Have any one tried the ultimate nano tech

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 07:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default Have any one tried the ultimate nano tech

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=62995

Higher constant C discharge compared to the a-spec

However, I see a lower charge rate of 2c. The description does say some batteries are up to 15c charge. So I'm a little confused on that.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by teeforb
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=62995

Higher constant C discharge compared to the a-spec

However, I see a lower charge rate of 2c. The description does say some batteries are up to 15c charge. So I'm a little confused on that.
2c, that means you can charge them at 15A, isn't that enough?
Old 12-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Drerc
2c, that means you can charge them at 15A, isn't that enough?
No it's not. I charge all my nano tech at 40A
Old 12-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I've run both the A-Spec and Ultimates. I see no real difference between them...

In reply to charging rates, why do you need to charge them so fast? I balance charge all of my lipos at 1C and have more than enough time between heats for them to charge. Charging over 1C is just a waste and risks damaging the battery no matter what the maximum charge rate is.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hackersmovie
I've run both the A-Spec and Ultimates. I see no real difference between them...

In reply to charging rates, why do you need to charge them so fast? I balance charge all of my lipos at 1C and have more than enough time between heats for them to charge. Charging over 1C is just a waste and risks damaging the battery no matter what the maximum charge rate is.
Not true at all. I have been charging at 40A for the past few years. Company wouldn't put a 10C charge if it wasn't safe.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Not true at all. I have been charging at 40A for the past few years. Company wouldn't put a 10C charge if it wasn't safe.
let me lurn ya something bout batteries...

The lithium crystals in our lipo batteries break when they expand and contract. This causes the battery to loose capacity. The more crystals you break, the less capacity you have.

Heat causes the batteries to expand and contract, thus breaking those fragile little crystals.

Heat is generated when an electrical current passes through a resistive load. The more current you pass through a given load, the more heat it generates.

Our lipo batteries have an inherent resistance to them. When current passes through them, they will generate heat.

So when you hit your battery with a continuous 40A charge, you are heating the battery, causing it to expand, breaking those poor little crystals, and thus loosing capacity.

A company will put anything on their label if it will get people to buy it. It doesn't even have to be true!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I didn't say anything about safe, I said it was a WASTE. Not needed. Not necessary.

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
let me lurn ya something bout batteries...

The lithium crystals in our lipo batteries break when they expand and contract. This causes the battery to loose capacity. The more crystals you break, the less capacity you have.

Heat causes the batteries to expand and contract, thus breaking those fragile little crystals.

Heat is generated when an electrical current passes through a resistive load. The more current you pass through a given load, the more heat it generates.

Our lipo batteries have an inherent resistance to them. When current passes through them, they will generate heat.

So when you hit your battery with a continuous 40A charge, you are heating the battery, causing it to expand, breaking those poor little crystals, and thus loosing capacity.

A company will put anything on their label if it will get people to buy it. It doesn't even have to be true!
I don't know about crystals but, heat from either charging or discharging is bad for any battery, especially lipos.

I also know that lipos are way more sensitive to charging than they are to discharging, this is why you hear of lipos burning up far more from charging then while in the vehicle running.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

40A charge rates. Why are YOU doing it? I know why oval guys are doing it, as well as some high level stock off road racers across the country. But is the stock racing in your area so competitive that you have to charge at 40A to keep up?

The guys I know and here about who charge at 40A (also discharging prior to charging to increase temp, aka lower resistance) are also replacing their packs every 2-3 weeks. For obvious reasons.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

I've chaged the same packs at 40c for over a year. Racing weekly. No puff what so ever. Howeve, I only charge at 4.18v per cell. My shorty packs, I charge at 34A. No puffing what so ever. I'm going on 3 years charging like this. Hardly anydegrade of all my packs.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've chaged the same packs at 40c for over a year. Racing weekly. No puff what so ever. Howeve, I only charge at 4.18v per cell. My shorty packs, I charge at 34A. No puffing what so ever. I'm going on 3 years charging like this. Hardly anydegrade of all my packs.
40c charge is the most ridiclous thing I have ever heard, 2c is plenty you must not have a big turnout at your track if you have to charge a lipo that fast
Old 12-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I've chaged the same packs at 40c for over a year. Racing weekly. .
40A or 40c? Either way, not necessary at best, dangerous at worst. Stop doing it.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

Not 40c. 40A. Typo
Old 12-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

It's neccesaary for me for various reasons. One, I dont have to charge at home anymore. My lipos take 10 mins to charge. This means I don't risk burning my house down. 2) less lipos I need to keep. Why? Because I can charge faster. Which is more safe. Less lipos, less chance of fire.

As far as fires, it doesn't matter what rate you charge at, lipo fires happen. Most chargers are 5/10amp chargers. Most likely those are the ones that catch fire. I had various email exchanges with revoletrix. Those are experts at charging. American company. They have no issues with charging at 40a.

As far as heat and crystals. The lipo gets far hotter running it in an SC than charging at 40A. My lipos are around 90 deg F after a full charge at 40A.

You all have no scientific proof that charging at 40A is bad.

What's more dangerous is discharging further than recommended or even charge and storing at max voltage.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Most of the stock guys do it. Its not that dangerous if you got a decent charger which can detect if things are going to blow . I have done it, just let the batteries cool after a run and then in a ventilated area charge em at 40. Takes like 4 min for a shorty to be ready. It makes a difference in 17.5 if the batts are warm right before the heat. 13.5 (which I now run) or mod not so much. Tech allows like 10F above ambient which is good enough for more punch.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

... duplicate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.