R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The xb 4 is the most popular wheeler at my track. People shy away from them because of the price. The buggy is not cheap , and the parts are not cheap when you compare them to other cars . Here is the catch though , your really are getting a better built product. My 22-4 has broken more parts in 3 battery packs , than my xb4 did in a whole season. You just will not find yourself buying as many parts as you think you are going to. I bought the 22-4 to run indoors on the little track and try it out . I like the idea of belts , shorty packs , and ball diffs, but it needs parts everytime I run it.

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamJammin! View Post
The hobby shop at the track carries parts for the B44.3, Schumaker K1, TLR 22-4. As several people mentioned the belt enclosure is a real pain. leaning towards the B44.3 or the X-ray. With the B44, I read that the major items to replace immediately are the front and rear arms. Get the ones made by RPM. Much more durable. X-Ray is a bit more expensive, looks solid, but just wondering why no one at the track is racing this bug.
Its $$$ for chewed up gears but otherwise durable maybe not as agile as a b44 but its pretty darn close. The new 15 kit for the xray would have the gears covered though.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I love my Kyosho ZX6. Its consistently fast and dependable. More costly then most of the others but worth it.
tmaxx26power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawner85 View Post
Americans probably think they're fragile because they are.... they go almost as fast as 1/8th scale and they are a fraction the size... If you don't think they're frail you need to quit babying your buggy around the corners lol (all in good fun, don't take offence)
So what you are saying is that American's are no good at going around corners?
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawner85 View Post
Americans probably think they're fragile because they are.... they go almost as fast as 1/8th scale and they are a fraction the size... If you don't think they're frail you need to quit babying your buggy around the corners lol (all in good fun, don't take offence)
none taken. i just don't see why you (Americans) think they are more fragile than a 2wd?
My xray XB4 was a tank, and my Bmax 4iii now is solid. sure AE B44.x front wishbones are weak, but other brands are solid. Trust me the concrete and brick built track markers we have on our astro tracks are very solid, plus one of our tracks is astro on top of concrete, with concrete shaped transitions/tabletops with a brick paved corner. we also use 4" flexible ducting for track markings. all will rip a corner off a buggy at speed. We always run mod, 2wd or 4wd, so everying gets a beating.
We don't baby anything round. I guess if one is used to 17.5 2wd (in terms of power and running costs) then a 4wd with a 5.5 seems a massive jump.

Last edited by neallewis; 12-29-2014 at 05:57 PM.
neallewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

So far my 22-4 has been very dependable.I to was scared of the belt drive but as long as you set the slipper and diffs correctly its a durable car.only thing I've broken was a bellcrank but they make an aluminum one if it becomes a problem.
Amain Hobbies
Fioroni usa
xxxntwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I've had real good luck with my Durango dex408 v4. So many options it can get confusing if you don't know what everything does. Lol but in the end, I think choosing any vehicle has a lot to do with preference and part availability. They are all pretty good.
Evildime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Seen losi buggies break on normal landings. One broke a shock tower and two have broken front arms buy small cartwheels. I've broken arms and shock shafts on my older 44's but so far the new 44.3 has been good to me.

Everything is going to break, just get the buggy you like and the one that has parts availability at your LHS.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #24
Tech Master

I've took some pretty bad hits and landed several jumps wrong and have had good luck so far.any of these cars if you abuse them are going to break.you constantly hit the pipe or other cars they are going to break plain and simple.just pick which one has the best parts support at the track.leaving early because of breakage is never fun.
Amain Hobbies
Fioroni usa
Old 12-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There were two Schumachers up front last Friday night at my local track. They were impressive although I am sure those drivers could wheel any of the buggies around.
Pipe Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
none taken. i just don't see why you (Americans) think they are more fragile than a 2wd?
My xray XB4 was a tank, and my Bmax 4iii now is solid. sure AE B44.x front wishbones are weak, but other brands are solid. Trust me the concrete and brick built track markers we have on our astro tracks are very solid, plus one of our tracks is astro on top of concrete, with concrete shaped transitions/tabletops with a brick paved corner. we also use 4" flexible ducting for track markings. all will rip a corner off a buggy at speed. We always run mod, 2wd or 4wd, so everying gets a beating.
We don't baby anything round. I guess if one is used to 17.5 2wd (in terms of power and running costs) then a 4wd with a 5.5 seems a massive jump.
The 4wd buggies were scaring me as a marshall. They flat out haul the mail and the triples that they are capable of landing are amazing. I am pretty sure that's why they are perceived to be more fragile: they are capable of massive air so they are subjected to more severe forces when it goes wrong. 2wd just can't get the run needed to make the massive gaps.
Pipe Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipe Killer View Post
The 4wd buggies were scaring me as a marshall. They flat out haul the mail and the triples that they are capable of landing are amazing. I am pretty sure that's why they are perceived to be more fragile: they are capable of massive air so they are subjected to more severe forces when it goes wrong. 2wd just can't get the run needed to make the massive gaps.
Fair enough. i guess general average club driver level skill is just lower, so the jump up to 4wd mod is a big one from 2wd 17.5 stock? I guess 4wd is a bit much for smaller indoor clay tracks? I know a small indoor club i run at often is too small for 4wd mod.

Here in UK we have 2wd mod doing the same laptimes now as 4wd mod, with motor forward cars like Schumacher KF on Astro. They literally drive like 4wd, lighter and every bit as fast.
neallewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:13 AM   #28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Dont know about the guys breaking the 22-4 ??? Ive raced mine close to a year now and in that time broken 4 front arms 2 of the original hingepins and finally 1 front belt let go just recently . Nothing else has broken . Super reliable car imho
gogi108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:11 AM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogi108 View Post
Dont know about the guys breaking the 22-4 ??? Ive raced mine close to a year now and in that time broken 4 front arms 2 of the original hingepins and finally 1 front belt let go just recently . Nothing else has broken . Super reliable car imho
The guys breaking the 22-4 would most likely break any car in a short period of time.people have to remember these cars are meant to be raced not crashed.
Amain Hobbies
Fioroni usa
Old 12-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogi108 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxntwv View Post
The guys breaking the 22-4 would most likely break any car in a short period of time.people have to remember these cars are meant to be raced not crashed.
I personally don't consider this to be "reliable" or "durable". I dont think a hinge pin or a belt should ever be a failure. The pin failure is just an example of weaker design and/ or part . The belt is the same thing. How can a sc10 4x4, which weighs more and uses more power not break belts , but this tiny little buggy does ? I can accept arm failures , even though I had never had one before the 22-4. You cant always keep that other driver out of your space, those are usually the hardest hits I have had.

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote