Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree104Likes

Yokomo YZ-4

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 12:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello guys considering getting a YZ4. I like this touring style off road layout, but will be ok for dirt tracks? Belts and pulleys will work? Thanks
Old 12-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Tech Adept

It's a buggy... what do you think?

Originally Posted by EliasRou
Hello guys considering getting a YZ4. I like this touring style off road layout, but will be ok for dirt tracks? Belts and pulleys will work? Thanks
Old 12-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Tech Rookie

I think on dirt tracks with lots of dust there might be an issue how the belts and pulleys perform. Maybe my though is wrong. Have you try it?
Old 12-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

It's not the first time belts have been on a wheeler. I ran the MR4-BX many years ago on a clay/dirt track and never had a problem. As the owner of a YZ-4, I'm again not concerned (especially since I'm running on carpet now).
Old 12-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

I think on dirt tracks with lots of dust there might be an issue how the belts and pulleys perform. Maybe my though is wrong. Have you try it?
I ran a Schumacher K1 for a while and it's also a belt car. Never had any problems, but I did take the time to clean the pulleys once in a while to prevent excessive buildup. I would expect the Yokomo to be no different. Also, the body really does a good job sealing the interior from the elements. You should be fine even in very dusty environment.

Martin Paradis
Old 12-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I wouldn't worry about dirt/dusty track conditions effecting the belts. The belts are stout and deep. Thus if you go to the aluminum pulleys even better, as dirt and dust will tend to adhere less to hard anodized pulleys over plastic comp. pulleys. The aluminum pulleys will also promote cleaner belts, more so than plastic pulleys.

As others have sad really no reason to worry. It is a wheeler thus it will run on all track types and remember belts have been running in dirt for ages.

Yes it's a nice plus with the body fitting nice and snug.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys
Old 12-09-2015, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

What's the internal ratio of the YZ-4?
Old 12-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
What's the internal ratio of the YZ-4?
Old 12-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Do you guys think yz4 excels bmax3 and if yes or no in which area. I haven't driven one yet but I believe the power and the transmission in general must be smoother than shaft cars. I would appreciate your experience and point of view.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've been waiting patiently to get My YZ-4 on the track and got my chance last night. Ok First things first, I ran practice and 3 heats and ran hard and crashed VERY hard a few times and did NOT break an arm. I had the stock front and rear arms on (not boiled) and it was a little chilly in the low 50's and was surprised I did not break a thing.
I did a back to back comparison with my B-max4 on a brand new layout on my local track (Cruzin RC raceway) which is pretty loose dirt (new layout) and not a lot of traction. I took My 2wd out first to learn the new layout, When I felt comfortable I took my Bmax4 out which is well tricked out and runs really well especially at this track. I ran for about 5-6 minutes with the bmax and was able to get a hot lap of 21.8. I then took the YZ4 out on the 2nd lap I ran a 21.7 I was only able to run for about 2-3 minutes before they shut the track down for racing but I was able to run a 21.6.
During racing we ran a qualifier and a 2 mains, and The car ran well, unfortunately the driver was not as good as the car! I did OK but kept hitting the pipe in 1 section an got stuck there for a couple of long laps. My hot Lap went down to a 21.3 during racing which is a 1/2 second faster than the Bmax4 was on an open track during practice. The hot laps for the faster guys were 20.6-20.8 but this was my first time on the track with a new car and these guys have run on the track before too. I had the lead in the 2nd main for about 4-5 laps, but hit "that" pipe and EVERYONE flew by, I was done after that I was frazzled and drove like crap for the rest of the race.
My overall impression is pretty much WOW, I loved the way the car steers, almost too much, it brakes so well, I think I need to get a little more forward traction and a little more side bite but thats all tires I think. I was impressed with the durability of the car, I took a few really really hard shots that would have crushed my Bmax and didn't break a thing. I also love the Belts it's so much quieter than the B-max!!! I always loved my belt drive YOK's!!! I can't wait to work on shock packages and do a couple of other things to the car that I think will make it better.
I'm wondering what shock springs you guys are running on dirt tracks? I'm using the Avid springs (red front and tried both yellow and white rear) as I think the Yok springs aren't great.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've always been a TLR guy but I'm considering this over the 22-4, does anyone have any experience with both? The track I run on is very high bite and the guys with the yz2s seem to love them
Old 12-10-2015, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Guys,

Need a favour - I race 4wd stock 17.5t in Australia its a reasonably popular class here. So weight is important. To compare the 4wd's on the market;

Could someone weigh there car - ideally as close to stock as possible with electronics and a shorty and body on.

Would be much appreciated? There is no prize for anyone who can post a reply the fastest. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MrLean
I've always been a TLR guy but I'm considering this over the 22-4, does anyone have any experience with both? The track I run on is very high bite and the guys with the yz2s seem to love them
I ran the 22-4 last year, almost put me off racing! To be fair to it, it was nice to drive, just isn't suited to the high grip tracks we have in the UK, it struggles to get the last half a second a lap out of it.

The YZ4, it's early days, I've only been to two meetings so far, but am loving it. Seems to drive somewhere between my '13 spec XB4 that I ditched the 22-4 to go back to & the Durango 410 I ran before that, which is probably the best car I've had.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Volition
Hi Guys,

Need a favour - I race 4wd stock 17.5t in Australia its a reasonably popular class here. So weight is important. To compare the 4wd's on the market;

Could someone weigh there car - ideally as close to stock as possible with electronics and a shorty and body on.

Would be much appreciated? There is no prize for anyone who can post a reply the fastest. Thanks.
What do you mean by that last sentence There is no prize for anyone who can post a reply the fastest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.