Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New Schumacher KF2 >

New Schumacher KF2

Like Tree12Likes

New Schumacher KF2

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: New Schumacher KF2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MelKF2
Welcome to the KF2 Wiki!

Please feel free to add any Tips, Tricks, or anything that would be beneficial to the KF2 Family

Introduction and Pictures Introduction and Pictures

ElectronicsSetupElectronicsSetups

Setup SheetsSetup Sheets

EmulsionShocksEmulsion Shocks

Tony Newland Gear Diff BuildTony Newland Gear Diff Build

Suggested Gearing

17.5 I ran 69/31 at SRS Scottsdale Arizona and 72/30 at MHOR Aurora Co and Full Throttle ALB, NM RCM lockout worked excellent!

MIP pucks excellent upgrade! The new RCM lockout is an excellent piece as well! These options will greatly reduce weight throughout the drive line!

Print Wikipost

Old 05-03-2015, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Hey all,

I just ordered a KF2 and was wondering if you can build it to fit a shorty pack w/out purchasing aftermarket mods? Thanks!
Old 05-03-2015, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LoudOne
Hey all,

I just ordered a KF2 and was wondering if you can build it to fit a shorty pack w/out purchasing aftermarket mods? Thanks!
Yes you can build it for a shortie from the kit.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Basic starting point for gearing a KF with 17.5?

It'll be indoor clay, medium size track.

Thanks again!
Old 05-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pirate$X$
Basic starting point for gearing a KF with 17.5?

It'll be indoor clay, medium size track.

Thanks again!
32/71
Old 05-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jpdanger
What kind of surface are you driving on? What are you using for a setup?
The surface is not ideal for this car, ran it on a medium traction dirt/clay mix. For set up I started with just the build set up from the manual. Running 30 weight in the back and 32.5 in the front. Built the gear diff with 12.5k oil that came with the kit but it was way to heavy. Dropped down to 2k and it was better. Dropped down again to 1k and the diff feels much nicer. Running super soft bar codes on front and back. That is the popular tire at the track. I do have it set up in the LG configuration with the rear shocks mounted on the back of the arms.

It is also my first buggy with a mod motor. Been running my KR in 17.5 stock. I had a HobbyWing 10.5 I put in the KF, so a lot of my problems last night were trigger finger induced.

The car did pretty well if I stayed on the race line in the grove, and if I was easy on the throttle. But if it got out of the grove, it would spin out every time.

Lots of folks at the track running B5Ms and Losi set up as mid motor. I mainly got the KF2 to run at SRS where the traction is super high. I am also going to get a different motor. Probably drop down to a 13.5 which should be a bit more controllable for me.

I'd say most of the issues I had with it the first time out are 75% driver induced. But any pointers would be welcomed.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riverbluff
The surface is not ideal for this car, ran it on a medium traction dirt/clay mix. For set up I started with just the build set up from the manual. Running 30 weight in the back and 32.5 in the front. Built the gear diff with 12.5k oil that came with the kit but it was way to heavy. Dropped down to 2k and it was better. Dropped down again to 1k and the diff feels much nicer. Running super soft bar codes on front and back. That is the popular tire at the track. I do have it set up in the LG configuration with the rear shocks mounted on the back of the arms.

It is also my first buggy with a mod motor. Been running my KR in 17.5 stock. I had a HobbyWing 10.5 I put in the KF, so a lot of my problems last night were trigger finger induced.

The car did pretty well if I stayed on the race line in the grove, and if I was easy on the throttle. But if it got out of the grove, it would spin out every time.

Lots of folks at the track running B5Ms and Losi set up as mid motor. I mainly got the KF2 to run at SRS where the traction is super high. I am also going to get a different motor. Probably drop down to a 13.5 which should be a bit more controllable for me.

I'd say most of the issues I had with it the first time out are 75% driver induced. But any pointers would be welcomed.

The ball diff should help a lot out doors, and on the SRS clay.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by scoobyrs25
I have Kyosho in mine, but for all Schumacher brand stuff, really, let Phil of DiscountRCstore.com take amazing care of you. I've never had customer service over the internet better than there.
-Kevin
Originally Posted by motorcitymatt
My experience has been the same.
Originally Posted by spu83
Couldn't agree more.

.. Thanks so much guys.. We appreciate everyone's support ..!

..p
Old 05-03-2015, 08:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Anyone know if U4708 (LG conversion KF2) works with the KF Alloy chassis U4622?

It looks like I'd be missing some parts. I already have the lipo shorty conversion, getting the alloy chassis, and want to run rear motor position.
Can't figure out what exactly to buy to make it happen.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pirate$X$
Anyone know if U4708 (LG conversion KF2) works with the KF Alloy chassis U4622?

It looks like I'd be missing some parts. I already have the lipo shorty conversion, getting the alloy chassis, and want to run rear motor position.
Can't figure out what exactly to buy to make it happen.
If you have the KF2, everything you need to run forward or rear motor position comes with the kit. However, if you want to use the KF2 chassic with the original KF, I don't think it will work. The rear block set up is different on the KF2, the motor mount is different as is the layshaft and center pulley housing are different.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

as mentioned run a ball diff. Even if you try running a gear diff with 50wt (which does work nice on low traction tracks) there is a day and night difference between the two
Old 05-06-2015, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The surface is not ideal for this car, ran it on a medium traction dirt/clay mix....
This too is my opinion of this car. I have tried a lot of setup changes designed to increase rear traction incorporating settings from Tom Cockerill's setup for Motorama using the original KF and following the advice/experience/setups from Tony Newland found in the original KF thread. Our track is a low-med bite indoor clay surface. This car was designed for Astro and very high bite and the fact it can even be tuned to run decently on this surface is a notable engineering accomplishment by Schumacher.

However, at the end of the day I believe it boils down to weight distribution. The best I could get on this car on the scale was 38.5%/61.5% front to rear. That is with the rear and front arms reversed, low grip kit, shorty all the way back, shocks on the back etc. I have a B5M that I run at the same track with the same tires, ball diff, total weight using the same electronics and I am able to push it substantially harder and drive it more aggressively. The difference? Its weight distribution is about 37%/63% front to rear. I personally find it hard to believe that 1.5% can make that much of a difference but I can't explain it any other way.

When it is hooking up well it can run with anything and can turn inside the competition in almost any situation. It also has a very graceful attitude on jumps that is really fun to watch. For my track's surface however I feel like I am going through too many contortions and departing too far from the car's intended design to be comfortable. I don't like feeling as though I am on the edge of what is possible with it.

My advice for anyone would be to really understand your track's spectrum of traction conditions and to adjust your expectations for this car accordingly.

Last edited by motorcitymatt; 05-06-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Your absolutely correct. And 1.5% is a huge difference in the realm of 2wd buggies.... I like 63-64% rear. That's the only time it felt consistent or predictable. The guys having alot of success are on carpet, I prefer my sv2
Old 05-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
Your absolutely correct. And 1.5% is a huge difference in the realm of 2wd buggies.... I like 63-64% rear. That's the only time it felt consistent or predictable. The guys having alot of success are on carpet, I prefer my sv2
Old 05-07-2015, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Or if you are really bored you can try something like this:

http://www.petitrc.com/_forumphp/sho...-SF-by-oliv996

I call it "Franken-Cougar"

Looking at the layout of the B5M and the KF2 from the top when both have shorty packs installed and the KF2 has shocks on the back it "looks" like the KF2 would have more rearward weight distribution than the B5M because the battery sits further back than the motor, which is much lighter. However, the layshafts/pulleys/mounts/slipper assembly for the transmission in the KF2 are pretty heavy so that probably ends up being a substantial difference compared to the plastic gearbox on the B5M.

At this point I am not willing to spend the money to find out but I am betting if you went with a low profile servo up front, ran the CF chassis and moved that saved weight to the rear of the car in the form of some brass you might be able to get into the 62% range at the rear. To get more you would probably have to go with titanium layshafts and carbon fiber pieces for the trans mounts. But that's a project for Shawn @ Plan B Racing
Old 05-07-2015, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by motorcitymatt
Or if you are really bored you can try something like this:

http://www.petitrc.com/_forumphp/sho...-SF-by-oliv996

I call it "Franken-Cougar"
That looks awesome!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.