Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New Schumacher KF2 >

New Schumacher KF2

Like Tree12Likes

New Schumacher KF2

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: New Schumacher KF2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MelKF2
Welcome to the KF2 Wiki!

Please feel free to add any Tips, Tricks, or anything that would be beneficial to the KF2 Family

Introduction and Pictures Introduction and Pictures

ElectronicsSetupElectronicsSetups

Setup SheetsSetup Sheets

EmulsionShocksEmulsion Shocks

Tony Newland Gear Diff BuildTony Newland Gear Diff Build

Suggested Gearing

17.5 I ran 69/31 at SRS Scottsdale Arizona and 72/30 at MHOR Aurora Co and Full Throttle ALB, NM RCM lockout worked excellent!

MIP pucks excellent upgrade! The new RCM lockout is an excellent piece as well! These options will greatly reduce weight throughout the drive line!

Print Wikipost

Old 03-23-2015, 04:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Stealth look done
Attached Thumbnails New Schumacher KF2-dsc_0007.jpg  
Old 03-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That looks solid. What kind of paint did you use on the body? Did you paint the outside or inside? I can't tell from the picture.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Black from inside. Tamiya ps-55 from outside for matte finish.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Build went well
Attached Thumbnails New Schumacher KF2-dsc_0011.jpg   New Schumacher KF2-dsc_0009.jpg  
Old 03-25-2015, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

I Removed most Of the slipper parts fully fasten it for stock carpet racing to reduce rotating mass
Attached Thumbnails New Schumacher KF2-dsc_0007.jpg  
Old 03-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

I'm thinking of picking one of these up for stock. I'd definitely be doin the shorty conversion and the carbon chassis is it would be used for indoor clay in the winter and clay outdoor in summer. Neither are high traction. So I'm wondering, how does the rolling resistance of the belt system compare to a 3 or 4 gear tranny? Also, is it feasible to get this thing down around minimum weight? Assuming 220g for the battery.
And I'm not afraid to be the first, but has anyone already run this on an outdoor track where traction can be kinda low?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by alport78
I Removed most Of the slipper parts fully fasten it for stock carpet racing to reduce rotating mass
Is that a spacer I see? You'll have to post how this works out for you. I'm currently running the full slipper in stock.

Coming from the b5M, I've noticed my KF2 has tremendous acceleration, but lacks top end. It's not substantial, but noticeable. What ground my B5M may gain in the straights will only be lost in the infield.

I'm loving my new KF2!
Old 03-25-2015, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

What was the purpose of not going with the swapable side gears on the KF2? Does Schumacher plan on offering this as an option in the future?
Old 03-25-2015, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

I'll be interested to see how eliminating the slipper works out in terms of durability long term. Do you think having little to no give on a high traction surface might be a little hard on the rest of the drivetrain? I think you mentioned a few posts back that you were running on medium traction carpet so perhaps it is not that much of an issue. I am assuming people you race against do the same thing in the stock class? Are you at a noticeable/measurable disadvantage running against other cars in the class that are set up this way?

The car looks sweet btw.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Thomas PA
.....how does the rolling resistance of the belt system compare to a 3 or 4 gear tranny?
This is really hard to quantify objectively. To really know the answer you would have to be able to measure the rotating mass and frictional losses of both systems. Otherwise you are making an educated guess subjectively by "feel".

If you add up the mass of the shafts, side gears, pulleys and belt involved with the KF2 drivetrain I am betting it will compare similarly with mass of the gear transmissions found in other cars, maybe a little heavier. However, the belt and pulleys are more efficient than the gears in terms of friction so that might help to even the score.

Purely speculating I would expect a properly adjusted (tension) belt drive system to have negligible differences between a typical gear transmission in terms of overall efficiency.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 AM
Tech Regular

I suspect they will be offering the alternative side gears in time as it was a good option when the traction wasn't there to use the high inertia ones. During the build I tried my ones from the KF and they could be made to work if I made some spacers.

Friction in the drive train and comparing gear to belts is a difficult one. If you try guessing by turning the transmission in your hand you would instantly say that gear was more efficient but their friction increases with load , but from driving belt driven cars I think the on power friction is fairly static under load whilst it seems to increase off power. I know in 4wd belt is more efficient as the bevel gears in shaft drive systems suck power when under load. Comparing a single belt to a gear transmission on a 2wd buggy though is tough.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jpdanger
Is that a spacer I see? You'll have to post how this works out for you. I'm currently running the full slipper in stock.

Coming from the b5M, I've noticed my KF2 has tremendous acceleration, but lacks top end. It's not substantial, but noticeable. What ground my B5M may gain in the straights will only be lost in the infield.

I'm loving my new KF2!
Yes this is a plastic spacer from one of mine 1/8 buggies. You can olsa use a longer spring.

Originally Posted by motorcitymatt
I'll be interested to see how eliminating the slipper works out in terms of durability long term. Do you think having little to no give on a high traction surface might be a little hard on the rest of the drivetrain? I think you mentioned a few posts back that you were running on medium traction carpet so perhaps it is not that much of an issue. I am assuming people you race against do the same thing in the stock class? Are you at a noticeable/measurable disadvantage running against other cars in the class that are set up this way?
The car looks sweet btw.
We race for a long time on same surface. This is not my first buggy. We allways use locked slippers with other cars (serpent, yokomo) if the car don't wheelie and never had an issue . I race only once a month, so long term will be very long for me
Old 03-26-2015, 01:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Thomas PA
I'm thinking of picking one of these up for stock. I'd definitely be doin the shorty conversion and the carbon chassis is it would be used for indoor clay in the winter and clay outdoor in summer. Neither are high traction. So I'm wondering, how does the rolling resistance of the belt system compare to a 3 or 4 gear tranny? Also, is it feasible to get this thing down around minimum weight? Assuming 220g for the battery.
And I'm not afraid to be the first, but has anyone already run this on an outdoor track where traction can be kinda low?
There are new shorties around 150g but I don't know if those will be a good choice for low traction.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:08 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the responses! Very good point with how they behave differently under load. Assume 220g for the battery cause that's what mine weighs. Haha. I like to run a fairly large pack to reduce power loss
Old 03-26-2015, 04:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

I build the shocks emulsif with stock caps according to manual . What are the vented caps for ? do they have any advantage if you run emulsion shocks ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.