Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree485Likes

Yokomo YZ-2

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-11-2021, 01:35 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lexusbest
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1
  • Long specification for dirt Main chassis Inheriting the chassis cut of dirt specification, it is longer with the same wheelbase as CAL3.
  • Aluminum front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTM2B F2 body.
  • JConcepts ASTRO High Clearance 7inch Wing.
Features for the lastest specification YZ-2CAL3.1
  • Long specification main chassis for carpets. Long wheelbase that enables even higher speeds.
  • Steel front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTMBL S2 Lightweight body.
  • Z2-CAL2W LMR Wing.
Common features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1 / YZ-2CAL3.1
  • The conventional position and the position of the suspension arm pin 1 mm higher can be selected on the front and back of the front suspension mount.
  • Bulkhead integrated side plate with increased rigidity.
  • The kingpin position has been changed with the new steering hub carrier, the axle position has been lengthened by 1 mm, and a steering stopper has also been added.
  • Battery holder that is easy to adjust according to the height of the battery.
  • Separate the rear mount base and upper arm holder to increase the flex around the rear and improve traction.
  • Z2-018-5 5-hole shock mounting specification Rear shock tower.
  • S4-S1S 3.0mm shaft specification front shock.
  • S4-S1M 3.0mm shaft specification rear short shock.
  • S4-008R5B L5 / LD Rear suspension arm (Φ3.5 pin).
  • Z2-01069 Rear universal shaft (69mm bone).

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

YZ2T Tranny Conversion List

YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I
YOKZ2-0023

CAL3 manual
DTM3 manual

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 02:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Here is my Y-Max2
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo YZ-2-20150814_103456_resized.jpg  
Old 08-18-2015, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by largoo
Here is my Y-Max2
Very Nice! How do you like the way it handles?
Old 08-18-2015, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Could someone please post the part numbers for the conversion. I just assembled my car and will be running it on med bite clay topsoil mix hardpacked. I would like to go prepared. Thanks
Old 08-18-2015, 09:39 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You will need some custom parts to do the Y-max conversion. I have it on good authority that Factory Rc is already working on the conversion with a custom battery strap, rear shock tower and spacer, spacer for the waterfall and trans, as well as a drill template.

If you don't have a Bmax donor, you really need the trans and motor plate, waterfall and waterfall lower, battery brace hinge pin, and assorted hardware.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Petit RC has a updated Thread based on the OOPLE article for the conversion.

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/yokomo/...thBMaxRearEnd/

SO, the great Debate....

YZ-2 with BMAX Rear

OR

BMAX2/3 with YZ Front

MOmo
Old 08-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

I ran my conversion which has the custom yz2 shock tower from fibrelyte like the oople thread so same hole positions as a std YZ compared to the bmax tower at the weekend - the track was soaking wet astro in the morning with sandy sections and my friends were running the normal yz2 apart from one other who'd converted his to bmax rear end with bmax tower

In the wet the car was great to drive, had plenty of steering without overpowering the rear and traction as expected was far superior to the std yz2. I'm not the gentlest on the throttle at the best of times and I've hated the YZ in low grip all year but I could happily rag this car round

The other guy found his car a handful but I put that down to the tower as the hole positions are a lot different and his car was hard to drive (he went back to the YZ std car with shocks on rear instead)

For my second practice I changed to Schumacher yellow spikes as track was drying out and the car was to locked in the rear (I was running 4 deg rear toe in which is what we run outdoors for the yz2 as any less means we have no traction)

Because the car was locked in and it was a regional I changed back to std rear end (10 minutes to swap) and worked on that for rest of day as track was now dry but still sandy.

I'm going to go and test the bmax rear end next Tuesday at my local track and work on evolving a setup that works (def less rear toe in and possibly a spring change) but I think on med to low grip there's a definite possibility this is a good option all round. As were at the end of summer in the UK our traditional wet winter will be a great test to get it right for next year.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Traction is mostly all about weight distribution. The YZ-2 out of the box has 60/40 for distribution. This makes it very good on high bite tracks as it has great steering and corner speed. When you race on medium or low bite tracks then it suffers from lack os traction.

I race on a track that is low to low/medium bite and have spent allot of time with the YZ-2. I increased the weight of the car as it's a very light car and on lower bite tracks a heavier car will be better in my opinion. I use 2 of the SMC battery compartment weight plates. This adds 60gr and I put them all the way in the back of the tray. I had a machinist make me a rear front brass pivot block that fills up the room between the transmission and the motor. I also replaced the L brace in front of the motor plate with another brass piece. My car now weighs 1619gr without the body and it has changed the weight distribution to 62/38 and the car is more stable with more rear traction. I'm also using the wider Bmax4iii rear arms and use the inner hole on the arm for the shock. This setup gives better traction in my opinion. I plan on testing the ESC on the battery brace and I believe this would get me the same weight distribution as the YZ-2 with Bmax 3 transmission.

I also built a YZ-2 with the Bmax2 transmission and the weight distribution on that car is 64/36 and so far lap times are pretty much the same as the YZ-2 with brass parts. I will be at the track tomorrow to Saturday and plan on playing with both cars some more to try and determine if one is better than the other.

I think why Yokomo did the transmission modification was due to the track they ran on was hard packed and it was M3 handout holeshots so I assume traction was on the low side.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DS1969
Traction is mostly all about weight distribution. The YZ-2 out of the box has 60/40 for distribution. This makes it very good on high bite tracks as it has great steering and corner speed. When you race on medium or low bite tracks then it suffers from lack os traction.

I race on a track that is low to low/medium bite and have spent allot of time with the YZ-2. I increased the weight of the car as it's a very light car and on lower bite tracks a heavier car will be better in my opinion. I use 2 of the SMC battery compartment weight plates. This adds 60gr and I put them all the way in the back of the tray. I had a machinist make me a rear front brass pivot block that fills up the room between the transmission and the motor. I also replaced the L brace in front of the motor plate with another brass piece. My car now weighs 1619gr without the body and it has changed the weight distribution to 62/38 and the car is more stable with more rear traction. I'm also using the wider Bmax4iii rear arms and use the inner hole on the arm for the shock. This setup gives better traction in my opinion. I plan on testing the ESC on the battery brace and I believe this would get me the same weight distribution as the YZ-2 with Bmax 3 transmission.

I also built a YZ-2 with the Bmax2 transmission and the weight distribution on that car is 64/36 and so far lap times are pretty much the same as the YZ-2 with brass parts. I will be at the track tomorrow to Saturday and plan on playing with both cars some more to try and determine if one is better than the other.

I think why Yokomo did the transmission modification was due to the track they ran on was hard packed and it was M3 handout holeshots so I assume traction was on the low side.

This 62/38

Is 62 rear?
38 front?

Weight distribution?

And would this work the same for stock 17.5t class? I was in the belief that you want a lighter buggy in stock vs a heavy 1619gr mod buggy?

Thank for your time.
M
Old 08-19-2015, 09:21 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by brew99
But as a strick carpet/high bite machine, is it the "one to get"? Any additions needed or is it great out of the box?
It is great out of the box, but can be made even better. I am currently running the gullwing front parts, B-Max4III rear arms with B-Max2 driveshafts.

Feel free to read the machine translation of my review:
http://www.petitrc.com/setup/yokomo/...Schmidt_Review
or the German original:
http://www.rc-news.de/08/2015/im-tes...z-2-2wd-buggy/
Old 08-21-2015, 01:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Motorman007
This 62/38

Is 62 rear?
38 front?

Weight distribution?

And would this work the same for stock 17.5t class? I was in the belief that you want a lighter buggy in stock vs a heavy 1619gr mod buggy?

Thank for your time.
M
Yes 62% rear weight and 38% front weight. I forgot to mention I run mod. In stock you need to run the car light and it probably doesn't require more rear weight. If the car is a bit unstable in stock you may want to try and run the ESC on the battery brace. This will remove some front end weight and also add some roll for more traction.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DS1969
Yes 62% rear weight and 38% front weight. I forgot to mention I run mod. In stock you need to run the car light and it probably doesn't require more rear weight. If the car is a bit unstable in stock you may want to try and run the ESC on the battery brace. This will remove some front end weight and also add some roll for more traction.
Thank you sir
Old 08-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MOmo
Petit RC has a updated Thread based on the OOPLE article for the conversion.

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/yokomo/...thBMaxRearEnd/

SO, the great Debate....

YZ-2 with BMAX Rear

OR

BMAX2/3 with YZ Front

MOmo
Or bmax2 rear with bmax2 front <3
Old 08-22-2015, 10:20 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I was able to run my Y-Max and was quite impressed over my bmax right out of the gate. I bench raced some spring/piston/oils on the chassis and it was spot on. I plan to test more on this setup to see if I can get even more speed out of it. It has a lot more steering than my tweaked Bmax for sure, and carries over stability that others have not seen out of the Yz2.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anyone know of good servo mounts that have 4 holes to hold servo not really liking the stock setup
Old 08-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jim Hughes
anyone know of good servo mounts that have 4 holes to hold servo not really liking the stock setup

http://www.mibosport.com/aluminum-servo-mount-set-yz-2

Maybe two holes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.