R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: New Schumacher KF2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MelKF2
Welcome to the KF2 Wiki!

Please feel free to add any Tips, Tricks, or anything that would be beneficial to the KF2 Family

Introduction and Pictures Introduction and Pictures

ElectronicsSetupElectronicsSetups

Setup SheetsSetup Sheets

EmulsionShocksEmulsion Shocks

Tony Newland Gear Diff BuildTony Newland Gear Diff Build

Suggested Gearing

17.5 I ran 69/31 at SRS Scottsdale Arizona and 72/30 at MHOR Aurora Co and Full Throttle ALB, NM RCM lockout worked excellent!

MIP pucks excellent upgrade! The new RCM lockout is an excellent piece as well! These options will greatly reduce weight throughout the drive line!

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 08-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #496
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelKF2 View Post
Matt you must be psychics! I order asc 9739 yesterday. My cage parts weight at 17.9grs (SkyRC).
Ha. That's pretty wild that you ended up using the exact same spring.

I'm really interested to see how much weight the aluminum MIP out drives save over the stock steel ones. Those things are pretty meaty.
motorcitymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:59 PM   #497
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcitymatt View Post
Ha. That's pretty wild that you ended up using the exact same spring.

I'm really interested to see how much weight the aluminum MIP out drives save over the stock steel ones. Those things are pretty meaty.
I will check that weight difference. To be totally correct I had also ordered asc 7486 just in cast the other was wrong! Just guessing on length and it less then $2.00 so no great loss. My ride should scale out at 1450 +- 5grs after cage unit -18 grs/ battery -69 grs. That will allow me to add some side weight!
MelKF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:33 AM   #498
Tech Regular

Default Toe blocks

Quote:
I am assuming you meant the rear arms? Did you start off with the front arms flipped too?

Also, are you running the 4 degree rear toe-in blocks? The kit ones are just 3 degrees.
On the 4 degree's blocks is the low side of blocks facing in on chassis the 4 degree's setting?
Old 08-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #499
Tech Adept

Quote:
On the 4 degree's blocks is the low side of blocks facing in on chassis the 4 degree's setting?
Correct.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:12 AM   #500
Tech Regular

Default Track time!!!

Quote:
Correct.
Thanks Matt!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #501
Tech Adept

I got the MIP puck drive kit today and I measured a 15.1g savings in weight over the stock diff assembly and KR CVD shafts. Combine that with the 18g saved from the slipper and that is 33.1g of rotating mass eliminated. That seems like a lot considering it amounts to more than 2% of the total mass of the car.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #502
Tech Regular

Default Driveline

Quote:
I got the MIP puck drive kit today and I measured a 15.1g savings in weight over the stock diff assembly and KR CVD shafts. Combine that with the 18g saved from the slipper and that is 33.1g of rotating mass eliminated. That seems like a lot considering it amounts to more than 2% of the total mass of the car.
I never ran the stock driveline so I was not able to check weight! My bad😠 That is a lot of weight more than I thought. How about this new High Roll Cener Kit U4734 will this new option require the lowering of the rear camber link shim to offset your last setup posted? Also it is funny to see Schumacher come out with this option just after you brought up that issue a few thread's back! What did you do call them or what!!! Lol 😀 I can't wait to get my buggy back on the track with all these new change's. Just waiting on B.O. chassis!

Last edited by MelKF2; 08-19-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #503
Tech Adept

I am also impressed with how much slack the puck system took out of the drivetrain. My outdrive slots were not even that worn and there is a very noticeable difference now with the pucks in there. I can only rotate the wheel a degree or so either way before engaging the transmission. The diff is also very smooth. Subjectively, I think it is noticeably smoother than the stock diff. We'll see how it lasts compared to stock.

My car now weighs 1540 fully loaded and that is with about 40g of weight in the back That is also with some pretty heavy wheels/tires (222g).

The new kit that raises the roll center is actually doing the opposite with the rear compared to what I was trying to do.They are trying to reduce the roll by raising the roll center where I was lowering the roll center to get more roll. Unless you are running on really high grip I wouldn't try the kit.

I am going to the track tomorrow to test the car out in 17.5 trim, which I have yet to try. If I can get the zip/acceleration out of the car for clearing jumps after experimenting with gearing a little then I will be completely sold on this MM conversion. I was having a lot of difficulty before in 17.5 compared to my B5M because of the lack of forward bite.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #504
Tech Regular

Default Roll

Quote:
I am also impressed with how much slack the puck system took out of the drivetrain. My outdrive slots were not even that worn and there is a very noticeable difference now with the pucks in there. I can only rotate the wheel a degree or so either way before engaging the transmission. The diff is also very smooth. Subjectively, I think it is noticeably smoother than the stock diff. We'll see how it lasts compared to stock.

My car now weighs 1540 fully loaded and that is with about 40g of weight in the back That is also with some pretty heavy wheels/tires (222g).

The new kit that raises the roll center is actually doing the opposite with the rear compared to what I was trying to do.They are trying to reduce the roll by raising the roll center where I was lowering the roll center to get more roll. Unless you are running on really high grip I wouldn't try the kit.

I am going to the track tomorrow to test the car out in 17.5 trim, which I have yet to try. If I can get the zip/acceleration out of the car for clearing jumps after experimenting with gearing a little then I will be completely sold on this MM conversion. I was having a lot of difficulty before in 17.5 compared to my B5M because of the lack of forward bite.
OK I understand! So one of my tracks which this one is in Colorado Springs, Co RMR has a lot of grip! So much that slicks are the ticket so the roll center kit should work excellent there! If I do buy chance have to much side bit is adjusting the rear link the fine tuning point? Looking forward to seeing your results with 17.5! With that much weight off the dive train how could you not make those jumps right!
Old 08-20-2015, 05:20 AM   #505
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
I never ran the stock driveline so I was not able to check weight! My bad�� That is a lot of weight more than I thought. How about this new High Roll Cener Kit U4734 will this new option require the lowering of the rear camber link shim to offset your last setup posted? Also it is funny to see Schumacher come out with this option just after you brought up that issue a few thread's back! What did you do call them or what!!! Lol �� I can't wait to get my buggy back on the track with all these new change's. Just waiting on B.O. chassis!
Schumacher does listen to what customerís, and team drivers are doing to their cars. It is nice to see a company do that because not all RC companyís take the time do this. Not sure if any of you are near NJ but Family Hobbyís in Vinland NJ is having their Eastern states Championships 9/5 1/10th scale and 9/6 is 1/18th scale. It is one of the best outdoor tracks on the east coast for over 30 years. Canít wait.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:18 AM   #506
Tech Regular

Default Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maizer View Post
Schumacher does listen to what customerís, and team drivers are doing to their cars. It is nice to see a company do that because not all RC companyís take the time do this. Not sure if any of you are near NJ but Family Hobbyís in Vinland NJ is having their Eastern states Championships 9/5 1/10th scale and 9/6 is 1/18th scale. It is one of the best outdoor tracks on the east coast for over 30 years. Canít wait.
One would think that this practice was throughout the RC industry. It's nice to know that Schumacher listen's to all drivers opinion's. :-)
Old 08-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #507
Tech Regular

Matt, you said earlier you were at 1633g. What did you do to get to 1540 after the MIP diff and removing the slipper cage?

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #508
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdanger View Post
Matt, you said earlier you were at 1633g. What did you do to get to 1540 after the MIP diff and removing the slipper cage?
- MIP pucks & slipper parts ~ 33.1g
- Battery hold down and chassis braces ~ 17.2g
- Took out 14g of side weights (7g both sides)
- Lunsford Super Duty ball studs and linkage ?
- Changed Reedy 8.5 for Trinity D4 1s ?

The last two account for about 28g. I can't remember how much each was because I didn't write it down. I do remember being surprised by how much less the Trinity motor weighed. Probably because it is shorter than most motors in length because it has a shorter rotor/can.

I could actually be at 1525 if I took off the epic one chassis protector.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:08 PM   #509
Tech Adept

Oh, I also just remembered I saved about 12g by going to 14 awg wire to the motor instead of 12 awg.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #510
Tech Regular

I'm curious to see what you end up for gearing. I have the same D4 1s non certified motor and 28/71 worked well for me, but my KF2 always ran hot. My KF2 always ran 20-30deg hotter than my other cars. I'll get between 170-180deg after eight minutes.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote