Like Tree15Likes

Old 01-26-2016, 04:33 PM   #781
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to asalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL15 View Post
69/35 on mine works good comes off at 60 deg C after 7 to 8 mins

You won't fit smaller then a 34 cause you can't move motor over far enough.

You could use a 72 tooth though
Thanks DBL15, I'll play with your gearing combo.

Out of frustrtion I did a bit of googleing and found this website: http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/gear_calc.html
It helped me calculating the distance between the motor and the spur gear shafts and then determine what spur/pinion one could use. I'm just sharing it as it seems very useful.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #782
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Talking Carbon ones on the way

Quote:
Is anyone else having trouble with there shorty holders not holding the lipo in and allowing it to move during a run ?

I run my lipo across the back side ways but the lipo holder bracket tabs fold or bend and allow the lipo to move

Any thoughts ?
Hey Darren
Bezerk RC are making some in Carbon as we speak, sent him the drawing yesterday
Regards
Gary
Fantom Racing, JConcepts, Ace Hobbies/Reedy,
WTF, Plaig Bearings.
GSM Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #783
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Is anyone else having trouble with there shorty holders not holding the lipo in and allowing it to move during a run ?

I run my lipo across the back side ways but the lipo holder bracket tabs fold or bend and allow the lipo to move

Any thoughts ?
Same thing happened to me and nearly destroyed the whole car, battery came out off the holder moved forward causing the wires to wrap around the spur, lucky it didnt short circuit it would have fried everything. I also run my battery across the far back, definitely investing in the ones Bezerk make pauls work is awesome.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:01 AM   #784
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetburner View Post
I unscrewed the top deck , motor mount and layshaft and was able to reposition the motor mount to get the clearance . It really freed up the drivetrain . Thanks for your help .
No problem.
cracky1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #785
Tech Initiate

What's the running weight for this car? I know tires/foams will be a variable factor but just looking to see how it compares to a d413 & 44.3 I have a yz-2 and love how light it is and wanna sell my d413 & 44.3 for this car
Levelup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #786
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levelup View Post
What's the running weight for this car? I know tires/foams will be a variable factor but just looking to see how it compares to a d413 & 44.3 I have a yz-2 and love how light it is and wanna sell my d413 & 44.3 for this car
Mine turned out to be 1665g.
Piles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #787
Tech Adept

Default BATTERY ISSUE

what shorty or saddle packs are you guys using?

Whilst some people are having issues with batteries moving all over the place, I cannot fit my turnigy saddles. The clearance between the chassis plate and the top battery plate is 24mm approx. but my saddles are about 25.3 mm thick (I thought 25mm was kind of standard). Can one only use low profile batteries with this buggy? has anybody experienced something similar?

I removed the top battery plate and the saddles fit in well but there is nothing hodling them in place... so this is not an option.

Cheers
Old 01-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #788
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalas View Post

Whilst some people are having issues with batteries moving all over the place, I cannot fit my turnigy saddles. The clearance between the chassis plate and the top battery plate is 24mm approx. but my saddles are about 25.3 mm thick (I thought 25mm was kind of standard). Can one only use low profile batteries with this buggy? has anybody experienced something similar?

I removed the top battery plate and the saddles fit in well but there is nothing hodling them in place... so this is not an option.

Cheers
No issues fitting Vant Saddles.
Norse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #789
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetburner View Post
I unscrewed the top deck , motor mount and layshaft and was able to reposition the motor mount to get the clearance . It really freed up the drivetrain . Thanks for your help .
I had space between my motor and chassis. There does seem to be a little play side to side in the lay shaft, thus mine has a 1mm to 2mm gap.
Norse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #790
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:

Cheers
Maybe you can shim the topdeck up a few mm.

Serpent America/Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:36 PM   #791
Tech Regular

Quote:

Cheers
I use Vampire Racing shorties in mine, but have had the Vampire saddles in as well, just to make sure my wires would let me use them if I wanted to try them.

Both types fit ok with the top plate.

What is it that's stopping you from fitting the top plate with your saddles?
X-Factory UK / Carisma Racing/ Corally/ Vampire Racing /TEKIN/ AVID/ JConcepts / Lunsford / Exotek Racing / Hiro Seiko / RDRP / GRP Tyres/ Tuning Haus/ DMSPARTZ / McKune/ RCS Graphic Workz / WTF / DMS Racing / Model Junction
John Myall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:22 AM   #792
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

Cheers
Sorry I only just noticed this post. I run turnigys also, and have had to space the rear posts that hold the carbon battery retainer up by 1.5mm.
All fits in nicely now - Didnt have to do anything with the forward post.
Its just a case of putting a shim between the chassis and the battery posts on both sides.
I run shortys but Id guess saddles will be the same.

Last edited by Glarke; 01-29-2016 at 12:23 AM. Reason: clarification
Glarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:49 AM   #793
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glarke View Post
Sorry I only just noticed this post. I run turnigys also, and have had to space the rear posts that hold the carbon battery retainer up by 1.5mm.
All fits in nicely now - Didnt have to do anything with the forward post.
Its just a case of putting a shim between the chassis and the battery posts on both sides.
I run shortys but Id guess saddles will be the same.
Hi John Myall and Glarke,

So I worked out that the space between the chassis plate and the carbon battery retainer is 25.5mm approximately . My saddles go from 25 to 28mm (they are a bit puffed up), so fitting them in the car is very difficult. it is so tight that the battery retainer rips off the battery brand/model sticker every time I try fitting them in.

I tried adding a 1mm shim to the battery posts but then the left arm of the battery retainer plate is in direct contact with one of the bearings from the rear belt tensioner, jamming it. Glarke, does this happen to you after shimming the posts? It really doesn't stop the belt from moving but I don't like the idea of having that bearing static, they were put there to rotate as the belt runs.

I don't have shorties but a friend measured his turnigy ones and they are 27.1mm thick. I didn't really want to buy big brand batteries, I can buy 3 or 2hobbyking packs almost for the price of 1 from a bigger brand...

I'm discussing with Bezerk Rc about making a custom battery plate 2mm or even 1.6 mm thick.

Any thoughts guys? I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Thanks gents
asalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #794
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Hi John Myall and Glarke,

So I worked out that the space between the chassis plate and the carbon battery retainer is 25.5mm approximately . My saddles go from 25 to 28mm (they are a bit puffed up), so fitting them in the car is very difficult. it is so tight that the battery retainer rips off the battery brand/model sticker every time I try fitting them in.

I tried adding a 1mm shim to the battery posts but then the left arm of the battery retainer plate is in direct contact with one of the bearings from the rear belt tensioner, jamming it. Glarke, does this happen to you after shimming the posts? It really doesn't stop the belt from moving but I don't like the idea of having that bearing static, they were put there to rotate as the belt runs.

I don't have shorties but a friend measured his turnigy ones and they are 27.1mm thick. I didn't really want to buy big brand batteries, I can buy 3 or 2hobbyking packs almost for the price of 1 from a bigger brand...

I'm discussing with Bezerk Rc about making a custom battery plate 2mm or even 1.6 mm thick.

Any thoughts guys? I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Thanks gents
I have the rear battery mount posts shimmed up 2mm, as there was just too much flex in the hold-down with foam under it for my liking (over a 25mm+ shorty pack running off-set and parallel to the chassis). I still have a good 3-4mm between the hold-down and the rear tensioner bearings.

It's sounds like maybe the front post retainer screw is set too low, causing an uneven angle for you. iirc, it has a washer/shim between the screw and the post. Maybe try and increase that height and it should level the hold-down out a bit, allowing for the shimmed rear posts not to cause your current issue. Even just shimming the base of the front post up instead of the rear should solve the tensioner bearing problem.

As mine is now, I'm pretty sure I could shim all the posts up a lot more if I had to, and hold a 27-28+mm thick battery without any issues.

Last edited by Zarathrustra; 01-30-2016 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Clarity
Zarathrustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #795
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
SMC? I just measured my shorties (100C) and one edge (opposite the terminals) came out 25.08mm, anywhere else was 24.8x mm. Not suggesting you should have to go out and buy new packs, but other options exist with a good price-point. Specs say 25mm on the Turnigy packs too, but if they're consistently a couple mm off... On the other hand, puffed packs are a different problem.

As to a thinner hold-down - if you need a little more stiffness but more clearance, you might be able to make it narrower only at the ends (or double up on 1.6mm on top through the middle of the hold-down) if there's clearance. I don't have the car so can only look at the manual, but it seems unlikely it contributes to chassis stiffness significantly.
ccjd is offline   Reply With Quote