Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Vintage Turbo Inferno vs new low end buggy? >

Vintage Turbo Inferno vs new low end buggy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vintage Turbo Inferno vs new low end buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Vintage Turbo Inferno vs new low end buggy?

Hey all, I'm getting back into the hobby after a nearly 20 year hiatus. I've already gotten my old Traxxas TRX-1 running again and now I'm trying to decide what to do with my old Kyosho Turbo Inferno from the mid 1990's.

I want a 1/8 4wd buggy, but I don't want to mess with nitro again. So my choices are to either rehab the Turbo Inferno and convert it to brushless or sell the Inferno and get a low end new brushless buggy.

According to the manufacturers, the brushless conversion kits for Infernos aren't compatible with the Turbo Inferno, so a conversion might be a bit of a hassle.

So my basic question is how does the Turbo Inferno compare to the new low end brushless buggies like the Ofna Ultra LX2e, Ofna Hyper SSE, Duratrax 835e, or even the Kyosho DBX (I know it's not really a 1/8th buggy, but I like the thought of it)? Does anybody have any idea?

I'm assuming it would be a little cheaper to convert the Inferno than to buy a new buggy, but I don't have any clue as to how much I could get by selling the Turbo Inferno.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

-Stephen
Old 12-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If you actually plan on racing; get a newer pro-level platform as a lightly used roller.

I will say the Duratrax 835 with a few option parts drives shockingly well.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Oh, I should have mentioned that this will be almost entirely for bashing as my town no longer has any RC tracks. Back when I was running my Turbo Inferno, I don't think I broke a single part, so I was pretty impressed with its durability. I don't know what 20 years has done to the plastic, though.

-Stephen
Old 12-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I suspect that parts might be hard to come by for a buggy that old, and It might be worth something to a collector. I would sell or trade it for a newer buggy. I bet a used ae rc8 roller could be had for cheap, and you don't have to worry about parts support.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Seen some really cheap used rollers up for grabs. I would look to find someone's mbx7e roller they are selling as many are now upgrading to the mbx7re. The mbx7e is still a fantastic buggy that is not very old and drives great.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mblgjr
If you actually plan on racing; get a newer pro-level platform as a lightly used roller.

I will say the Duratrax 835 with a few option parts drives shockingly well.
Do not get the Duratrax. The guys in that tread are crying about parts support.

A used RC8.2e be a good buy. A lot out there, long in the tooth and about to be replaced but parts are super plentiful and very durable. Get an aluminum or after market rear chassis brace and it should be indestructible.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Devin
Do not get the Duratrax. The guys in that tread are crying about parts support.

A used RC8.2e be a good buy. A lot out there, long in the tooth and about to be replaced but parts are super plentiful and very durable. Get an aluminum or after market rear chassis brace and it should be indestructible.
Sorry but I think the plastic is by far the best. I know of many folks who have broken the alloy rear brace, myself included and went back to plastic and it's much better. But otherwise it's an awesome buggy, I'm running the v4 chassis now and it's a super quick buggy