R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: New Schumacher KF2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MelKF2
Welcome to the KF2 Wiki!

Please feel free to add any Tips, Tricks, or anything that would be beneficial to the KF2 Family

Introduction and Pictures Introduction and Pictures

ElectronicsSetupElectronicsSetups

Setup SheetsSetup Sheets

EmulsionShocksEmulsion Shocks

Tony Newland Gear Diff BuildTony Newland Gear Diff Build

Suggested Gearing

17.5 I ran 69/31 at SRS Scottsdale Arizona and 72/30 at MHOR Aurora Co and Full Throttle ALB, NM RCM lockout worked excellent!

MIP pucks excellent upgrade! The new RCM lockout is an excellent piece as well! These options will greatly reduce weight throughout the drive line!

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 01-16-2017, 03:53 AM   #1171
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hi,

Curious if those of you who built the gear diff did not use any spacers in the housing? I followed the directions and started w/ one spacer on each end but when it came to screwing them shut, the diff would not turn. I ended up removing the spacers and the diff now turns but I concerned it may be turning too easy? It's smooth, that's for sure. Just not sure why Schumacher would include spacers if they're not needed.

Thank you
LoudOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:47 AM   #1172
Tech Adept

The shims are there to accommodate tolerances in the gears. The manual says they "recommend" starting with one shim but in your case it sounds like you don't need any. The only thing I am not 100% certain of is whether the pin riding on the plastic case (no shim behind it) is OK. My guess is that it will be fine but may want to ask them to clarify.

After a few packs you probably will be able to put the shims back in any way, as things should free up a bit.
motorcitymatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #1173
Tech Addict

One thing to try too is, does the outdrive rotate quit freely, when you dont have put the planetary gears in the diff, if so, than the drag is somewhere in between, or better, it comes from the sun-, or planetary gears!?
On my K2 my diff turned just a bit strong, with one shim instaled and after a fiew laps, it runs buttery smoth, so as mentiond, parts needed to run in.

Edit: i remember, when i have built my k2, there where mor of those litte washers which go behind the planetary gear and they sticked together and looked like on shim, have a look at that too, as if you run two or more shims behind the planetary gear, it will be pushing more to the center and the sun gears, after fully assambling!

Cat K2 / DEX410V3 / DEX410V5 / DEX210 / DEX210F / Cougar SVR /
YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R

Last edited by micholix; 01-16-2017 at 08:46 AM.
micholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #1174
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone seen a setup for a blue groove track? (Controlled Chaos in Palmdale CA) or is that what 'grooved' is on the petit RC site?
oldernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #1175
Tech Regular

So, my local track is converting from outdoor dirt to AstroTurf. I currently have my KF2 cofigured in mm config from running on high traction clay. Whould it be better to start in low grip or leave it in mid motor?
Schumacher KF2 / VTX 10R & MMR 17.5
Schumacher K2 / MMax Pro & MMR Team Edition 13.5 /// Airtronics MT-4
Riverbluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #1176
JsK
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbluff View Post
So, my local track is converting from outdoor dirt to AstroTurf. I currently have my KF2 cofigured in mm config from running on high traction clay. Whould it be better to start in low grip or leave it in mid motor?
Leave it MM. The adjustable axle height hubs will be a good addition. Are they gonna lay turf
over dirt(bumpy) or over a smooth surface?
JsK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #1177
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsK View Post
Leave it MM. The adjustable axle height hubs will be a good addition. Are they gonna lay turf
over dirt(bumpy) or over a smooth surface?
Not 100% sure, but I believe they are going to level off the dirt and put turf over it.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:44 PM   #1178
JsK
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbluff View Post
Not 100% sure, but I believe they are going to level off the dirt and put turf over it.
We smoothed out out dirt and layed plastic down then put the astro on top. We have to use
door shims sometimes to get some of the jumps level.

We did the finish grade with a 12ft 2x10 under the box blade, had to have people stand on the ends though.. Rented a small vibrator roller and packed it for about 4hours.

Alot of people think there is concrete underneath so its possible to get a pretty smooth track
with dirt underneath.
JsK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:20 PM   #1179
Tech Adept

is astro considered higher traction than a groomed or treated dirt track? outdoors?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #1180
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkz View Post
is astro considered higher traction than a groomed or treated dirt track? outdoors?
Yes, it should be higher traction then a dirt track

So, gearing for 17.5. Just looking for some input, I think 69/31 would probably be a good starting point. Thoughts?
Old 02-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #1181
Tech Regular

Drove my KF2 at Controlled Chaos last night...I can see why you guys have struggled with loose dirt. Forward drive was OK, but exiting a corner was really bad! I was running MM, no extra weight. Dude with a B6D was pretty much pulling wheelies whilst i was left pointed into the apex of the corner..
Old 02-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #1182
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudOne View Post
Hi,

Curious if those of you who built the gear diff did not use any spacers in the housing? I followed the directions and started w/ one spacer on each end but when it came to screwing them shut, the diff would not turn. I ended up removing the spacers and the diff now turns but I concerned it may be turning too easy? It's smooth, that's for sure. Just not sure why Schumacher would include spacers if they're not needed.

Thank you
Run 1 shim per side to start with... after a while you may or may not need to add the other ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcitymatt View Post
The shims are there to accommodate tolerances in the gears. The manual says they "recommend" starting with one shim but in your case it sounds like you don't need any. The only thing I am not 100% certain of is whether the pin riding on the plastic case (no shim behind it) is OK. My guess is that it will be fine but may want to ask them to clarify.

After a few packs you probably will be able to put the shims back in any way, as things should free up a bit.
dont run the pin against the case, it will destroy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldernoob View Post
Drove my KF2 at Controlled Chaos last night...I can see why you guys have struggled with loose dirt. Forward drive was OK, but exiting a corner was really bad! I was running MM, no extra weight. Dude with a B6D was pretty much pulling wheelies whilst i was left pointed into the apex of the corner..
Ya not the conditions for the KF... KD terrritory just like your friend with the standup B6D
Old 02-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #1183
Tech Rookie

Does anyone know if the KD gear box fits into the KF2 chassis? Adding extra weight to the rear seems to be what most people do but it is already a heavy car so I really don's want to do that.
Schumacher KF2 / Kyosho Lazer ZXR / Associated RC10B2 / KO
Koomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #1184
Tech Regular

Quote:
Ya not the conditions for the KF... KD terrritory just like your friend with the standup B6D
I was only swinging by, i won't be a regular as i don't live in CA. But i really did take a paper clip to a knife fight! Apologies to Schumacher for a poor showing!
Old 02-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #1185
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Ahhh gotcha... ya if you lived there the KD would be money!!