Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree485Likes

Yokomo YZ-2

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-11-2021, 01:35 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lexusbest
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1
  • Long specification for dirt Main chassis Inheriting the chassis cut of dirt specification, it is longer with the same wheelbase as CAL3.
  • Aluminum front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTM2B F2 body.
  • JConcepts ASTRO High Clearance 7inch Wing.
Features for the lastest specification YZ-2CAL3.1
  • Long specification main chassis for carpets. Long wheelbase that enables even higher speeds.
  • Steel front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTMBL S2 Lightweight body.
  • Z2-CAL2W LMR Wing.
Common features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1 / YZ-2CAL3.1
  • The conventional position and the position of the suspension arm pin 1 mm higher can be selected on the front and back of the front suspension mount.
  • Bulkhead integrated side plate with increased rigidity.
  • The kingpin position has been changed with the new steering hub carrier, the axle position has been lengthened by 1 mm, and a steering stopper has also been added.
  • Battery holder that is easy to adjust according to the height of the battery.
  • Separate the rear mount base and upper arm holder to increase the flex around the rear and improve traction.
  • Z2-018-5 5-hole shock mounting specification Rear shock tower.
  • S4-S1S 3.0mm shaft specification front shock.
  • S4-S1M 3.0mm shaft specification rear short shock.
  • S4-008R5B L5 / LD Rear suspension arm (Φ3.5 pin).
  • Z2-01069 Rear universal shaft (69mm bone).

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

YZ2T Tranny Conversion List

YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I
YOKZ2-0023

CAL3 manual
DTM3 manual

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:40 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tedstryker
Question what servo horn are you guys using to get full steering 20mm? What brand?
I run an 18mm KO propo one. You can also get away using any for the B5/6 and still get full steering. The kit comes with 2 lengths. The longer simply makes the steering quicker.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
I run an 18mm KO propo one. You can also get away using any for the B5/6 and still get full steering. The kit comes with 2 lengths. The longer simply makes the steering quicker.
Much appreciated Randy
Old 01-24-2017, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Looking into buying a new yz-2 dirt edition to get back into the hobby. Want to break up the monotony of a B6D. What are the mandatory upgrades while building other than the shock pistons and tie rods?
Old 01-24-2017, 04:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZJP
Looking into buying a new yz-2 dirt edition to get back into the hobby. Want to break up the monotony of a B6D. What are the mandatory upgrades while building other than the shock pistons and tie rods?
Other that what you have listed, you are good to go. The car is race worthy out of the box. No need for aftermarket hop ups like another brand you might be familiar with. No need to send it to Exotek, JC, MIP, etc. to create an episode of "Pimp My RC"...

Welcome to Yokomo!
Old 01-24-2017, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

I noticed the hubs are plastic, no issues with ball studs tearing out? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 04:21 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The car is fine as is. I'd give the CA a look however if you race on any kind of decent to good grip levels. The DT is great but I'd only use it if the B6 guys are running 3 gear stand up cars.

No need for hop ups really. However I do like the rear aluminum ball stud mount as well as the front aluminum one. I've never broken one but I have seen others do it.

In regard to the rear hubs. Use M3 grub screws to fill in any holes you're not using to strengthen the part.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

The track isn't open yet but I was told the local pros who have been on it have been running stand up. Is this car convertible to laydown?
Old 01-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Is this car convertible to laydown?
Yep. Just need a few parts from the CA model. The DT and CA share the same chassis as well so no drilling.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Yikes, the aluminum hop ups are pricey but it's all relative I suppose. Is there anything else I should buy or is most of it just bling? Or rather, has anyone else broken anything or found they should have upgraded something from the start? What parts break most often? Are shock towers an issue like the b6?

Last edited by AZJP; 01-24-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rbk1115
Other that what you have listed, you are good to go. The car is race worthy out of the box. No need for aftermarket hop
ups like another brand you might be familiar with. No need to send it to Exotek, JC, MIP, etc. to create an episode of "Pimp My RC"...

Welcome to Yokomo!
Yep, you don't need to do a thing to the buggy outside of the shock pistons. The stock turnbuckles are fine but you can go titanium if you want. If you do upgrade anything down the road, I really like the Yokomo aluminum rear hubs. If you don't have these be sure and put set screws in the extra holes on the plastic ones to help with strength.

Enjoy it! Yokomo stuff is top notch and tons of setup sheets out there to get you started.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

Yikes, the aluminum hop ups are pricey but it's all relative I suppose. Is there anything else I should buy or is most of it just bling? Or rather, has anyone else broken anything or found they should have upgraded something from the start? What parts break most often? Are shock towers an issue like the b6?
I've been running 17.5 in the YZ-2 since June 2016 and have yet to break a part. The kit comes with most of the aluminum parts you will need. The rest are really clean looking bling. Also, if you get the CA kit, it comes with the aluminum front camber mount. The DT comes with a plastic front camber mount that has different dimensions. I bought both kits so it was interesting to see the differences between the two.

The recently released rear hub kit is pretty nice as well and so is the rear camber block. The car had more grip with the updated hubs. This hub kit from Yokomo does what the AE guys are currently piecing together for their rear hub mod (~67mm TLR dog bone, bore out hub so that the bearing is over the hinge pin, etc. I felt that the car had more grip after installing the hub kit. However, you will need to use the YZ-2 CA/YZ-4 rear arms for the kit.

Last edited by rbk1115; 01-24-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:44 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What was Maifield running at Reedy? Any special setup? Always read he laydown had traction issues and needed a lot of setup help for medium bite. Didn't look like it

Originally Posted by rbk1115
I've been running 17.5 in the YZ-2 since June 2016 and have yet to break a part. The kit comes with most of the aluminum parts you will need. The rest are really clean looking bling. Also, if you get the CA kit, it comes with the aluminum front camber mount. The DT comes with a plastic front camber mount that has different dimensions. I bought both kits so it was interesting to see the differences between the two.

The recently released new kit is pretty nice as well as the rear camber block. The car had more grip with the updated hubs. This hub kit from Yokomo does what the AE guys are currently piecing together for their rear hub mod (~67mm TLR dog bone, bore out hub so that the bearing is over the hinge pin, etc. I felt that the car had more grip after installing the hub kit. However, you will need to use the YZ-2 CA/YZ-4 rear arms for the kit.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

The track isn't open yet but I was told the local pros who have been on it have been running stand up. Is this car convertible to laydown?
For the laydown transmission, you will need:

CA Transmission Case
CA Idler Gear
CA Motor Plate
CA Rear Shock Tower
CA Battery Strap
CA Waterfall
CA Rear Arms aka "S4 Arms" (Z4-008RS4)
CA Rear Wing Mounts
CA Shock Tower Spacer
CA Rear Upper Arm Mount
CA Dog Bones (B2-010R)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JAE
What was Maifield running at Reedy? Any special setup? Always read he laydown had traction issues and needed a lot of setup help for medium bite. Didn't look like it
It appeared that he was running the CA, but had some prototype parts to use the DT rear camber mount and a brace against the rear tower. He also appeared to be using the DT steering plates. Other than these items, the car was a CA.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Tech Adept

It is all relative. However, I have noticed that Yokomo parts have gotten more expensive over the past few months as well.

I have had no issues with my shock towers breaking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.