R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: New Schumacher KF2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MelKF2
Welcome to the KF2 Wiki!

Please feel free to add any Tips, Tricks, or anything that would be beneficial to the KF2 Family

Introduction and Pictures Introduction and Pictures

ElectronicsSetupElectronicsSetups

Setup SheetsSetup Sheets

EmulsionShocksEmulsion Shocks

Tony Newland Gear Diff BuildTony Newland Gear Diff Build

Suggested Gearing

17.5 I ran 69/31 at SRS Scottsdale Arizona and 72/30 at MHOR Aurora Co and Full Throttle ALB, NM RCM lockout worked excellent!

MIP pucks excellent upgrade! The new RCM lockout is an excellent piece as well! These options will greatly reduce weight throughout the drive line!

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 12-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #661
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post
I posted this on the KF thread too.... anyone know if the KF2 bodies fit on the original KF?

Also, are there any other options for spur gears? Can I run AE?
Would you be showing up at Bumps with a KF2 SE sometime soon.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:38 AM   #662
Tech Fanatic

Can we use a shorty battery with the std forward motor layout ?
Old 12-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #663
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alport78 View Post
Can we use a shorty battery with the std forward motor layout ?
I don't believe you can because the belt runs without the second tensioner. If you were to get a longer belt and ran the second tensioner you probably could run a shorty.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #664
Tech Regular

I thought the 117t belt allowed the shorty to be used with the forward motor position? The 113t belt is for forward motor position and saddles and the 103t belt is for the low grip set up. From memory all three belts were in the KF2 kit, if not then you can get the belt from Schumacher or stockist.
Badger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #665
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

so just built my car the other day and have noticed my diff already leaked without even driving it, by just building per kit instructions.

was i meant to slather it everywhere with green slime??
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:04 PM   #666
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by I)arkness View Post
so just built my car the other day and have noticed my diff already leaked without even driving it, by just building per kit instructions.

was i meant to slather it everywhere with green slime??
Schumacher diffs are a little particular if you ask me. They leak like crazy with the old black o-rings or if the outdrives have any room to move in and out. Make sure you've got orange o-rings and your outdrives are shimmed properly and they'll last a long time.
Saturn V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #667
Tech Apprentice

I have an idea of fitting a cat k2 motor assembly to get the motor as far back as possible. I have done a basic fitup, but from what I can tell belt clearance where it runs over the motor then back over top of itself might be a problem.
Anybody else thought of this?

Last edited by 71WOK; 01-14-2016 at 12:45 PM. Reason: change
71WOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #668
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71WOK View Post
I have an idea of fitting a cat k2 motor assembly to get the motor as far back as possible. I have done a basic fitup, but from what I can tell belt clearance where it runs over the motor then back over top of itself might be a problem.
Anybody else thought of this?
I had this same idea, but considering the height required for the the belt to clear the motor and provide enough of a gap so that the teeth aren't hitting each other would put a lot of weight high on the chassis not to mention requiring a complete redesign of the motor assembly. Unless you race on a track that favors a higher roll center, I can't imagine this being very desirable.

I think you'd be better off trying to adapt an SV2 or KFR rear end than redesigning the belt tranny.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Old 01-15-2016, 01:36 AM   #669
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdanger View Post
I had this same idea, but considering the height required for the the belt to clear the motor and provide enough of a gap so that the teeth aren't hitting each other would put a lot of weight high on the chassis not to mention requiring a complete redesign of the motor assembly. Unless you race on a track that favors a higher roll center, I can't imagine this being very desirable.
I think you'd be better off trying to adapt an SV2 or KFR rear end than redesigning the belt tranny.
Thanks for your feedback. Have you thought about different length chassis's?
71WOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #670
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71WOK View Post
Have you thought about different length chassis's?
I have and tried contacting a few different people who produce custom RC accessories, but no one replied to my request.

In the end, I asked myself how much time, effort, and money do I need to spend on this car? The KF2 is one of the more expensive cars, if not the most expensive, on the market when you consider the cost of the options required for dirt track racing (ball diff, rear mount shocks, and MM chassis conversion + body). For half the price you can purchase a B5M or TLR 22 3.0.

I am loving my 3.0! I still have my KF2. It's in a box in my garage. Maybe one day, I'll put some electronics back in it and mess around with it.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #671
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn V View Post
Schumacher diffs are a little particular if you ask me. They leak like crazy with the old black o-rings or if the outdrives have any room to move in and out. Make sure you've got orange o-rings and your outdrives are shimmed properly and they'll last a long time.
I have 8 gear diffs, none of them leak, if you over fill the diff it will leak. Only fill your diffs so that the oil is to the top of the cross pins, not the top of the gears. If your diffs still leak after building them this way you may have a bad o ring. Contact Schumacher customer service if you think you may have a defective diff.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #672
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_OBrien View Post
I must be missing something here have the KF2 se. With the low grip option on it and I cannot get my shorty pack in there without taking the side rail off any ideas
you will have to file or grind down the side rail so the battery slides in.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:28 PM   #673
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdanger View Post
I have and tried contacting a few different people who produce custom RC accessories, but no one replied to my request.

In the end, I asked myself how much time, effort, and money do I need to spend on this car? The KF2 is one of the more expensive cars, if not the most expensive, on the market when you consider the cost of the options required for dirt track racing (ball diff, rear mount shocks, and MM chassis conversion + body). For half the price you can purchase a B5M or TLR 22 3.0.

I am loving my 3.0! I still have my KF2. It's in a box in my garage. Maybe one day, I'll put some electronics back in it and mess around with it.

What Ive found though with other manufactures quality and tolerance isnt that good. Thus you get what your paying for.
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:47 PM   #674
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by I)arkness View Post
What Ive found though with other manufactures quality and tolerance isnt that good. Thus you get what your paying for.
I completely agree. The only Schumacher build I've done is a KF2 and the build was fantastic. High quality parts. Perfect tolerances with no slop nor tightness. Clearly designed and very easy to follow instruction manual. You are right. The quality you get is what you pay for.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:16 PM   #675
Tech Regular

From Reedy Race, "Top European at the end of 2WD practice would be Polish ace Michal Orlowski. The factory Schumacher driver said having started out the day with forward traction a ‘really big problem’ so to end up 9th fastest he was ‘so happy’. Having to completely change his car, including making a conversion that moved the motor position 30mm further back in the car, the 14-year-old said now looking for more steering they will switch to a softer front spring. A star of the Euro Offroad Series and making the final in both 2WD & 4WD at the World Championships in Japan, he said the track here at OCRC is very different to what he is used to but he is enjoying this year’s layout and bigger jumps."

I'm curious to see what he did!