Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bump ups: Good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have 3. But I could get away with 2. I have measured the MAH draw per race (17.5) and my 4600/90C still has 3000+ after every race, so technically I could slip 2 races per charge. Would not be peak voltage though.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Some tracks have triples you can make at the begging of a run but not at the end (17.5). You don't run Stock buggy without a fully charged pack, not at any of my tracks anyway.

Any spec class is like that, off-road/on-road, doesn't matter.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I personally don't like bumps.

At my track, we run 1 through 8 in the A. If you qualified 9th, you're actually the B-Q. The problem with this setup, is that now everybody in the Bmain feels they have ONE LAST CHANCE to make into the A. I can't can't how many times the top one or two guys in the B main get completely hacked on purpose, so the guy that qualified 11 or 12 can actually get into the A.

B-mains are usually a hack-fest for a reason... and I think bumps are why. If you qualified 9th, you should be 9th on the starting grid for the show. You shoudn't be put in front of a pile of other guys that are just as fast as you, just not as consistent... which spells disaster as they all try and drive even more crazy, to make the A. It puts 9th and 10th at a distinct disadvantage if 11th and 12th tend to be a little pushy with the nose of their car.

On the FLIP side... I raced a big race a few years ago. I did NOT do well in my first qualifier. I got hacked, made a bobble, finished terrible. FAR worse than where I typically would have. My second qualifier, I put my car down on the track, and one of my front wheels was binding at lock... so I couldn't even run my second qualifier. Long story short, I started the mains in the E main maybe? I bumped to the D, then the C, then into the B.... finished somewhere in the middle. I just couldn't get my self up to the front of the pack to bump again.

So you need to ask yourself.. in THAT situation, is it fair I was given, what is in essence.. a THIRD qualifier by being allowed to bump through the entire stack of mains? The fact that I screwed up my driving in my first qualifier, and then screwed up the mechanics of my car for the second, should have sent me down to the bottom main for the day... but it didn't. The guy I out finished in the B main (whatever position that was), not only drove better in qual1, but also didn't screw his car up in qual2. I don't think I should have been able to race against him from 2 or 3 quals lower.

I'm so conflicted
Old 12-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Brandon, it's the race directors discretion (heck even duty) to restart the race if the first lap or two isn't somewhat clean. This has been pushed here for the last couple of years and has really helped out. If they can't get it right the first or 2nd time, somebody probably needs to sit out! Could refer to IFMAR WC rules on false starts if you want to get all Puritan on some of that.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:56 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
And many now only have ONE battery per car. Unless you have enough other mains to put between the bump class you're screwed. You still have to have time to charge the one pack. Lipos don't necessarily help in this case.

Obviously I do love them though.
My Icharger at 30 amps can fill a half used battery in mere minutes. Any track running bumps WILL have enough time between the races to accommodate people bumping.

Even last race for 1/8th scale, I bumped up, and had time to change a clutch.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Mason
Brandon, it's the race directors discretion (heck even duty) to restart the race if the first lap or two isn't somewhat clean. This has been pushed here for the last couple of years and has really helped out. If they can't get it right the first or 2nd time, somebody probably needs to sit out! Could refer to IFMAR WC rules on false starts if you want to get all Puritan on some of that.
Oh I know.. and I agree. But they can't see it all, and they will never restart a race after the first lap. The hacking isn't necessarily on the first few corners.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

I can see bumping the winner of the lower main, but not the first loser (2nd place). And if winning the lower main qualifies you for the upper main, you should not get the lower main first place trophy (unless they refuse the bump option). I think it should be be qualify 10 and the bump makes 11 cars.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Scrubb
I can see bumping the winner of the lower main, but not the first loser (2nd place). And if winning the lower main qualifies you for the upper main, you should not get the lower main first place trophy (unless they refuse the bump option). I think it should be be qualify 10 and the bump makes 11 cars.
Lower main trophy?
Old 12-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by shagino
True, that's why I have mixed feelings about it. I do feel like qualifying should mean something though.

We all have bad breaks or bad runs and bump ups are a nice way for that not to ruin your day.

I just think it's funny when a local fast guy walks out with like 5 trophies for the various mains.
He shouldn't be walking out with the trophies, when there are bumps they are like "last chance qualifiers" so if he finishes in a bump position he is now in the next main. If chosen not to race the next main. No problem he gets last place in that main. The trophies should start with first person who missed the bump.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Don't forget about nitro, since many tracks run both. Where in nitro the reward for making the amain is huge. A 15 or 20min b-main is nothing like the 45min Amain.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Just saying as a counter point. Some guy managed to run better qualifiers then you, potentially up to 4 of them, but at least 2 and made it to the B, but you negated potentially days of their practice and qualifying because of bumps.

You are right, without bumps, your qualfiers would have determined how you qualified...with bumps, they did not. I can see why you would like them, but for every good story of someone who worked his way up through them, is someone who qualified better that lost their chance. Yes, you beat that person in the B, but again, they beat you in all of the qualifiers. Not taking anything away from your accomplishment, its not easy to bump that many mains, but your 3 mains to get to the A negated everyone elses 4 qualifiers that they ran better then you. That doesn't seem fair somehow.

It is what it is, just my personal opinion is different from yours.
If you're traveling to an event that advertises bumps and locking in the top 8, then it's not taking anything away from anyone. That's the format everyone is racing in.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like it myself cause I have had races where I broke in every heat but got to bump a few times before I broke again. I got to watch Drake bump from like the H main all the way to the B at a practice race cause his plane was late and he never made a heat. Everyone was cheering him on but he broke in the B. Lol
Old 12-18-2014, 07:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Oh I know.. and I agree. But they can't see it all, and they will never restart a race after the first lap. The hacking isn't necessarily on the first few corners.
Sorry to hear this. I've seen races restarted after lap 2 and if i'm not mistaken at the state level. Then also threatened to cancel that race and move on to the next heat. Some of this due to track layout/size. Education starts at the bottom though!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At major races I have attended , once the first lap was recorded then it would not be stopped (except for emergencies).

Restarts would only be if over half the cars crashed in the first turn. Anything after that you need to be good at slicing and dicing :-)
Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Bump ups are great. They make the race exciting for the racers and spectators. With out bump ups what is the point of a lower main? It's nice to have something to strive for. The last race I was at from about 4th in the A-Main to the Last in the B-Main (About 20 spots) the separation was only a few seconds. I personally was in the 10th spot in the A and B-Q was only .02 seconds behind me. With the talent that close I don't see how bumping someone from the lower mains hurts anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.