Community
Wiki Posts
Search

buggy engine help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Default buggy engine help

I have a OS rg .21 engine that runs pretty good. A friend of mine gave me a bigger cooling head to put on it. I was wondering if it is as simple as just taking off the old head and putting on the new one,,,,,,or is there something special I should or should not do. I have never taken any of my engines apart,, scared I might mess something up. I heard one guy change his head and somehow he messed up his sleeve,,,also do I have to put some kind of silicone around the head when I put the new one back on? Sorry for all the questions I just dont wanna mess anything up.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if the head your buddy gave you is meant for an os rg, then you do not have to do anything special. Just make sure you take the head gaskets off the old head and put them on the new head.

to be honest, the head on the rg is pretty large, I don't see the point of putting a bigger one on.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The larger head will mask a lean condition by reducing temps. Don't think that because the engine ran well at 260f before the head change that you should be looking for that temp.
The RG is a 6 bolt head, be sure to tighten the head bolts evenly, a little at a time.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by o.s. power

to be honest, the head on the rg is pretty large, I don't see the point of putting a bigger one on.

uuum no the rg head is small... but an rg is worth $109 and the head is worth $60 so its not worth buying, but since u got it for free.... yes it is as simple as taking the 6 bolts off and putting it back on....

just a few precautions...

*** make sure you remember the head shims (i think there is 2 shims)

*** sometimes the sleeve may be stuck to the button head, so when you remove the head, the sleeve MAY come out aswell, make sure you put the sleeve in the right way (exhaust port to the rear)

*** make sure you use good quality hex screw drivers, you dont want to strip the screws...
Old 09-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok thanks guys,,,yeah the head is the same as the stock OS RG one,,just taller so it will come up above the body,,thanks for all your help.