Like Tree485Likes

Yokomo YZ-2

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-11-2021, 01:35 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lexusbest
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1
  • Long specification for dirt Main chassis Inheriting the chassis cut of dirt specification, it is longer with the same wheelbase as CAL3.
  • Aluminum front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTM2B F2 body.
  • JConcepts ASTRO High Clearance 7inch Wing.
Features for the lastest specification YZ-2CAL3.1
  • Long specification main chassis for carpets. Long wheelbase that enables even higher speeds.
  • Steel front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTMBL S2 Lightweight body.
  • Z2-CAL2W LMR Wing.
Common features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1 / YZ-2CAL3.1
  • The conventional position and the position of the suspension arm pin 1 mm higher can be selected on the front and back of the front suspension mount.
  • Bulkhead integrated side plate with increased rigidity.
  • The kingpin position has been changed with the new steering hub carrier, the axle position has been lengthened by 1 mm, and a steering stopper has also been added.
  • Battery holder that is easy to adjust according to the height of the battery.
  • Separate the rear mount base and upper arm holder to increase the flex around the rear and improve traction.
  • Z2-018-5 5-hole shock mounting specification Rear shock tower.
  • S4-S1S 3.0mm shaft specification front shock.
  • S4-S1M 3.0mm shaft specification rear short shock.
  • S4-008R5B L5 / LD Rear suspension arm (Φ3.5 pin).
  • Z2-01069 Rear universal shaft (69mm bone).

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

YZ2T Tranny Conversion List

YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I
YOKZ2-0023

CAL3 manual
DTM3 manual

Print Wikipost

Old 01-18-2017, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Going to be buying a yz2 ca for carpet racing. What parts or hopups should I get while ordering the kit?? Thanks.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Potoczak
Going to be buying a yz2 ca for carpet racing. What parts or hopups should I get while ordering the kit?? Thanks.
You really don't need much at with all the aluminum and carbon parts that cone with it.

If you don't run a sway bar you can try an aluminium rear camber brace. Only other thing you might consider is the aluminum hubs. If you stick with plastic just put set screws in unused holes to give it more strength.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Potoczak
Swaybars and under battery-weights. And machined pistons, 2x1,7 rear and 2x1,6 front. Maybe some yatabe springs to play around with. I also like the Yokomo alu front wing mount, but it's expensive.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by matterooth
Swaybars and under battery-weights. And machined pistons, 2x1,7 rear and 2x1,6 front. Maybe some yatabe springs to play around with. I also like the Yokomo alu front wing mount, but it's expensive.
+1....totally forgot the kit comes with molded shock pistons....definitely get some machined ones. There are good setup sheets out there with AE, kyosho, Yatabe, and even avid springs, so pick your preference there and get you a few to play with.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jagman1
Well it arrived today awesome looking car yz2 original, I just want to push the suspension up and down and roll it on the work bench, yeah you know, after examining the rear weight addition of the incubus how about running the two steel rear hangers to pull the weight bias back, I have a rear front that came with the car, yes med grip dirt, I have been admiring these cars for a while, I might just got push it along the lounge floor.
I ordered both those pasts but since I've not been able to race in over 4 months they are still in my toolbox waiting to be installed. They feel about the same as the weight I installed so I imagine it will have a similar if not identical effect on my car's handling.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by draboyd19
You really don't need much at with all the aluminum and carbon parts that cone with it.

If you don't run a sway bar you can try an aluminium rear camber brace. Only other thing you might consider is the aluminum hubs. If you stick with plastic just put set screws in unused holes to give it more strength.
You can run sway bars with rear alum bulkhead as well.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:22 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks incubus, does someone know if the aluminum rear upper arm mount off the dirt fits the original i see they are shaped different but the dirt one is less than half price.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

The DT aluminum rear camber link doesn't fit the original. Looks like Maifield may be running the DT version on his CA which has a similar rear end to the original with a yet to be released spacer of some sort.

So the answer is no, not right now, but maybe soon.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So thinking about getting back into this again, with a buggy this time, since my last foray into short course truck racing wasn't great. Had a lot of radio problems to start, and well, never was that great of a truck racer anyways.

Question is, what is the main difference between the yz-2 and yz-2 ca? My plan is to find a used yz-2 to run, to save on the cost a bit to get back into it. Does the CA seriously outmatch the original? Can the original be "made" into a CA? Or is it just not worth the $$ spent to do so?
Old 01-19-2017, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by {tpc}
So thinking about getting back into this again, with a buggy this time, since my last foray into short course truck racing wasn't great. Had a lot of radio problems to start, and well, never was that great of a truck racer anyways.

Question is, what is the main difference between the yz-2 and yz-2 ca? My plan is to find a used yz-2 to run, to save on t
he cost a bit to get back into it. Does the CA seriously outmatch the original? Can the original be "made" into a CA? Or is it just not worth the $$ spent to do so?
Save some money and get a nice used original. If you decide you want to get the 3 gears laydown trans the kit is $30. Outside of the transmission and idler gear the cars are basically the same thing. The cva driveshaft and rear arms are longer on the CA but you can swap those later if you want, and as a you are getting back into it you are not going to notice that difference right away.

Others may disagree but you will be fine to start with an original.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

^This is good advice. Lots of nice used YZ-2's around. If you pick up a 3 gear transmission you can try both out and see what you like. A lot of people are clamoring for the 3 gear but Jared Tebo over at Kyosho only runs 4 gear. He says he loses braking power with the 3 gear.

I feel both setups have their place based on track conditions. All based on preference but it will be interesting for you to see the difference since you're getting back into things.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks for the info. I have a couple lines in the water so to speak on a yz-2. Also have some interest in a b6, but just waiting to hear back from folks so far.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If anyone is interested, I have a YZ2 DT for sale. Has had a handful of races on it outside. Has B6 ball cups and Lunsford super duty tie rods. Steel front suspension hanger, longer dog bones, slipper eliminator and 2 bodies. One custom painted by Darkside. PM for more info.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Can the 4 gear trans from the original yz-2 be used in the new DT edition?
Old 01-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by robbie_gtc
You can run sway bars with rear alum bulkhead as well.
Please elaborate. Is there a parts list? I've never seen a rear bar mounted to aluminum rear mount.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.