R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-10-2017, 01:11 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Bob Barry
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

If you edit the page, please add your name and date prior to your addition. While an admin can view the history, this makes it easier for everyone to just check updates. We'll put the newest additions at the top

Setup Sheets can be found here

Print Wikipost

Like Tree63Likes

Old 08-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #3121
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 234 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post
Ryan's Nationals setup was published
his rear piston setup sounds interesting. was curious to see if the 3 x 1.4mm setup would be used versus what seems to be the default 2 x 1.7mm setups.

still trying to wrap my head around when to use something like a 3 x 1.4mm versus a 2 x 1.7mm .

It sounds like, and hopefully someone can correct me that the slow speed damping is basically the same, its when things get moving fast it basically affects when a shock packs. the 3 x 1.4mm would pack sooner than the 2 x 1.7mm, right? If so, then the 2 x 1.7mm is better for bumpy conditions without big jumps, correct?

Also running 60 grams under the battery, be curious to compare the battery to what I run for weight diff.

Here is a very dumb question. Looking at the setup sheets for the DTM, it lists what I believe are the stock springs as a check box and another where you can write in what you are using. Is the setup sheet correct that the vehicle is using the Arena style "turf" springs out of the box?

How can you tell versus a regular green spring (one is shorter, etc)?

If that is the case, I wonder if maifields national setup is using orange YAS Springs on the rear or the YS A1175 springs.

Heck, the YS ones I have, maybe I should chuck those on instead.

Last edited by Cain; 08-17-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #3122
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Guys a new Facebook page has been made for US based Yokomo information, setups, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/YokomoUS/

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #3123
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Guys a new Facebook page has been made for US based Yokomo information, setups, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/YokomoUS/
with there be a USA specific webpage in the future as well?
Old 08-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #3124
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Pretty sure that's 4 hole pistons with 3 at 1.4 and 1 at 1.0
Bob Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #3125
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
with there be a USA specific webpage in the future as well?
Yes that's the current plan.
Cain likes this.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:38 PM   #3126
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well Randy I ordered one today from my Lhs. Your recommendation made go ahead and do it, lol
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #3127
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Anyone know when there will be a new update to this car coming? I'm curious to see how Yokomo takes it further for dirt and clay.
Woulvesbaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #3128
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine View Post
Anyone know when there will be a new update to this car coming? I'm curious to see how Yokomo takes it further for dirt and clay.
the DTM is like 6 months old
Cain and sgtlt like this.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:16 AM   #3129
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine View Post
As the car is pretty new as mentioned, at least for dirt, I think they could offer a full on stand-up "dirt" edition of the vehicle out of the box. Yes you can but the conversion parts, but it is nice to have a full version all in a kit.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #3130
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

do you mean like this?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/yokomo-...-yz2dt/p486624
Banshee8530 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #3131
Tech Legend

That or the conversion on the DTM so the stuff that was DTM specific that the conversion doesn't replace you get all in one box.

Last edited by Cain; 08-19-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #3132
Tech Elite

Quote:
As the car is pretty new as mentioned, at least for dirt, I think they could offer a full on stand-up "dirt" edition of the vehicle out of the box. Yes you can but the conversion parts, but it is nice to have a full version all in a kit.
I understand your want, but Yokomo has had a car with a stand-up MM for several years now. This car was engineered specifically to offer a true, from the ground up mid-motor car with an ultra low center of gravity and if people want to go BACK to running a patchwork MM car, there's a full version of that car already offered by Yoke.

While they do have all the parts required to convert it, I don't think it's fair to expect a ready made conversion kit for it.

Personally, I really enjoyed figuring out how to get this superb design to do on dirt what it does on all artificial surfaces and once you get there, there is no way you'd want to Frankenstein it up.
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #3133
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post
the DTM is like 6 months old
Lol! I seriously didn't know. How different is it from the previous YZ 2 iterations?
Woulvesbaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #3134
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I've used 3x1.4 rear pistons in lieu of 2x1.7's in another buggy and loved them. This was on smoother indoor clay tracks and I felt like they had great damping like the 2x1.7 but wouldn't chassis slap as much on large jumps. However, I learned on real dirt off-road tracks that had a lot of ruts the pistons really packed up and made my buggy a little loose in the rear on throttle. This was outdoor on holeshots with a rutted track. Thought the 3x1.4 would work better there but it didn't. Granted this track also runs 8th scale buggies so probably wasn't the smoothest

Quote:
his rear piston setup sounds interesting. was curious to see if the 3 x 1.4mm setup would be used versus what seems to be the default 2 x 1.7mm setups.

still trying to wrap my head around when to use something like a 3 x 1.4mm versus a 2 x 1.7mm .

It sounds like, and hopefully someone can correct me that the slow speed damping is basically the same, its when things get moving fast it basically affects when a shock packs. the 3 x 1.4mm would pack sooner than the 2 x 1.7mm, right? If so, then the 2 x 1.7mm is better for bumpy conditions without big jumps, correct?

Also running 60 grams under the battery, be curious to compare the battery to what I run for weight diff.

Here is a very dumb question. Looking at the setup sheets for the DTM, it lists what I believe are the stock springs as a check box and another where you can write in what you are using. Is the setup sheet correct that the vehicle is using the Arena style "turf" springs out of the box?

How can you tell versus a regular green spring (one is shorter, etc)?

If that is the case, I wonder if maifields national setup is using orange YAS Springs on the rear or the YS A1175 springs.

Heck, the YS ones I have, maybe I should chuck those on instead.
JAE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #3135
Tech Legend

yeah that fits my track as far as roughness goes.

For those who bought that shim kit from shapeways, I talked to the manufacturer and they may make the shims to go over the rear hanger versus using regular shims in a revision to work better with the DTMs rear ballstud mount setup.