R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-18-2017, 07:19 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Bob Barry
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

If you edit the page, please add your name and date prior to your addition. While an admin can view the history, this makes it easier for everyone to just check updates. We'll put the newest additions at the top

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

Print Wikipost

Like Tree102Likes

Old 08-18-2015, 03:00 AM   #1231
Tech Rookie

Here is my Y-Max2
Attached Thumbnails
Yokomo YZ-2-20150814_103456_resized.jpg  
largoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #1232
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by largoo View Post
Here is my Y-Max2
Very Nice! How do you like the way it handles?
Old 08-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #1233
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Could someone please post the part numbers for the conversion. I just assembled my car and will be running it on med bite clay topsoil mix hardpacked. I would like to go prepared. Thanks
Crazy Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #1234
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

You will need some custom parts to do the Y-max conversion. I have it on good authority that Factory Rc is already working on the conversion with a custom battery strap, rear shock tower and spacer, spacer for the waterfall and trans, as well as a drill template.

If you don't have a Bmax donor, you really need the trans and motor plate, waterfall and waterfall lower, battery brace hinge pin, and assorted hardware.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #1235
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Petit RC has a updated Thread based on the OOPLE article for the conversion.

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/yokomo/...thBMaxRearEnd/

SO, the great Debate....

YZ-2 with BMAX Rear

OR

BMAX2/3 with YZ Front

MOmo
"Im not a racer, but I play one on the Internet"
MOmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #1236
Tech Adept

I ran my conversion which has the custom yz2 shock tower from fibrelyte like the oople thread so same hole positions as a std YZ compared to the bmax tower at the weekend - the track was soaking wet astro in the morning with sandy sections and my friends were running the normal yz2 apart from one other who'd converted his to bmax rear end with bmax tower

In the wet the car was great to drive, had plenty of steering without overpowering the rear and traction as expected was far superior to the std yz2. I'm not the gentlest on the throttle at the best of times and I've hated the YZ in low grip all year but I could happily rag this car round

The other guy found his car a handful but I put that down to the tower as the hole positions are a lot different and his car was hard to drive (he went back to the YZ std car with shocks on rear instead)

For my second practice I changed to Schumacher yellow spikes as track was drying out and the car was to locked in the rear (I was running 4 deg rear toe in which is what we run outdoors for the yz2 as any less means we have no traction)

Because the car was locked in and it was a regional I changed back to std rear end (10 minutes to swap) and worked on that for rest of day as track was now dry but still sandy.

I'm going to go and test the bmax rear end next Tuesday at my local track and work on evolving a setup that works (def less rear toe in and possibly a spring change) but I think on med to low grip there's a definite possibility this is a good option all round. As were at the end of summer in the UK our traditional wet winter will be a great test to get it right for next year.
losi8lunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #1237
Tech Rookie

Traction is mostly all about weight distribution. The YZ-2 out of the box has 60/40 for distribution. This makes it very good on high bite tracks as it has great steering and corner speed. When you race on medium or low bite tracks then it suffers from lack os traction.

I race on a track that is low to low/medium bite and have spent allot of time with the YZ-2. I increased the weight of the car as it's a very light car and on lower bite tracks a heavier car will be better in my opinion. I use 2 of the SMC battery compartment weight plates. This adds 60gr and I put them all the way in the back of the tray. I had a machinist make me a rear front brass pivot block that fills up the room between the transmission and the motor. I also replaced the L brace in front of the motor plate with another brass piece. My car now weighs 1619gr without the body and it has changed the weight distribution to 62/38 and the car is more stable with more rear traction. I'm also using the wider Bmax4iii rear arms and use the inner hole on the arm for the shock. This setup gives better traction in my opinion. I plan on testing the ESC on the battery brace and I believe this would get me the same weight distribution as the YZ-2 with Bmax 3 transmission.

I also built a YZ-2 with the Bmax2 transmission and the weight distribution on that car is 64/36 and so far lap times are pretty much the same as the YZ-2 with brass parts. I will be at the track tomorrow to Saturday and plan on playing with both cars some more to try and determine if one is better than the other.

I think why Yokomo did the transmission modification was due to the track they ran on was hard packed and it was M3 handout holeshots so I assume traction was on the low side.
DS1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:27 AM   #1238
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS1969 View Post
Traction is mostly all about weight distribution. The YZ-2 out of the box has 60/40 for distribution. This makes it very good on high bite tracks as it has great steering and corner speed. When you race on medium or low bite tracks then it suffers from lack os traction.

I race on a track that is low to low/medium bite and have spent allot of time with the YZ-2. I increased the weight of the car as it's a very light car and on lower bite tracks a heavier car will be better in my opinion. I use 2 of the SMC battery compartment weight plates. This adds 60gr and I put them all the way in the back of the tray. I had a machinist make me a rear front brass pivot block that fills up the room between the transmission and the motor. I also replaced the L brace in front of the motor plate with another brass piece. My car now weighs 1619gr without the body and it has changed the weight distribution to 62/38 and the car is more stable with more rear traction. I'm also using the wider Bmax4iii rear arms and use the inner hole on the arm for the shock. This setup gives better traction in my opinion. I plan on testing the ESC on the battery brace and I believe this would get me the same weight distribution as the YZ-2 with Bmax 3 transmission.

I also built a YZ-2 with the Bmax2 transmission and the weight distribution on that car is 64/36 and so far lap times are pretty much the same as the YZ-2 with brass parts. I will be at the track tomorrow to Saturday and plan on playing with both cars some more to try and determine if one is better than the other.

I think why Yokomo did the transmission modification was due to the track they ran on was hard packed and it was M3 handout holeshots so I assume traction was on the low side.

This 62/38

Is 62 rear?
38 front?

Weight distribution?

And would this work the same for stock 17.5t class? I was in the belief that you want a lighter buggy in stock vs a heavy 1619gr mod buggy?

Thank for your time.
M
Old 08-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #1239
mes
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew99 View Post
But as a strick carpet/high bite machine, is it the "one to get"? Any additions needed or is it great out of the box?
It is great out of the box, but can be made even better. I am currently running the gullwing front parts, B-Max4III rear arms with B-Max2 driveshafts.

Feel free to read the machine translation of my review:
http://www.petitrc.com/setup/yokomo/...Schmidt_Review
or the German original:
http://www.rc-news.de/08/2015/im-tes...z-2-2wd-buggy/
mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #1240
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman007 View Post
This 62/38

Is 62 rear?
38 front?

Weight distribution?

And would this work the same for stock 17.5t class? I was in the belief that you want a lighter buggy in stock vs a heavy 1619gr mod buggy?

Thank for your time.
M
Yes 62% rear weight and 38% front weight. I forgot to mention I run mod. In stock you need to run the car light and it probably doesn't require more rear weight. If the car is a bit unstable in stock you may want to try and run the ESC on the battery brace. This will remove some front end weight and also add some roll for more traction.
DS1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #1241
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS1969 View Post
Yes 62% rear weight and 38% front weight. I forgot to mention I run mod. In stock you need to run the car light and it probably doesn't require more rear weight. If the car is a bit unstable in stock you may want to try and run the ESC on the battery brace. This will remove some front end weight and also add some roll for more traction.
Thank you sir
Old 08-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #1242
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOmo View Post
Petit RC has a updated Thread based on the OOPLE article for the conversion.

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/yokomo/...thBMaxRearEnd/

SO, the great Debate....

YZ-2 with BMAX Rear

OR

BMAX2/3 with YZ Front

MOmo
Or bmax2 rear with bmax2 front <3
RaceToTheBottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:20 PM   #1243
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

I was able to run my Y-Max and was quite impressed over my bmax right out of the gate. I bench raced some spring/piston/oils on the chassis and it was spot on. I plan to test more on this setup to see if I can get even more speed out of it. It has a lot more steering than my tweaked Bmax for sure, and carries over stability that others have not seen out of the Yz2.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #1244
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anyone know of good servo mounts that have 4 holes to hold servo not really liking the stock setup
Jim Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #1245
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hughes View Post
anyone know of good servo mounts that have 4 holes to hold servo not really liking the stock setup

http://www.mibosport.com/aluminum-servo-mount-set-yz-2

Maybe two holes