Like Tree485Likes

Yokomo YZ-2

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-11-2021, 01:35 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lexusbest
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1
  • Long specification for dirt Main chassis Inheriting the chassis cut of dirt specification, it is longer with the same wheelbase as CAL3.
  • Aluminum front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTM2B F2 body.
  • JConcepts ASTRO High Clearance 7inch Wing.
Features for the lastest specification YZ-2CAL3.1
  • Long specification main chassis for carpets. Long wheelbase that enables even higher speeds.
  • Steel front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTMBL S2 Lightweight body.
  • Z2-CAL2W LMR Wing.
Common features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1 / YZ-2CAL3.1
  • The conventional position and the position of the suspension arm pin 1 mm higher can be selected on the front and back of the front suspension mount.
  • Bulkhead integrated side plate with increased rigidity.
  • The kingpin position has been changed with the new steering hub carrier, the axle position has been lengthened by 1 mm, and a steering stopper has also been added.
  • Battery holder that is easy to adjust according to the height of the battery.
  • Separate the rear mount base and upper arm holder to increase the flex around the rear and improve traction.
  • Z2-018-5 5-hole shock mounting specification Rear shock tower.
  • S4-S1S 3.0mm shaft specification front shock.
  • S4-S1M 3.0mm shaft specification rear short shock.
  • S4-008R5B L5 / LD Rear suspension arm (Φ3.5 pin).
  • Z2-01069 Rear universal shaft (69mm bone).

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

YZ2T Tranny Conversion List

YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I
YOKZ2-0023

CAL3 manual
DTM3 manual

Print Wikipost

Old 12-18-2016, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Schumacher has great titanium turnbuckles priced nice which work great on the YZ4
Old 12-18-2016, 06:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MX304
Will the CA edition take a square pack, or is it shorty only?
That is one of the unique things about the yz is that it will fit shorty square or saddle.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gokarter64
That is one of the unique things about the yz is that it will fit shorty square or saddle.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2016, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Norse
Schumacher has great titanium turnbuckles priced nice which work great on the YZ4
Norse, I am assuming to just piece them together with the Schumacher?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/schumac...hu4299/p260355
Old 12-18-2016, 06:51 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Welp just finished building my CA, not too impressed with the build....

A lot of value in the box though that is for sure

Old 12-18-2016, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RobsRacin
Welp just finished building my CA, not too impressed with the build....

A lot of value in the box though that is for sure
What did you not like about it?
Old 12-18-2016, 07:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Norse
52mm are just fine my friend.
Thank you
Old 12-19-2016, 05:09 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by MX304
What did you not like about it?
I Felt like the plastics were really soft and I never got the feeling that I bottomed out a screw like on other kits, The heads on the screws also seemed pretty soft, and there is a small amount of play in the rear arms. I really like the design of all the components though. Only other downside is I cannot find a place to mount my 30 mm motor fan
Old 12-19-2016, 05:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Is this kit good for stock racing? I'm looking at the DT version. Any needs for upgrades or lightened parts such as aluminium drive shafts etc?
Old 12-19-2016, 11:00 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The car in general is already too light in most cases. This varies upon what electroncis you choose, etc.

Mine was 17g under with a Tekin RS Gen2, full sized KO servo and receiver, Protek 100c battery.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RobsRacin
I Felt like the plastics were really soft and I never got the feeling that I bottomed out a screw like on other kits, The heads on the screws also seemed pretty soft, and there is a small amount of play in the rear arms. I really like the design of all the components though. Only other downside is I cannot find a place to mount my 30 mm motor fan
This is news to me. I have 2 kits and they are among the best I've ever built.
Associated, (Pre & Post Thunder Tiger), Team Losi, TLR, Tamiya, HB, Hobby-Pro, Serpent, Bo-Link (yes I've been at this a while LOL), Kyosho, Durango and I put the Yokes right up there with the best of them. Of all the kits I've ever had the pleasure of building and running though, I'd have to say Durango is tops in every category. Precision unrivaled in my experience and the plastics ultra-rigid and maintain their form or snap and I find their robustness quite adequate.

The Yokomo is probably one of the more durable kits I've ever run which adds to it's appeal for me, but part of that is due to the plastics being rigid enough to keep them from snapping from the slightest taps. The only other car I've had this durable was my 410 even with the more rigid plastics. I plan on running Yoke for some time to come so long as parts support remains or grows and the price doesn't jump higher. There isn't a single"luxury" kit out there regardless of how hard some try to peddle their product and as such they shouldn't include a luxury tax. These are toy cars that go way faster than their parts can withstand in the event of an impact or odd landing and as such, certain parts are, or should be consumables with price points representative of that.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by the incubus
This is news to me. I have 2 kits and they are among the best I've ever built.
Associated, (Pre & Post Thunder Tiger), Team Losi, TLR, Tamiya, HB, Hobby-Pro, Serpent, Bo-Link (yes I've been at this a while LOL), Kyosho, Durango and I put the Yokes right up there with the best of them. Of all the kits I've ever had the pleasure of building and running though, I'd have to say Durango is tops in every category. Precision unrivaled in my experience and the plastics ultra-rigid and maintain their form or snap and I find their robustness quite adequate.

The Yokomo is probably one of the more durable kits I've ever run which adds to it's appeal for me, but part of that is due to the plastics being rigid enough to keep them from snapping from the slightest taps. The only other car I've had this durable was my 410 even with the more rigid plastics. I plan on running Yoke for some time to come so long as parts support remains or grows and the price doesn't jump higher. There isn't a single"luxury" kit out there regardless of how hard some try to peddle their product and as such they shouldn't include a luxury tax. These are toy cars that go way faster than their parts can withstand in the event of an impact or odd landing and as such, certain parts are, or should be consumables with price points representative of that.
Im not saying it was a bad build, but I nearly stripped out a few heads (Im using quality tools here too, MIP Thorp sets, both a new and 3 year old set), and none of the screws ever felt like they bottomed out and were where they certainly needed to be(Besides the trans case). The Xray cars I recently built all had definite feelings like the the screws had a definite stopping point, this yok however had me feeling like I could keep turning the screw, almost like a mystery if I am stripping out the plastics or not. The B6 and TLR cars felt the same way so I don't necessarily hold it against the yok. Just felt the Xray and Kyosho cars had a crisper feeling in the screw and plastic department. Besides the three things I mentioned, the build was great and the fit and finish is awesome(except for my rear arms). I've never seen a kit with so much Carbon Fiber and Aluminium included in the box.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I dunno, but could the threads on the screws you received maybe be a bit shallower than normal?

If you have screws from other manufacturers maybe you can try it to see if it bites properly? Personally I think manufactures should make the screw holes slightly tapered to allow the initial threading of screws without having to muscle them in, but taper inward considerably so they almost squeak as they turn in.

One thing I started doing a few years back was use an electric driver to start threading screws because I find the speed creates more heat as they turn in and the threads cut into plastics feel a bit more solid. I turn them almost all the way down and tighten all by hand so I can physically feel them bottom out. I haven't built a TLR kit since the original 22 but I found my screws definitely turned in firmly and they most definitely bottomed out. So much so they literally SNAP when I'd have to remove them.

As for the screws feeling "soft" as though they might strip out, again, I haven't encountered this issue on my 2 its, but I have the original YZ-2 so IDK if the new kits are shipping with lesser grade screws. MIP Tools are as good as it gets and I have Hobby-Pro allen drivers and with the exception of the 1.5 tip which rounded out on me almost immediately (every brand 1.5 driver with the exception of MIP has done the same) have a precision fit in screw heads and I have not had any screw strip on my YZ's.

The only things that have failed on mine are the ballcups which pop off if you sneeze at them after they pop off, and the bell crank bearings on my backup car seem to have imploded in no time. My main YZ is still perfect there so maybe the bearings on the other one was a fluke.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
The car in general is already too light in most cases. This varies upon what electroncis you choose, etc.

Mine was 17g under with a Tekin RS Gen2, full sized KO servo and receiver, Protek 100c battery.
thx, I also mean lightened drive shafts, although I see in spec the top shaft is already aluminum which is good. Also after market slipper eliminators? Anything that helps reduce rotating mass
Old 12-23-2016, 07:17 AM
Regional Moderator

DRove the car for the first time on Wednesday and it was crazy good. Did everything I wanted but it kept wanting to flip in one spot of our track. It's a jump and the end of the lander is a 90 degree corner and I can't land and try to accelerate hard or else it will flip over. I believe the car is too soft and is bouncing too much. The track is high grip Astro

So what pistons fit this? My LHS had AE pistons in stock, will they fit?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.