R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 08-10-2017, 01:11 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Bob Barry
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

If you edit the page, please add your name and date prior to your addition. While an admin can view the history, this makes it easier for everyone to just check updates. We'll put the newest additions at the top

Setup Sheets can be found here

Print Wikipost

Like Tree40Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #646
Tech Master
 
WillS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,126
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WillS Send a message via Yahoo to WillS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoneym View Post
Looking for little more traction coming out of the turn. Currently running 1.6 F/R will going to 1.7 rear help.
More setup information will help. Its easy to take an editable setup sheet and post so we can examine what other conditions that maybe present.
__________________
Will Smith
=========================================================
Sponsors:
Cheater Racing, Team Powers, Amain.com/Protek, Dialed RC Hobbies, Sweep Racing
WillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #647
Tech Master
 
WillS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,126
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WillS Send a message via Yahoo to WillS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo tom View Post
Alloy rear hubs for Low grip ?

I didn't think back when the car was presented that it will be that fast and easy to drive, really happy with the car and for once no need for anything besides springs and maybe turmbuckles. Bought a lot of 2wd and I always had to buy things before running it.
I normally run alloy hubs on high bite. There could be some characteristics of the weight properties that could help in low bite conditions.
__________________
Will Smith
=========================================================
Sponsors:
Cheater Racing, Team Powers, Amain.com/Protek, Dialed RC Hobbies, Sweep Racing
WillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #648
Tech Elite
 
vr6cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 4,052
Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)
Default

I really like my yz2.

Took about two quals and practice to get used too and setup but man, gotta say its nice. feels fast in corners. Faster then my 22 2.0 and almost as fast as my b5m was. I could easily see it faster then my b5m with track time here soon. Guess it fits my driving style.
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #649
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,881
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Here's a pic I took during my rebuild tonight. The left side is the Bmax2 dog done and the right side is the YZ dog bone. I added rear droop to my car a while back and have been running the Bmax bones since. I finally got around to taking a pic to show where the pins now sit in the out drive. The YZ is too close to the edge for my liking but some may not care. It's personal preference.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokomo YZ-2-20150302_213314.jpg  
__________________
REMEMBER THE GOOD OLE DAYS..........THEY'RE NEVER COMING BACK SO WE'RE STUCK WITH THE MESS IN FRONT OF US!!!!
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:37 PM   #650
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,881
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6cj View Post
I really like my yz2.

Took about two quals and practice to get used too and setup but man, gotta say its nice. feels fast in corners. Faster then my 22 2.0 and almost as fast as my b5m was. I could easily see it faster then my b5m with track time here soon. Guess it fits my driving style.
So you're the one Derek was helping the other day :-)
__________________
REMEMBER THE GOOD OLE DAYS..........THEY'RE NEVER COMING BACK SO WE'RE STUCK WITH THE MESS IN FRONT OF US!!!!
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:38 AM   #651
Tech Master
 
FLHX1550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wyoming, MN
Posts: 1,712
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillS View Post
Honestly with the weight of the car as it is, you don't need titanium turnbuckles.

Shock pistons have always been a tuning aid not an upgrade. the car come with 2x1.5, 2x1.6, 2x1.7 with the kit build of 1.6 front and 1.7 rear.

Rear hubs are a tuning aid as well. The flex characteristics change when you run aluminum or plastic. Ask any of the associated guys
My comment was mainly regards to durability. I invested in Ti turnbuckles to not have to worry about a DNF due to broken turnbuckles. And a car in this class should come with Ti turnbuckles.

As far as the rear hubs go, I myself won't run a car with vertical ball stud design with plastic hubs. Just have seen so many DNFs. The plastic B5 hubs have an alum insert that is significantly more stout of a setup, and they are not of the vertical ball stud design. Along with that they use a much larger ball stud and a tie rod end that is more durable also.

On the pistons, a car in this class should come with either machined or much better molded pistons. At least the stock setup pistons should be machined.
__________________
JConcepts - TKO - RW Mods - B-Fast - MODX Motors & Batteries - Skare OCD Designs
FLHX1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:53 AM   #652
Tech Master
 
FLHX1550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wyoming, MN
Posts: 1,712
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Here's a pic I took during my rebuild tonight. The left side is the Bmax2 dog done and the right side is the YZ dog bone. I added rear droop to my car a while back and have been running the Bmax bones since. I finally got around to taking a pic to show where the pins now sit in the out drive. The YZ is too close to the edge for my liking but some may not care. It's personal preference.
I actually never ran the stock bones, and went to the B-Max ones right out of the box. Other than weight, I don't see why they felt they needed to go to a shorter one?

As far as droop, once properly built, this car has a tremendous amount of droop. The most I have seen in a 2wd buggy. And once you get the setup right, the droop will give a major advantage.

This car was one of the most difficult for me to setup, but once I got it close, the car was on the next level. I out qualified the local AE, TLR, and Kyosho hot drivers, all of which are half my age. And I've seen some sell their cars and buy YZs due to my results.

Once dialed in, this car has allot of predictable steering and is increadably stable. I can run a much more aggressive front tire than anyone else, which has my corner speed has higher than anyone else at the track right now.
__________________
JConcepts - TKO - RW Mods - B-Fast - MODX Motors & Batteries - Skare OCD Designs
FLHX1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:24 AM   #653
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

If the Bmax bones work, Why doesn't someone try the pucks for the Bmax then?
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #654
Tech Elite
 
Racing4Evo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,118
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
If the Bmax bones work, Why doesn't someone try the pucks for the Bmax then?
There are none. MIP hasn't made pucks for any Yokomo, at least not yet.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:35 AM   #655
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing4Evo View Post


There are none. MIP hasn't made pucks for any Yokomo, at least not yet.
http://www.amain.com/mip-pucks-shiny...system/p300922
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:37 AM   #656
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,909
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
pff, besides MIP drivers who uses MIP shiny pucks, lol
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 AM   #657
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,881
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHX1550 View Post
I actually never ran the stock bones, and went to the B-Max ones right out of the box. Other than weight, I don't see why they felt they needed to go to a shorter one?

As far as droop, once properly built, this car has a tremendous amount of droop. The most I have seen in a 2wd buggy. And once you get the setup right, the droop will give a major advantage.

This car was one of the most difficult for me to setup, but once I got it close, the car was on the next level. I out qualified the local AE, TLR, and Kyosho hot drivers, all of which are half my age. And I've seen some sell their cars and buy YZs due to my results.

Once dialed in, this car has allot of predictable steering and is increadably stable. I can run a much more aggressive front tire than anyone else, which has my corner speed has higher than anyone else at the track right now.
If you build the car to kit specs it doesn't have enough droop IMO. From day one I mentioned lack of droop. My car came alive once drop was added front and rear. There's a reason why guys want to take my car to the Cactus Classic.....lol
__________________
REMEMBER THE GOOD OLE DAYS..........THEY'RE NEVER COMING BACK SO WE'RE STUCK WITH THE MESS IN FRONT OF US!!!!
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #658
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,881
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
If the Bmax bones work, Why doesn't someone try the pucks for the Bmax then?
There are a few running the pucks currently and they work just fine.
__________________
REMEMBER THE GOOD OLE DAYS..........THEY'RE NEVER COMING BACK SO WE'RE STUCK WITH THE MESS IN FRONT OF US!!!!
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #659
Tech Elite
 
vr6cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 4,052
Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
So you're the one Derek was helping the other day :-)
yes, and droop did help tons. also some small other things we tried but thanks!
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #660
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,881
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6cj View Post
yes, and droop did help tons. also some small other things we tried but thanks!
Glad it helped. Talking to people about droop is like kicking a dead horse. I'll just continue to turn heads and leave them wondering what I'm running.
__________________
REMEMBER THE GOOD OLE DAYS..........THEY'RE NEVER COMING BACK SO WE'RE STUCK WITH THE MESS IN FRONT OF US!!!!
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
DirkW
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:33 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net