R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: New Schumacher KF2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MelKF2
Welcome to the KF2 Wiki!

Please feel free to add any Tips, Tricks, or anything that would be beneficial to the KF2 Family

Introduction and Pictures Introduction and Pictures

ElectronicsSetupElectronicsSetups

Setup SheetsSetup Sheets

EmulsionShocksEmulsion Shocks

Tony Newland Gear Diff BuildTony Newland Gear Diff Build

Suggested Gearing

17.5 I ran 69/31 at SRS Scottsdale Arizona and 72/30 at MHOR Aurora Co and Full Throttle ALB, NM RCM lockout worked excellent!

MIP pucks excellent upgrade! The new RCM lockout is an excellent piece as well! These options will greatly reduce weight throughout the drive line!

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 11-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #616
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, so today at work I ran into a kid who has a k1 for sale. Im thinking of buying it as I had wanted to get into stock buggy. He's got 2 cf chassis for it, and aluminum one for it. Comes with four bodies also. He wants 130 for it or 250 with a tekin rs gen and Rev tech 17.5T motor. What do you guys think, how is this buggy compared to a B5m or the kf 2.
Thanks for any advice
TRoy9696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:00 PM   #617
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRoy9696 View Post
Hey guys, so today at work I ran into a kid who has a k1 for sale. Im thinking of buying it as I had wanted to get into stock buggy. He's got 2 cf chassis for it, and aluminum one for it. Comes with four bodies also. He wants 130 for it or 250 with a tekin rs gen and Rev tech 17.5T motor. What do you guys think, how is this buggy compared to a B5m or the kf 2.
Thanks for any advice
It's completely different than the B5M and KF2 as the K1 is a 4wd buggy and the other two are 2wd. That's comparing apples to oranges. Did you intended to say KF? KF is a 2wd.

I'd pass on the electronics only because I'm not a fan of Tekin electronics and motors have a useful life. You can get a nice electronics setup for $150. Besides, 17.5 in a 4wd is very unusual in my opinion. Blinky 4wd generally uses 13.5. Did the kid really drive this car with a 17.5 or he is just throwing it in?

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #618
Tech Initiate

Yeah sorry I meant kf
Old 11-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #619
Tech Regular

The KF is a good car for carpet. If you race on dirt, I wouldn't think twice about getting a B5M over this car. If you are hell bent on Schumacher then get the KF2 with the MM option.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Old 11-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #620
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdanger View Post
It's completely different than the B5M and KF2 as the K1 is a 4wd buggy and the other two are 2wd. That's comparing apples to oranges. Did you intended to say KF? KF is a 2wd.

I'd pass on the electronics only because I'm not a fan of Tekin electronics and motors have a useful life. You can get a nice electronics setup for $150. Besides, 17.5 in a 4wd is very unusual in my opinion. Blinky 4wd generally uses 13.5. Did the kid really drive this car with a 17.5 or he is just throwing it in?
17.5 blinky in 4wd isnt as unusual as you think. its is what is being run as stock 4wd class in Australia
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #621
Tech Adept

JP, I take it you don't like the KF or KF2 for dirt? I haven't read this entire thread, so apologies if you already aired your gripes.
avaldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #622
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaldes View Post
JP, I take it you don't like the KF or KF2 for dirt? I haven't read this entire thread, so apologies if you already aired your gripes.
No worries. I ranted enough many pages ago. No, I do not like the KF2 for dirt. The KF2 was possibly the best build I've ever done and it's extremely easy to work on and maintain. However, I believe it was never intended for dirt use. Schumacher is an English company that designed the KF/2 to work for their market which is primarily carpet. It can be made to work on dirt and even more so with the recently released MM option, but that is just a band-aid fix and doesn't solve all of it's short comings.

The price of the kit can also be very prohibitive as well especially considering it doesn't come with a ball diff, rear facing shock setup, and the additional cost of the MM option, or the CF chassis if you're running stock. I'll also recommend pucks or longer axles since the stock axles are barely long enough with the amount of ride height and droop generally used on dirt.

Others disagree with me on this issue, but this is my opinion. I think Schumacher made a mistake discontinuing the SV line and not designing a car to work in the US/dirt market.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #623
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run on high grip clay. When it is moist, nothing can beat my KF1. Once the track starts to dry, it's hopeless and I bust out the 4wd cars or my RB6.
scoobyrs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #624
Tech Initiate

Well, the only tracks that my lhs race 2wd 1/10 buggy on is astro turf and carpet. Would I be better off spending the extra money on a B5m or is the kf just as good?
Old 11-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #625
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Well, the only tracks that my lhs race 2wd 1/10 buggy on is astro turf and carpet. Would I be better off spending the extra money on a B5m or is the kf just as good?
The Schumacher will work great on carpet and probably pretty well on astro.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #626
Tech Regular

A KF2 will be awesome on carpet or astro.
Badger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #627
Tech Initiate

Right now i have the opportunity to buy either a used kf or b5m. For carpet and astro turf what should i go with.
Are the kf and k2 parts compatible?
Thanks guys

Last edited by TRoy9696; 11-18-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #628
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default kf/kf2/kfse

The KFSE is the way to go if your track has the grip. the ball diff is yes better on dirt, for mod the aluminum chassis is the way to go.
the aluminum rear shock mount is helpful. I only run on dirt, 90% of the tracks I race on are high grip for dirt. Either hard pack dry like Cruzin, Wolcott, and RCHR, or wet clay like Critter, and IRH. If your track runs slicks you should be able to run a KF car no problem. When grip is low only one track I go to has low grip Family Hobbies outdoor I use my KR. But they sometimes spray the track with soda and my KFMM is lights out fast. It is a shame that the SV2 has not been updated as there is a market for the car maybe they will update it soon. I would bet you will see some of the things on the K2 put on the 2wd cars, the new ball cups and new rear pins. Each one of their cars is very good for what it is made for. you may see a SV3 one day.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #629
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default kf

Quote:
Right now i have the opportunity to buy either a used kf or b5m. For carpet and astro turf what should i go with.
Are the kf and k2 parts compatible?
Thanks guys
Right now there is no better car that the KF for carpet and astro turf. out of the box it is perfect on carpet. some of the parts on the K2 are the same. diff's rear arms, rear bulkhead, rear shock tower, rear sway bar, rear hubs, rear drive shafts, rear bearings, wing mount. the shocks are the same front and rear. the slipper is the same, the spur, maybe more. The best cars for carpet. My K2 is on the way I cant wait to get it.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #630
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maizer View Post
you may see a SV3 one day.
I thought it was confirmed that Schumacher will NOT be continuing the SV line.