R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-10-2017, 01:11 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Bob Barry
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

If you edit the page, please add your name and date prior to your addition. While an admin can view the history, this makes it easier for everyone to just check updates. We'll put the newest additions at the top

Setup Sheets can be found here

Print Wikipost

Like Tree43Likes

Old 02-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #436
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Default Set up

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/yokomo/...sCity20150131/
Old 02-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #437
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

Joe.........thanks for the help via pm in regards to the Yokomo product line....your car looks good!
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #438
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehundy View Post
Joe,

Can you suggest other springs than the XGears? Also, can you post pictures of exactly where you placed the weights?
pumpkinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:09 AM   #439
Tech Regular

Default Picture

And as for springs I only have xgear's ...they are the same as kyosho
Old 02-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #440
Tech Regular

So 50g total under the tranny?
jake alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #441
Tech Regular

Default Grams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake alton View Post
So 50g total under the tranny?

Old 02-07-2015, 08:13 PM   #442
Tech Addict

Jake, his picture cleared up my confusion. Joe is saying he used 25g total under the trans and it was two 10g pieces right up against the RF holder and one 5g piece on top of those. It appears he is using the JConcepts weights which come in 5 and 10g pieces. I use the Losi which are 7g each.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #443
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Pretty Impressed with the car. Had a rough night qualifying with my RB6 and decided to practice with the YZ-2 and it was awesome. A little track info. Tight indoor clay fresh build usually not high bite for 1-2 weeks so we run SS tires until it starts to groove.

So I ran it our main and was 7th on the grid. Halfway through the race got into first and had fast lap of the race which was .8 faster than the RB6 in the 3 quals. Ended 3rd when I went stupid into the face of the jump but was very happy and always had catch up ability because it was so smooth and easy to drive.

The only changes I did from the kit build was flat 1.6 pistons 35,30 oil and 3.5 toe and middle hole on the rear tower.

Reedy shorty battery, Orion motor/ESC, Sanwa servo I weigh in at 1530 ish.
SC5M
big chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:46 AM   #444
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

After 3 days on testing and changing a bunch of things this is the set up I feel gave me the best results and should be able to be duplicated for others and other tracks. I tested different pistons, oil, and springs. Kyosho springs seem to be the go to spring so I ran it with good results. Both whites front and rear and golds. For tacky moist tracks the golds are the ticket. When it's sorta wet but starting to dry out the whites are the way to go. My personal belief on these springs is no matter how good they are they aren't worth $20 a pair. With that in mind I am a racers racer and I wanted to offer a setup that many could run and have no problems getting the items used.

I then switched to the AE springs which after talking with a few very trustworthy local racers we figured that maybe gray might be close to the Kyosho golds. The car was pretty good on the grays and the car jumped pretty well with a stiffer spring. One issue I had with these springs is that when the bite came up the car got twitcy and was a little harder to control if you needed to push the pace. I then switched to whites all around and boy did the car really feel planted to the track. I could put it anywhere on the track and it was stuck. Perfect amount of steering and it jumped pretty good as well. (stiffer springs felt like it jumped just a hair better) I experienced one issue that a couple of others have experienced and that's the eclipe popping off inside the shock. It's a tighter fit than on the Bmax shocks. Keep a close eye on how you snap them into place. Having extras won't hurt.

A variety of pistons and oils were also tried yet I feel that the 1.6's were the more consistent feeling IMO Feel free to try the setup out and I welcome your thoughts on it. Hope to have it on Petit soon
Attached Files
File Type: pdf YZ-2 LSR SETUP.pdf (415.3 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by STLNLST; 02-08-2015 at 10:19 AM.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:22 AM   #445
Tech Addict

You forgot your shock mounting positions on the arms, otherwise looks good!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #446
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinfish View Post
You forgot your shock mounting positions on the arms, otherwise looks good!
Setup corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by STLNLST; 02-08-2015 at 10:28 AM. Reason: I made a boo boo......lol
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #447
Tech Rookie

I'm a newbie here but started building RC cars when the RC10 was the hot new buggy.

I got back into it late last year, some sort of mid-life crisis I suppose, and when the YZ-2 was announced, I jumped at the chance to be one of the cool kids with the latest hotness.

Anyway... great kit, smooth build other than having to clearance the front bulkhead to get full right steering lock. I haven't seen anyone else mention that issue.

Well today was the first day I took it to a track, and when i got there I noticed the drivetrain/motor was weirdly loud. I ran the car some in my house and don't recall hearing anything like the noise it made today. I recorded a quick video of it if anyone wants to give their 2 cents worth.

youtu.be/ifk2Yrhtbug (just put the http etc, in front)

Sorry in advance for bending the rules a bit with that link.

Thanks,

Tim
Nottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #448
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

That gear mesh is horribly tight. That spur gear is trashed. Pull the pinion off the motor and make sure the driveline spins freely without any binding.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #449
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottom View Post
I'm a newbie here but started building RC cars when the RC10 was the hot new buggy.

I got back into it late last year, some sort of mid-life crisis I suppose, and when the YZ-2 was announced, I jumped at the chance to be one of the cool kids with the latest hotness.

Anyway... great kit, smooth build other than having to clearance the front bulkhead to get full right steering lock. I haven't seen anyone else mention that issue.

Well today was the first day I took it to a track, and when i got there I noticed the drivetrain/motor was weirdly loud. I ran the car some in my house and don't recall hearing anything like the noise it made today. I recorded a quick video of it if anyone wants to give their 2 cents worth.

youtu.be/ifk2Yrhtbug (just put the http etc, in front)

Sorry in advance for bending the rules a bit with that link.

Thanks,

Tim
The kit comes with a tall and a short servo arm. Which one do you have on?
Old 02-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #450
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
That gear mesh is horribly tight. That spur gear is trashed. Pull the pinion off the motor and make sure the driveline spins freely without any binding.
Thanks for the reply.

I can understand why you might think that, but it's a brand new pinion gear I put on 5 minutes before I made the video, and the spur looks brand new but has just been run around the house a bit. It was probably a little tight, but loosening it makes no meaningful difference. When I swapped pinions I spun the spur and it's very smooth.

I'm concerned more with the motor. It seems to have an odd sound when I run it off the car, but I don't know what normal sounds like.

I also think the gearbox needs to be lubed. I followed the instructions to the letter and it doesn't say anything about lubing the idler gears, so against my better judgement I didn't lube them.

I think I need to start there.
Nottom is offline   Reply With Quote