Wiki Posts
Search

Can you bash with a 2WD buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug
Has anyone given thought to recommend a short course buggy?

It has the basher capable short course chassis, while keeping the buggy body the OP is looking for.

why yes.. yes I did

Last edited by bdemegs; 01-02-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/9050/

Its a pretty good deal for everything in that box . Fwiw , I dont like the term "basher" either . It really doesnt describe 5% of the people in this hobby , yet 75% of the people in this hobby have that label.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

OK, thanks for the suggestions, all.

Exactly how hard to control is a 2WD buggy? Is 1/8 easier than 1/10?
Old 01-02-2015, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you don't overpower it, it will be easy to control (so long as you have mastered the basics of driving).
Old 01-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by CTRJ
If you don't overpower it, it will be easy to control (so long as you have mastered the basics of driving).
OK! How bad could it be, right? I'm just used to mashing the throttle on my 4X4 and having it go in a straight line. Can you go all-out with a 2WD on dirt once it's hooked up? Or do you have to constantly feather the throttle?

Last edited by truggy1973; 01-02-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depends on how powerful a motor.....
Old 01-03-2015, 03:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Sure you can go all out ... until you want / have to corner Though if the surface allows, it's fun to slide into/around the corner either on brakes or with too much throttle.

2WD is a bit harder to keep on course. Due to weight distribution and the front wheels being pushed, the front loses traction sooner: goodbye steering.

1/10 buggies are often said to be rather fragile, in comparison. 2WD is a lot easier to maintain than 4WD.

For a roughly 1/8 size 2WD buggy, sometimes called 1/10 short course buggy to make confusion perfect, you could have a look at:
- Pro-line Pro-SCB (a kit, not RTR, though)
- Vaterra Glamis Fear (or a Uno if you can find one)
- Arrma Raider XL BLX
- Losi XXX-SCB
- Kyosho Ultima SCB
- Team Associated SCB

A short course truck will be longer, have good protection due to bumpers and shock mounts protected by the body. At the price of being less transport-friendly, catching dirt inside the body and jumping not quite as well due to drag and parachute effect.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by truggy1973
OK, thanks for the suggestions, all.

Exactly how hard to control is a 2WD buggy? Is 1/8 easier than 1/10?
I drove Stadium Trucks for several years and have switched to buggies in the last year or so. I would describe the buggies as more precise, more nimble, and more responsive to driver input. That said, they are also more likely to get out of control with high power setups in my opinion, since they have a narrower track width and a shorter wheelbase than a truck. A lot of people would describe this as "twitchy". I love my B5, and the B4.2 was fun - but I will be moving back to trucks as soon as a T5 or T5M is available.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by thorwil
Sure you can go all out ... until you want / have to corner Though if the surface allows, it's fun to slide into/around the corner either on brakes or with too much throttle.

2WD is a bit harder to keep on course. Due to weight distribution and the front wheels being pushed, the front loses traction sooner: goodbye steering.

1/10 buggies are often said to be rather fragile, in comparison. 2WD is a lot easier to maintain than 4WD.

For a roughly 1/8 size 2WD buggy, sometimes called 1/10 short course buggy to make confusion perfect, you could have a look at:
- Pro-line Pro-SCB (a kit, not RTR, though)
- Vaterra Glamis Fear (or a Uno if you can find one)
- Arrma Raider XL BLX
- Losi XXX-SCB
- Kyosho Ultima SCB
- Team Associated SCB

A short course truck will be longer, have good protection due to bumpers and shock mounts protected by the body. At the price of being less transport-friendly, catching dirt inside the body and jumping not quite as well due to drag and parachute effect.
Guy at the LHS told me today that scale buggies with built-in roll cages can be a real pain to work on. You guys think this is true?

Last edited by truggy1973; 01-03-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:38 AM
Tech Initiate

I can tell you first hand that working on the Vaterra Glamis Uno can be a pain, indeed. The Fear will be the same. Raider XL is likely not better in that regard. For the others I listed, most of the cage is part of the body that can be removed like any pure lexan body, AFAICS.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by thorwil
I can tell you first hand that working on the Vaterra Glamis Uno can be a pain, indeed. The Fear will be the same. Raider XL is likely not better in that regard. For the others I listed, most of the cage is part of the body that can be removed like any pure lexan body, AFAICS.
So this should be pretty easy to work on? Looks really cool.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOS03003

Or this!

http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a.../SC10B/RS_RTR/

Last edited by truggy1973; 01-04-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Threads on R/C Tech:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...cb-thread.html (Note that a new edition appeared just recently, so much of that thread refers to the previous version, with a brushed motor, if I recall correctly.)
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ace-buggy.html

Good chances you can find unboxing/first-look or even review videos on Youtube.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Guy at the LHS told me today that scale buggies with built-in roll cages can be a real pain to work on. You guys think this is true?
So this should be pretty easy to work on? Looks really cool.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOS03003

Or this!

http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a.../SC10B/RS_RTR/
I have a few Losi SCB's, the cage is part of the body, so whenever you take the body off, the cage is out of the way. The rest of it is just a SCT with a narrow chassis. I have the older versions and the only issue I had with them (and the rtr xxx-sct) was with the ball cups on the steering turnbuckles, they tended to pop, a lot. Easy fix though, just use RPM, or the higher grade losi ones, or even captured ends. As far as handling goes, I race both SCT and 2wd buggy, but whenever we just go out to mess around in the dirt somewhere, I almost always just bring the SCBs with me. I just find them to be a blast to drive