Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree29Likes

Old 08-27-2016, 03:14 AM   #1066
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
Yes the narrow belt is great. Drop the rear upper tensioner for a total of 1.5mm to 2mm works wonders.
Thanks Norse much appreciated
PENN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #1067
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENN01 View Post
Thanks Norse much appreciated
No problemo Penn. Make sure the rear belt tensioner located on the layshaft bullhead is at its loosest setting, thus being in the most downward position.

The rear narrow belt and pulleys is again really nice. I put two 1mm spacers under the rear belts top deck tensioner, thus lowering the it a tad and decreasing belt tension. Also set position all the way back (towards the layshaft). Nice thing with 2mm drop on the rear tensioner allows one to move the tension bearings forward a bit if needed upon belts stretching and more so nice for tuning per different types of track bite. Front belt can be run without the front top deck tensioner or if you prefer to keep it on install a .5mm to 1mm shim under thus raising it a tad. Obtaining a nice pinion to spur gear mesh helps greatly as well.

Have fun with your YZ4 friend.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #1068
Tech Adept

Quote:
No problemo Penn. Make sure the rear belt tensioner located on the layshaft bullhead is at its loosest setting, thus being in the most downward position.

The rear narrow belt and pulleys is again really nice. I put two 1mm spacers under the rear belts top deck tensioner, thus lowering the it a tad and decreasing belt tension. Also set position all the way back (towards the layshaft). Nice thing with 2mm drop on the rear tensioner allows one to move the tension bearings forward a bit if needed upon belts stretching and more so nice for tuning per different types of track bite. Front belt can be run without the front top deck tensioner or if you prefer to keep it on install a .5mm to 1mm shim under thus raising it a tad. Obtaining a nice pinion to spur gear mesh helps greatly as well.

Have fun with your YZ4 friend.
Thanks again Norse for all the great info ,I have only been in the hobby for a few years so still learning a lot but keen to get the most out of the car as i love driving it
Old 08-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #1069
Tech Master

No problemo my friend. Great hobby! I love running pack after pack after pack after pack and so on! as it's just to fun.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:55 AM   #1070
Tech Adept

Sorry Norse for being a pain and racking your brain but would you have any advice on springs for low to medium dirt track set up or is that a bit of a broad question ? All the changes i have made so far with oil weight ,Diff, weights etc.. has made a huge difference for traction but haven't played with springs yet
Old 08-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #1071
Tech Master

Quote:
Sorry Norse for being a pain and racking your brain but would you have any advice on springs for low to medium dirt track set up or is that a bit of a broad question ? All the changes i have made so far with oil weight ,Diff, weights etc.. has made a huge difference for traction but haven't played with springs yet
I like hard front springs thus the orange and soft in the rear thus green. VRP pistons are excellent as well.

No problem my friend as sharing the help others have shared with is what it's all about.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #1072
Tech Adept

Quote:
No problem my friend as sharing the help others have shared with is what it's all about.
Amen to that! That is the circle of life applied to RC. You start, you ask question, and when you get experienced, you share the knowledge

Martin Paradis
rhodopsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 PM   #1073
Tech Adept

Quote:
I like hard front springs thus the orange and soft in the rear thus green. VRP pistons are excellent as well.

Cool mate thanks again , I think thats one of the best things about this hobby with so many people like yourself Norse going out of there way to help
Old 08-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #1074
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodopsine View Post
Amen to that! That is the circle of life applied to RC. You start, you ask question, and when you get experienced, you share the knowledge

Martin Paradis
I agree 100 percent my friend. 😀👍
Old 08-31-2016, 01:42 PM   #1075
Tech Master

Quote:
Cool mate thanks again , I think thats one of the best things about this hobby with so many people like yourself Norse going out of there way to help
No problem Penn my friend. RC community really is great about helping others in the hobby. I think that's one reason the hobby is so great.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:25 AM   #1076
Tech Adept

Can some create a video on adjusting belts tension correctness
Aussie RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:11 AM   #1077
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to asalas

I second the video request
asalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #1078
Tech Adept

I looked on the internet but only found videos relating to on road belt tension. What I do, and I'm sure there are other/better way from doing it is this:

I come from the on road world.

What I had been taught is that you should tension the belt just enough so that it is not skipping under hard breaking or acceleration. Then, because one belt is longer than the other one and has a bigger stretch potential, you could make the longer belt slightly tighter to compensate if you feel that the front end (because the longer belt is to the front end...) is not quite in tune with the rear end when breaking or acceleration.

What I have been doing with my offroad belt cars (I previously owned Schumacher Cat SX3 and K1) is start with the same method, and then also look for belt skipping when landing after jumps. I also found that I had to redo the process once or twice after putting a new belt since it stretches a bit after a few uses. Also, I was taught to watch for wear on plastic pulleys since skipping belts will wear them quickly.

Hope it helps, even if it is not a video

Martin Paradis
rhodopsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:20 PM   #1079
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=rhodopsine;14659389]I looked on the internet but only found videos relating to on road belt tension. What I do, and I'm sure there are other/better way from doing it is this:

I come from the on road world.

What I had been taught is that you should tension the belt just enough so that it is not skipping under hard breaking or acceleration. Then, because one belt is longer than the other one and has a bigger stretch potential, you could make the longer belt slightly tighter to compensate if you feel that the front end (because the longer belt is to the front end...) is not quite in tune with the rear end when breaking or acceleration.

What I have been doing with my offroad belt cars (I previously owned Schumacher Cat SX3 and K1) is start with the same method, and then also look for belt skipping when landing after jumps. I also found that I had to redo the process once or twice after putting a new belt since it stretches a bit after a few uses. Also, I was taught to watch for wear on plastic pulleys since skipping belts will wear them quickly.

Hope it helps, even if it is not a video

Martin

I was thinking to get the belts to feel the same. I guess I will have to try your method next time I am at the track.
Thank you for your help

I still reckon there should be a video on belt tension for offroad adjustment. Someone from yokomo should create one.

Thanks
Aussie RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #1080
Tech Initiate

I need help with gearing 13.5 motor
Deerek761 is offline   Reply With Quote