R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-10-2017, 01:11 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Bob Barry
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

If you edit the page, please add your name and date prior to your addition. While an admin can view the history, this makes it easier for everyone to just check updates. We'll put the newest additions at the top

Setup Sheets can be found here

Print Wikipost

Like Tree63Likes

Old 08-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #2371

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenmoto View Post
Check out rc-race-and-drift-japan.com Good guy, ships fast and parts are cheap! I used a-main untill I found them.
Agreed on self-importing - Amain is definitely pushing their luck with the current price increases and those didn't just start in the last week as I've observed everything but the kits themselves on a 3-month long price creep.

As a side note, Swift Distribution, aka, Amain's distribution arm, does not appear to have done so (yet, knock on wood) to the LHS' that stock Yokomo. One of my local turf tracks/shop stocks most things YZ-2 and it's pretty amazing when stuff at a LHS like that is now typically 10-20% less than Amain. In other words, your local track can carry Yokomo in the U.S. and now it's probably in your best interests as a racer to try to push them to do so.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #2372
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannow View Post
Thanks for the quick reply !
I already have the machined pistons 2x1.6 ft and 2x1.7rr .
So it is indeed for the track rear width only ? I was wondering if they goofed in the manual as they kept the rear camber link the same (29.5mm) so it means if you stand by the carpet edition manual's rear camber link length you must have an awful lot of camber ?

In fact I just discovered the proof that you're right in the dirt manual as it has the same rear suspension mounts as the carpet edition but with the standard yz2 arms .

It's a relief as these mounts are expensive !

Do you recommend anything else for carpet use only and maybe a couple of race on astro ? Gullwing are a plus ?

Thanks again
Rear track width + it will change how much the roll center etc changes as the suspension moves.

I think the only things really needed on carpet aside from already mentioned is weight up front, I put some in front of the servo 25~30g. I haven't tried gull wings myself, some people swear by them, but others run them one meet then not the next.
Will27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:33 PM   #2373
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I want to try a yokomo. Have a couple X-ray xb2's. Anyone have any updated opinions to draw a comparison between the two, now they've both been out awhile and Which carpet car has better grip for med bite clay? Also looking at the must have parts for running the carpet edition on med bite? One thing that I love about the X-ray is the ease of working on it especially getting to the diff in 5 screws. But- I only have a 4 gear option for the lay down now - boo. Thx all in advance

Last edited by JAE; 08-08-2016 at 09:30 PM.
JAE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #2374
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I've never owned a XB2. Although they look really nice. But I do know that anyone in my area that had a Xb2, jumped ship to Yokomo. The DT, is super light from the box, and also probably the best 2wd out there. AE did a great job mirroring probably Yokomo's best 2wd buggy to date!
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #2375
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Agreed on self-importing - Amain is definitely pushing their luck with the current price increases and those didn't just start in the last week as I've observed everything but the kits themselves on a 3-month long price creep.

As a side note, Swift Distribution, aka, Amain's distribution arm, does not appear to have done so (yet, knock on wood) to the LHS' that stock Yokomo. One of my local turf tracks/shop stocks most things YZ-2 and it's pretty amazing when stuff at a LHS like that is now typically 10-20% less than Amain. In other words, your local track can carry Yokomo in the U.S. and now it's probably in your best interests as a racer to try to push them to do so.
Also check out MIBOSport. Michal is awesome fella whon provides crazy great service. UPS int to you door in 3day. Sign and you will see prices without the VAT. Also you can save $ depending on currency rates by paying In Czech currency via PayPal.
I also agree with liking Race Drift Japan as Tim is a good fella and provides great service.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #2376
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAE View Post
I want to try a yokomo. Have a couple X-ray xb2's. Anyone have any updated opinions to draw a comparison between the two, now they've both been out awhile and Which carpet car has better grip for med bite clay? Also looking at the must have parts for running the carpet edition on med bite? One thing that I love about the X-ray is the ease of working on it especially getting to the diff in 5 screws. But- I only have a 4 gear option for the lay down now - boo. Thx all in advance
XRAY is awesome qaulity and performance thus you can't go wrong. However if you want a buggy Yokomo's YZ2 carpet and DIrt models are the best buggys out.
Plus Yokomo qaulity is top notch.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #2377
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Garcia View Post
I've never owned a XB2. Although they look really nice. But I do know that anyone in my area that had a Xb2, jumped ship to Yokomo. The DT, is super light from the box, and also probably the best 2wd out there. AE did a great job mirroring probably Yokomo's best 2wd buggy to date!
+1 with my buddy Raul. Yokomo's YZ2 is superb and the DT is incredible. XB2 is really nice however the YZ2 is just in class of its own.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #2378
JAE
Tech Master

Can you give me any examples of the pluses vs minus of how each drive differently from one another? What is "best" out there? Some people prefer steering to grip and vice versa so without explaining driving characteristics it's hard to understand. I do appreciate it
Old 08-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #2379
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Can you give me any examples of the pluses vs minus of how each drive differently from one another? What is "best" out there? Some people prefer steering to grip and vice versa so without explaining driving characteristics it's hard to understand. I do appreciate it
Why don't you try driving Peter Cruz's Yokomo?
Phillip F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:49 AM   #2380
Tech Initiate

I have both cars in dt and the Yokomo is by far the best. Build quality is about the same. The Yokomo corner speed is a little faster then the Xray and is more consistent. Jumping the Yokomo is on a different leave then the xray no chassis slap or anything else it did and through the little bumps it has no problems going through them. It's good on high bite conditions and it even gets better when the track gets dusty through the run.
Deerek761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:30 AM   #2381
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fpart

Is anyone using the graphite arms on low bite surface with the YZ2. My stock arms seem to have too much flex and I am considering getting the graphite arms.
fpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #2382
Tech Master

I use the L5 flat front graphite so on my YZ4 on super low bite and they work incredible,
Old 08-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #2383
JAE
Tech Master

I can't seem to find anyone who doesn't love their Yokomo. Aside from the steel hangers, and a ball diff, what would be needed to run the CA edition on medium bite clay? don't want to be struggling for grip as this will be my 3rd stock car im trying out. Thx in advance
Old 08-16-2016, 01:10 PM   #2384
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
I can't seem to find anyone who doesn't love their Yokomo. Aside from the steel hangers, and a ball diff, what would be needed to run the CA edition on medium bite clay? don't want to be struggling for grip as this will be my 3rd stock car im trying out. Thx in advance
If you don't want to struggle with grip, get The DT version. The Ca is awesome for high grip.
Airtronics MT-4
Hobbywing
rippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #2385
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Could also do the bmax rear end
DriveKyosho is offline   Reply With Quote