R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: New Schumacher KF2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MelKF2
Welcome to the KF2 Wiki!

Please feel free to add any Tips, Tricks, or anything that would be beneficial to the KF2 Family

Introduction and Pictures Introduction and Pictures

ElectronicsSetupElectronicsSetups

Setup SheetsSetup Sheets

EmulsionShocksEmulsion Shocks

Tony Newland Gear Diff BuildTony Newland Gear Diff Build

Suggested Gearing

17.5 I ran 69/31 at SRS Scottsdale Arizona and 72/30 at MHOR Aurora Co and Full Throttle ALB, NM RCM lockout worked excellent!

MIP pucks excellent upgrade! The new RCM lockout is an excellent piece as well! These options will greatly reduce weight throughout the drive line!

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 05-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #826
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've seen the arguments against carpet, but having seen the track surface at OCRC etc. Is that really off road either? It doesn't look like 'dirt' to me!

With AE bringing a carpet biased car, maybe more carpet/astro tracks will pop up?

I don't know why more tracks don't lay carpet/astro, it's cleaner, consistant and less maintenance.

There is a local Astro track and the guys are good there, but the track is super narrow with some large jumps. Small errors=big breaks.
oldernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #827
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

This car is a monster on carpet. We have a big carpet track and the Schumachers own the x-rays, kyoshos, and AE cars.

Carpet and astro is the future of the hobby. It's pretty hard to talk a building owner into letting you dump truckloads of dirt inside their building and then water it down. Just the mold issue is enough to send the building owners screaming out the door.
the big rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #828
JsK
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the big rc View Post
This car is a monster on carpet. We have a big carpet track and the Schumachers own the x-rays, kyoshos, and AE cars.

Carpet and astro is the future of the hobby. It's pretty hard to talk a building owner into letting you dump truckloads of dirt inside their building and then water it down. Just the mold issue is enough to send the building owners screaming out the door.
The track in Grants Pass will be a over 6000sqft of astro. Should be done by the end of the month. You guys will have to make a trip down .
JsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #829
Tech Regular

Wow, where is this?
Old 05-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #830
JsK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Oregon
JsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #831
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsK View Post
The track in Grants Pass will be a over 6000sqft of astro. Should be done by the end of the month. You guys will have to make a trip down .
Holy crap thats huge!
the big rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:53 AM   #832
Tech Initiate

Hi All. Just had a question regarding balance. Im a complete noob at offroad but have about 20 years of onroad experience. My first time driving, bar one battery pack, was a big event. I started off poorly but got better and better. Jumps took some time to start to master!

Anyhow I really enjoyed it and am keen to improve the KF2. It was a clay low grip circuit which is besides the point, but I was hoping to get some light shed on the weight of the car and the 61/39 balance I see written. Is there some explanation of why this is the 'magic' number. My car weighed stock (with a bit of extra alloy) at 1650g and a 58/42 balance. It might go some way to explaining why the car was super loose until the track grooved up. I found myself setting up to control looseness and then could step back once track got better.

Ive bought the carbon chassis and all titanium turnbuckles. Was running the low grip motor right the way back setup

Cheers
Ozasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:08 AM   #833
Tech Apprentice

I don't believe in magic numbers in RC or real racing. 61% happens to be the most rear weight I could get without doing anything stupid or spending a bunch of money.

Oversimplified: If your car runs better with the rear hubs all the way forward, you need more rear weight.

PS if you're not running a ball diff, you need to be.
Saturn V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #834
Tech Regular

Ideally, you want the rear weight bias to be somewhere in the 61-63% range. Any less than that and you'll struggle to get rear traction on anything less than high traction tracks as you have experienced. More than the 61-63 and you're sacrificing turning for rear traction.

If you're racing on low grip I'd suggest the SV2. The KF2 MM may be a better option than the low grip conversion.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #835
Tech Initiate

Thanks for replies. Does MM conversion have more rear weight bias? I am about to get new batteries that weigh about 150g from memory down from 200 i use now. Presume low grip would be better in that instance as motor is heavier. Should prob look at light er ESC or move it back behind battery
Old 05-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #836
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozasis View Post
Thanks for replies. Does MM conversion have more rear weight bias? I am about to get new batteries that weigh about 150g from memory down from 200 i use now. Presume low grip would be better in that instance as motor is heavier. Should prob look at light er ESC or move it back behind battery
The MM option has slightly more rearward bias, but you'll still need to add weight in the rear. The main benefit of moving the motor further rearward is that the turning tendencies of the motor have more of an effect on the chassis generating more rear grip. In the low grip option the motor is so close to the CG (I think it is in front of the CG) that it virtually has no effect on generating additional traction.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Old 05-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #837
Tech Initiate

Ah sorry I think I have that already. Motoro all the way back and battery in front of it.

Im working on reducing weight now to be able to add it. Have bought carbon chassis. Was still hoping to run side bars but ill see what weight becomes
Old 05-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #838
Tech Regular

Default Stiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozasis View Post
Ah sorry I think I have that already. Motoro all the way back and battery in front of it.

Im working on reducing weight now to be able to add it. Have bought carbon chassis. Was still hoping to run side bars but ill see what weight becomes
Chassis braces a must with carbon chassis. Try titanium screws top of buggy, ball studs, MIP Pucks, ball diff run two plates on slipper if running mod! All this will drop weight and the 5.5 rear hex will help with side bite.
MelKF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #839
Tech Regular

Just about to go MM conversion (for options more than anything). Is it really just hot spoons to modify the shell?
Old 05-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #840
Tech Regular

Either that, a heat gun, or buy the Updated body.