R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-10-2017, 01:11 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Bob Barry
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

If you edit the page, please add your name and date prior to your addition. While an admin can view the history, this makes it easier for everyone to just check updates. We'll put the newest additions at the top

Setup Sheets can be found here

Print Wikipost

Like Tree43Likes

Old 03-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #1996

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodopsine View Post
Guys, I have a question that may sound stupid, but since I have mostly have raced onroad and offroad is still new to me, I'll ask it still.

What makes a ball diff better on dirt?
One of the many, many threads on that debate: 2wd Buggy Ball diff vs Gear Diff.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokarter64 View Post
can anyone with a yz2 measure out the distance in mm between the two wing mount holes on the rear shock tower (i circled them in the image). i'm working on a carbon shock tower for another car project and i want to use yz2 wing mounts.

I didn't remove mine from the car to measure so from roughly center of screw to center of screw = 12.5mm. Adjusting for a shaky hand, that makes it either 12 or 13mm

Why not order the YZ-2 wing mounts and then drill your tower for this other car after you physically have them?
Old 03-13-2016, 03:27 AM   #1998
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi, I'm a bit in a dilemma choosing between the yz2 dirt or the carpet version.
I had a kf which was brilliant on astro and high grip carpet but utterly useless on the rest,really really bad with me.
I then had a B5m which was much better for everything except on high grip which was just ok.
I now have a xb2 carpet edition which is between the kf and the b5m to me handling wise. And it's a little bit of a handful on most of our carpet races which are fairly low grip. I only do one race on astro, the rest is carpet.
For diverse reasons I'm fancying a yz2 (many mates are preaching me for this one) but I'm still undecided on the dirt or carpet version.
At first I was going to go with the dirt as I assumed the yz2 carpet and the xb2 would be too similar but looking at the weight bias I have found that the yz2 carpet is quite more rear bias than the xb2.
I'm looking for something in between the b5m and the xb2 and perhaps the yz2 carpet is the one instead of the dirt.

weight bias I've gathered:

Rear Front
kf 57% 43%
Xb2 58% 42%
kf low grip 60% 40%
yz2 62% 38%
b5m 64% 36%

Can someone help me out ?
shannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #1999

Weight bias is only a small part of the equation when comparing cars. Suspension geometry, steering rack swing, etc., etc. will have as much, if not more input on the cars' feel. For example, I've driven many XB2's - none have anything approaching the level of steering of the YZ-2 so if you're finding the XB2 a handful on some of your tracks, the YZ will generally be twitchier with the new 3-gear CA car getting twitchier still.

The YZ-2 dirt car should more or less fall on the scale of feel between the current YZ and the B5FL. Probably closer to being a high-quality version of the B5FL, however, with the B5FL not really being that great a car on carpet/turf, you'll have to decide if you want to be the guinea pig and take a chance on using the YZ dirt car as a "low-grip" carpet car.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #2000
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank you for the reply.

The xb2 is by no mean twitchy. It just doesn't have a lot of rear traction, it loves to fish tail. I usually have to go to extreme setups to get it to turn sharp. When you have news tires on the back it's then stable but my god the thing doesn't turn. has to go to less than 1000cst in the diff and lowest front rc highest rear rc and even so it "just" made the turns, i'd like sharper turns.
The kf on the other hand loved to fishtail during acceleration and was twitchy as hell no matter what.

I usually like twitchy stuff as long as the rear is well hooked up. Unfortunately as you say the ca and dt version not being out I'll probably be the guinea pig for this one although I'm betting the ca will be pretty close to the current yz2. So that's why I'm looking for feedbacks between people who drove both the xb2 and the yz2 but there's not many as the xb2 is still young.
shannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #2001
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannow View Post
Hi, I'm a bit in a dilemma choosing between the yz2 dirt or the carpet version.
I had a kf which was brilliant on astro and high grip carpet but utterly useless on the rest,really really bad with me.
I then had a B5m which was much better for everything except on high grip which was just ok.
I now have a xb2 carpet edition which is between the kf and the b5m to me handling wise. And it's a little bit of a handful on most of our carpet races which are fairly low grip. I only do one race on astro, the rest is carpet.
For diverse reasons I'm fancying a yz2 (many mates are preaching me for this one) but I'm still undecided on the dirt or carpet version.
At first I was going to go with the dirt as I assumed the yz2 carpet and the xb2 would be too similar but looking at the weight bias I have found that the yz2 carpet is quite more rear bias than the xb2.
I'm looking for something in between the b5m and the xb2 and perhaps the yz2 carpet is the one instead of the dirt.

Rear Front
kf 57% 43%
Xb2 58% 42%
kf low grip 60% 40%
yz2 62% 38%
b5m 64% 36%

I have a yz2 my buddy has xb2 carpet he and I both feel the yz2 has more steering and drives better with my setup on it. He wishes he got a yz2 over the xray now. If it was me i would get the yz2 carpet for sure the dirt model will not be very good on carpet at all it would be more like your b5m was.
turtle189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #2002
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
I don't see any flow into the body in any capacity.

The B-max ball diff is a direct fit. I have a B-Fast Ball diff kit and its labeled for the B-max.

The gear cover pictured looks to be 3D printed. If so... Oh hells naw! This is a pretty pricy kit to run a printed piece. Personally, I don't see enough of a difference to warrant considering "upgrading".
Plastic shock towers are keeping me away, plus I have my YZ-2 standard Carpet Edition running very well right now.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:35 AM   #2003
Tech Regular

The Carpet Edition isn't even released yet

Nothing wrong with plastic towers, see the B-Max2 and lots of other cars.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #2004
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

^^^^^^^^^^^
Airtronics MT-4
Hobbywing
rippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #2005
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisV View Post
The Carpet Edition isn't even released yet

Nothing wrong with plastic towers, see the B-Max2 and lots of other cars.
Every YZ-2 sold to date is a carpet edition.
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #2006
Tech Rookie

Weight distribution largely depends on battery location and added weight, so your numbers below probably don't mean much.

My YZ2 is 1512g, 42.7% front weight. This is with a shorty all the way forward and no added weight.

Laydown B5M's are about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannow View Post

Rear Front
kf 57% 43%
Xb2 58% 42%
kf low grip 60% 40%
yz2 62% 38%
b5m 64% 36%

josh18_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:07 PM   #2007
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
Every YZ-2 sold to date is a carpet edition.
Thank you.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:21 AM   #2008
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Thank you.
No it isn't . The "new" (thus Carpet) car has been developed to be more easy to drive on high traction surfaces. The 'dirt' car has more flex and weight distribution which should be better to drive on low-medium grip tracks.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #2009
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This is news to everyone then because as far as we know the YZ-2 was developed specifically for high-traction surfaces, including carpet. that they've retooled it slightly is something else, but there is very little difference outside the transmission itself. All the news I've read explains that the updates for both the Dirt & Carpet Editions bolt directly onto the current original chassis which is why I find it odd for it to state it has a new chassis.

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2016...turf-editions/
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #2010
Tech Regular

Not true, again.

DT parts are not able to be mounted on the current YZ2 chassis, hence the new part numbers Z2-0022 and Z2-002SP2. The 3 gear CA edition, however, is able to be mounted on the current chassis.