Like Tree17Likes

Old 12-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #556
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Hi all,

Put mine through its paces and have a couple of queries:

1. It's terrible on jumps - noses down all the time, and requires full throttle in the air to even keep it able to land... Is anyone else finding this? I have tried moving weight as far back as possible!?

2. Struggling for rear traction... Though more toe has improved this along with weight!

3. I see there is a LOT of play in the front arm inner mounts as the inserts move in the Ali mount... Anyone finding this a problem? I added 1.5mm spacer in front before the brace but now everything has slop! I see the team guys at the Worlds had a different front brace that clamped around the chassis.

Thanks,

Dave
#1.Put all belt tensioners to full loose settings but leave them on. Then run the snot out of the car. It really needs a race or two and you'll notice the drivetrain frees up a ton. Also use the 87 stock spur. And gear accordingly. I tried an 84 and it caused way to much drag and torque loss.
Remove any drag brake from your radio. These steps will solve your issue. You can free it up more by going to the narrow setup which is what I did.

#2 Make sure tire choice is correct. Then try a square pack that's what I run and it is hooked up. I like my cars a little heavier and settled feeling. This light crap is for AE fanboys that spend a ton of money on worthless mods. (I'm joking here don't flame AE guys). Or am I?????

#3 I haven't noticed this issue yet. But if I do get it first thing I'd do is glue the plastic inserts into the aluminum bulkhead. I had to do this when I ran Serpent cars they did this notoriously. When the plastic wears out just knock them out of the bulkhead and put new ones in.

Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #557
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

What motor are you keeping the 87 spur for? I went smaller for 13.5T.

Can anyone recommend gearing for 13.5?

For comparison sake, I'm running 69/30 in my 2wd 17.5 YZ-2.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:52 PM   #558
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr View Post

With a 13.5 in a 4wd buggy you will probably want an FDR (final drive ratio ) of 6.5 to 7. Thus divided the spur gear by pinion = ? Multiply by YZ4 internal gear ratio which I believe is 2.6 however someone will advise if I am wrong. This will give you the FDR.

EX: 87 divided by 20 = 4.35 multiply 2.6(IGR) = 11.31 which would be good for a 5.5

Again this could be off as I am not positive of the YZ4's internal gear ratio.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #559
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Does any body know what degrees are the standard front c-hubs, i was looking at aluminum ones but they come from 7.5 degrres to 15 degrees. Tia
Old 12-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #560
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV427 View Post
Does any body know what degrees are the standard front c-hubs, i was looking at aluminum ones but they come from 7.5 degrres to 15 degrees. Tia
I believe stock are 10 degree. The aluminum casters I believe your correct as they come in 8, 10, 12.5 and 15. I have the 8 degree aluminum and wish I would have gone up, thus to increase caster I popped in the -2.5 front hanger inserts which seemed to help.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:49 AM   #561
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:

6.5t motor. I wouldn't worry about the spur size, once you break it in and it frees up it should be ok with smaller spurs and higher turn motors. I just noticed the spur change effect when my car was breaking in quite a bit. If I change back to an 84 now with a much freer drivetrain it probably won't be as noticeable.

Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #562
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
With a 13.5 in a 4wd buggy you will probably want an FDR (final drive ratio ) of 6.5 to 7. Thus divided the spur gear by pinion = ? Multiply by YZ4 internal gear ratio which I believe is 2.6 however someone will advise if I am wrong. This will give you the FDR.

EX: 87 divided by 20 = 4.35 multiply 2.6(IGR) = 11.31 which would be good for a 5.5

Again this could be off as I am not positive of the YZ4's internal gear ratio.
Excellent...My instincts were right. 80/31 for a 6.71 FDR. Can't wait for Sunday! Darkside designs paint ready to go on the cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokomo YZ-4-blake1.jpg  

Old 12-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #563
Tech Apprentice

I'm running 78/28 on my 13.5 is that much different then 80/31?
jordan860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #564
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan860 View Post
I'm running 78/28 on my 13.5 is that much different then 80/31?
That would be 7.24 FDR so not too far off from what was recommended. It will vary from motor to motor and track to track so if it's working on the track...

Old 12-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #565
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
That would be 7.24 FDR so not too far off from what was recommended. It will vary from motor to motor and track to track so if it's working on the track...
Thanks for the reply. The only problem I'm having is it seems to top out half way down the straight. I guess I'll just have to keep playing with gearing.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #566
Tech Master

Quote:
Dr._hfuhuhurr is correct as recommended FDR can vary from motor to motor.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #567
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan860 View Post
Thanks for the reply. The only problem I'm having is it seems to top out half way down the straight. I guess I'll just have to keep playing with gearing.
You may want to go up ond tooth on your pinion gear.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #568
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antimullet View Post
#1.Put all belt tensioners to full loose settings but leave them on. Then run the snot out of the car. It really needs a race or two and you'll notice the drivetrain frees up a ton. Also use the 87 stock spur. And gear accordingly. I tried an 84 and it caused way to much drag and torque loss.
Remove any drag brake from your radio. These steps will solve your issue. You can free it up more by going to the narrow setup which is what I did.

#2 Make sure tire choice is correct. Then try a square pack that's what I run and it is hooked up. I like my cars a little heavier and settled feeling. This light crap is for AE fanboys that spend a ton of money on worthless mods. (I'm joking here don't flame AE guys). Or am I?????

#3 I haven't noticed this issue yet. But if I do get it first thing I'd do is glue the plastic inserts into the aluminum bulkhead. I had to do this when I ran Serpent cars they did this notoriously. When the plastic wears out just knock them out of the bulkhead and put new ones in.
+1 on the square pack. Saddle packs work great as well.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #569
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
You may want to go up ond tooth on your pinion gear.
I'm gonna try that next. After a 5 min heat it comes off @ 140 so I still have some room to go up on my pinion. Thanks
Old 12-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #570
Tech Master

I have noticed the front brace moves easily I glued a plastic shim on the inner side of the front bumper to keep the aluminum brace snug.

I think the front hanger could be redesigned thus to make the front solid as well as take stress off the front a arm barrels. Not a huge deal as with releasing new platforms providing total perfection from the start is almost impossible. Yokomo has done an amazing Job with the YZ4 and I believe they will design and produce improvements they feel necessary.