Sean
Old 10-09-2005, 06:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

I just purchased two packs of 1.195+ from promatch for roughly $60 each.Not too bad.