Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How good are expensive electronics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default How good are expensive electronics?

Looking for honest unbiased opinions ONLY!

Currently run pretty high end stuff in my SCTE, Tekin Rx8 and pro 4, radiopost servo and airtronics mT-4 radio. I firmly believe that the tx/rx was worth the money, the truck has gobs of power, but so do other setups. The servo is great, but other servos could do the job for a lot less money.

Now I am building a D413 and originally wasn't expecting to be able to afford any high end stuff, circumstances have changed and now I can. But I'm curious, how much better will my car be (NOT my skills hahaha) if I were to run super high end stuff, namely an RSX with a Fantom Ion V5. But any high end stuff for that matter versus say a Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1 with a SP Comp motor? But mostly just in general, high end vs low end will I get my money's worth?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Well when i had no choice years ago there was only the name brand more expensive escs and motors no other choices.

Now i been running Hobbywing esc and motors , Trackstar 540 motors for my 2wd with no issues over time with going bad or blowing on me. Chargers and lipos are the same way even though name brand lipos some are way overpriced ! Servos even the bigger name ones are priced well reasonable so no need to go with a smaller name one really.

So really it comes to how much money you have to spend and do you want more of a warranty/consumer service.''

Only thing i would not skip on is radios and Receivers quality and brand wise. Been there with a older Flysky radio couldn't even get it to work no matter what i did.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I've seen lower cost electronics last for years and I've seen the most expensive ones last a day and vice versa. I usually try a few out then sell what I don't like and buy more of what I do.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Tekin makes top notch stuff...I have owned 4 RX8s, 2 PRO 4s a PRO 4HD, an RS gen 1, RS pro, and several 10.5 and 13.t turn motors, and a 1700kv t8...all have performed perfectly. I have been very happy with all the Tekin products I have owned.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Only thing I would think about buying on the high end side would be a 17.5 motor. A lot of ESC's are basically HW's rebranded with slightly different software. Turnigy or Vant battery packs for me (half the price of Reedy's or Orion's) Mod motor's, I run a Turnigy trackstar 6.5, plenty of power for me. Radio's I run a Spektrum DX3R pro, a low-mid range radio I guess (I would love an Airtronics though)
Old 01-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I think a lot of it is relative to the features you want, also how they back it with warranty, etc.

You have to determine what matters to you at that point.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Agree never skimp on the tx/rx, you have INHO the best tx/rx.

ESC, you don't need to spend a fortune but I believe you MUST have one that has a program card. Being able to dial in drag brake and other features is critical for racing competitive. The Hobby-Wing is in reality a cheaper exact version of the more expensive ESCs.

Servos, I prefer a balance between speed and torque, metal gears and ball bearings are a must. There are several mid $$$ servos that can meet these needs. But since $$$ is not a factor I would buy the SAVOX high speed/good torque servo SC-1257TG or SC-1258TG.

Batteries, the batteries run a the recent Reedy Race were ORION 4500/100C for only $65 at A-main Hobbies. So spending $100+ for pack is definitely NOT necessary. Heck I use for local racing, HobbyTown shorty's 4600/90C for $49 and have plenty of power and battery life. Just ensure it is 90C+, I have the ORIONs for bigger races where .01 seconds can make a difference.

Bottom line IMHO here is I believe if you can spend less, but don't go to cheap:

Radio/RX - A must $$$, its not feature but quality and reliability.
ESC - Shop around, needs program options
Servos - shop around, but get a rugged servo
Batteries - shop around, but nothing under 90C
Old 01-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Rc-wise, I only go on the cheaper side of the spectrum on ESCs and batteries. Never had any problem with cheaper brands.

Motors and rc kits and tires for sure, stick to name brands though.

On servos, I don't really need to spend more than a $70 savox or xpert brand.

For stock, I'm doing the HW justock $45 and on mod, I go for the toro120a $75 though it's not roar approved if your track enforces that.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I live a cheap life, but I also know value. Tekin + customer service = Win.
E
Old 01-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mudcat981
Agree never skimp on the tx/rx, you have INHO the best tx/rx.

ESC, you don't need to spend a fortune but I believe you MUST have one that has a program card. Being able to dial in drag brake and other features is critical for racing competitive. The Hobby-Wing is in reality a cheaper exact version of the more expensive ESCs.

Servos, I prefer a balance between speed and torque, metal gears and ball bearings are a must. There are several mid $$$ servos that can meet these needs. But since $$$ is not a factor I would buy the SAVOX high speed/good torque servo SC-1257TG or SC-1258TG.

Batteries, the batteries run a the recent Reedy Race were ORION 4500/100C for only $65 at A-main Hobbies. So spending $100+ for pack is definitely NOT necessary. Heck I use for local racing, HobbyTown shorty's 4600/90C for $49 and have plenty of power and battery life. Just ensure it is 90C+, I have the ORIONs for bigger races where .01 seconds can make a difference.

Bottom line IMHO here is I believe if you can spend less, but don't go to cheap:

Radio/RX - A must $$$, its not feature but quality and reliability.
ESC - Shop around, needs program options
Servos - shop around, but get a rugged servo
Batteries - shop around, but nothing under 90C
Picking up an Orion Carbon Pro 100c 4500mah at my lhs with my kit, other batteries I was gonna order were SMC 60c 4400mah. I can get a Tekin RSX for the same price as the HW V3.1 and I already have an RX8, so one programming device for both ESCs. Just wondering if this would be more beneficial than say a Speed Passion setup or Hobbyking X-Car beyond tunability.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

My advice is go cheap on the esc ONLY (not that hobbywings are cheap anymore v3.1 is about the same now as an lrp I bought 3 years ago). The hobbyking, skyrc etc are decent quality and HW compatible FWs.

Never skimp on the radio, motors and maybe batteries (for stock- mod run those turnigys). You might luck out once in a while but better to be safe than sorry. I have owned some pretty nasty flysky stuff that made spectrum surface radios look good. Motors from hobbypartz were decent, but not rebuildable so no point.

An esc is pretty much a consumable (some last 2-3 years some less) but a consumable nonetheless . Its not if it will break but when.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not sure if I can agree with the go cheap on the ESC only part.

ESCs are important and also an important part of the feel of the car. The way you set it up, punch, resolution etc ... are all part of the ESCs features. Only time I go really cheap on an ESC is for cars I care not much about and for bashing with.

Motors - I think you can go cheap here. In the states, you have the $30 Turnigy Trackstar motors, where I live, we get Speed Passion V3 motors for about the same price. Of all the motors I've had, the SP V3s still work and have no issues with temps etc .... only exception I guess is when you're racing Stock, but hate the idea of stock classes where people are buying their way in to advantages.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This is an interesting topic. My thoughts...Buy a decent to very good transmitter. esc's.... I have owned so many..tekin, hobbywing, track star castle and traxxas.... My take...purchase a sensored system with a program card or some type of equip. To easily change settings. I have had two tekin rx8's and one is still working fine after two plus years. Tekin's customer service is fantastic. I have a hobbywing sct pro and one went bad and one works great. Great esc... I have a track star in my 2 wd buggy and it is great 120 amp for a third of the price... This after two hobbywings went bad shortly after purchase. I do not see a difference in performance...so the way I see it is purchase on the cheap and get a limited or basically no warranty or pay more, get a good warranty and support and purchase a tekin. As to motors....I have had great luck with track star motors, hobbywing, and tekin..I do not think it makes a difference...generally speaking. As to servos I have not had good luck with cheap servos...I usually purchase 80-130 dollar range but may try a Rsx or next time. As for batteries. SMC or pro match for me...
Old 01-28-2015, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Sometimes it's better to buy one time. There is always cheaper alternatives to anything in life. Buying electronics is always a gamble so it's nice to have a company that will stand behind it and repair it if something goes wrong. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with buying cheaper electronics though if you only want to put a little amount of money into the car. I've heard of people running cheap motors and some have worked for a long time and some only a few battery packs...same goes for the name brand electronics.

If anything, like others have said, I would at least get a good ESC and RX. Trackstar sells their motors for $30-$40 USD and at that price I'm willing to take a gamble.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I disagree about cheaping out on batteries. Every low cost battery I have used, except for the Turnigys I have, have puffed, although I seen some turnigys puff, just don't know how they were cared for. I will never buy another Venom battery, and every SMC I have ever seen has been puffed, I would never buy SMC either.

I run hobbywing ESCs in most of my stuff. The cost cant be beat. I guess that is the ony item I cheapen out on, because I run Trinity D4 motors, simply because I want reliable power from my 17.5s. I have always run Spektrum radios, never had any problems except a broken return spring, also run Spektrum servos, the 6070 is cheap and works. I run it in every one of my 1/10 scale, buggy, truck, and SCT as well as 4x4 SCT with no issues at all except for hitting a wall with my buggy and no servo saver. I tried 2 Hitec servos and they both failed, again, another product I would never buy, although a lot of people I know have had good luck with them.

This is an expensive hobby, anyway you look at it, save money on the parts that YOU feel are areas where you can save. A cheap battery that goes up in flames and burns up your r/c, car or house has not really saved you any money in the long run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.